Thank You Toby Enstrom!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Not good enough for NHL (his agent said he was looking for a lucrative NHL contract, didn’t get one), and not good enough for Elitserien (tier 1 in Sweden). Been saying for months that he won’t play in the NHL ever again, and that’s not by his choice.

Unfortunately, it is his choice. If what you are saying is true, Enstrom should have just dropped the price. If Enstrom was looking for $1.5 million/season, I have no doubt the Jets would have signed him over Morrow. Maybe he still thinks he is worth $5.7 million. I guess he would not be low-balled, so he left for Sweden. MODO is in the Swedish top league (SHL), so obviously he is still good enough to play in the best league in his country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Unfortunately, it is his choice. If what you are saying is true, Enstrom should have just dropped the price. If Enstrom was looking for $1.5 million/season, I have no doubt the Jets would have signed him over Morrow. Maybe he still thinks he is worth $5.7 million. I guess he would not be low-balled, so he left for Sweden. MODO is in the Swedish top league (SHL), so obviously he is still good enough to play in the best league in his country.

I think it’s true because I read an interview with his agent at the beginning of the post season where he was quoted as saying that Toby was looking for a lucrative NHL contract.

Modo plays in Hockeyallsvenskan nowadays which is second tier, akin to AHL or Mestis. SEL/Elitserien is above it.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Not good enough for NHL (his agent said he was looking for a lucrative NHL contract, didn’t get one), and not good enough for Elitserien (tier 1 in Sweden). Been saying for months that he won’t play in the NHL ever again, and that’s not by his choice.
that's bs. 700+ NHL games is huge in any European league. MODO is his 1st choice because it's his youth team, lots of former NHLers do that, even if they could easily find a better team/league/pay elsewhere

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
that's bs. 700+ NHL games is huge in any European league. MODO is his 1st choice because it's his youth team, lots of former NHLers do that, even if they could easily find a better team/league/pay

You are free to disagree with his stated intent.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I think it’s true because I read an interview with his agent at the beginning of the post season where he was quoted as saying that Toby was looking for a lucrative NHL contract.

Modo plays in Hockeyallsvenskan nowadays which is second tier, akin to AHL or Mestis. SEL/Elitserien is above it.

Allsvenskan is NOT akin to AHL or Mestis.

Swedish system is superior to FEL or to even NHL: SEL is quite small league and Allsvenskan is the 1st division for that. There is constant flow of teams back and forth SEL to Allsvenskan and Allsvenskan to SEL. Four best Allsvenskan teams together with 2 worst SEL teams will play playout games each season. Out of 14 SEL teams at least 4 of them have been in Allsvenskan during the last 10 years.

NHL and FEL are relatively huge leagues with (way too) many teams, and AHL teams never become NHL teams. For Mestis teams that's pretty much the same, as they can't just play well to become FEL teams, but if they have enough money they might be able to buy FEL league license.

It's not possible for an AHL team to be better than a NHL team. Or for a Mestis team to be better than a FEL team. But an Allsvenskan team might be better than a SEL team.

Back in the days things were different for FEL, but then Finnish hockey decision makers got drunk or high or something, and things didn't went well.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Toby Enstrom Practicing With Swedish Team, Expected To Make Decision Soon

Enstrom is currently practicing with his former team in Sweden, MODO, and has yet to make a decision on where to play in 2018-19. Swedish news outlet Aftonbladet spoke with MODO GM Michael Sundlov, who wants to sign Enstrom and expects the veteran NHL defenseman to make a decision soon. Interestingly MODO was relegated in 2016 and actually now plays in the Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second tier. Enstrom’s brother Tommy Enstrom plays on the club and wore an “A” as an alternate captain last season, giving the team another bargaining chip to bring to the table.

Reactions: Trilliann

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Then he is delusional. The most Toby would get is $2.0 million.

Not so sure. I looked at the leading scorers for 2017-18 in the SHL, and the North American players that came in, one dominated the league and won the scoring race. He never played an NHL game, and alternated between AHL and ECHL before turning to Sweden. It's a league on par with the AHL, or even inferior.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Then he is delusional. The most Toby would get is $2.0 million.

Not so sure. I looked at the leading scorers for 2017-18 in the SHL, and the North American players that came in, one dominated the league and won the scoring race. He never played an NHL game, and alternated between AHL and ECHL before turning to Sweden. It's a league on par with the AHL, or even inferior.

European hockey, like European football, has club teams float from one league to another depending on their records in seasons prior.

It wasn't long ago that Modo was an SEL team, even being league champions. Winnipeger's should be well aware of Modo's history of playing talent. That was Anders Hedberg's home club.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Toby is listed as on a PTO in Chicago

edit:it’s on the hockey writers so not sure of accuracy.

Last edited:

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Toby is listed as on a PTO in Chicago

edit:it’s on the hockey writers so not sure of accuracy.
This?
https://thehockeywriters.com/predicting-professional-tryouts-2018/

It's just their predictions
"...my best guesses for where 70 unrestricted free agents — 38 forwards, 26 defencemen and six goaltenders — could potentially land on PTOs."
"So far, the only known PTO commitments are Simon Despres, with his hometown Montreal Canadiens, and Mark Letestu, with the Florida Panthers."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad