Thank you Thomas Vanek

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
All the best to him, great player, nice person, underrated leader.

I think he might just completely explode playing with Tavares.

Also, duddy, don't move to the Isles board now kthnxbai.

lol Corts, you know this is my home.

Thanks Vanek, the only reason we got the All Star Game and NHL playoffs on live Austrian TV. It was fantastic watching you **** the Bruins and Bolts, time and time again. Try to win a cup in the next few years, so I get to see the Cup in person. As much people rag on his effort, this guy was all heart and soul, played through more injuries than any other player, came to play for the national team in the B WC with a ****ed up hip. Wanted to keep on playing after Boychuk chop his leg in 2 in the playoffs, couldn't walk but always wanted to be out there.

Best Austrian born Hockey player of All time. He showed how you're gonna make it to the NHL from such a small country, I hope a lot of young guys follow his way.

Time for Joel Armia to fill his void sooner or later.

pyroxen

Feb 26, 2013
My fav hockey player. Never thought he'd ever leave Buffalo but on the other hand i so want him to win the cup. Not sure he will sign with the Isles again, i guess he'll be with the wild. But until then i hope he lights up the league with JTs help.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
There go the slapshot shootout goals, and many more memories. It had to be done, but it's sad nonetheless.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I have mixed feelings on Vanek...part of me thinks the only reason we really had him is because we lost Drury/Briere so we had to sign him to this deal.

Sometimes he was stellar, and other times he was a big letdown. I'm not sure how much of that was truly him or Ruff being hard on him.

I actually like this trade a lot...it has the potential to help build this team for the future.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
I'll always remember the time he reluctantly said my baby was cute in the Williamsville Target.

Also, he was a pretty good hockey player.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I'll always remember the time he reluctantly said my baby was cute in the Williamsville Target.

Also, he was a pretty good hockey player.

lol...what's the background on this?

Did you frame the question as "Do you think my baby is cute?" or was he just looking for something nice to say? :laugh:

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Thank you for several great moments and for always being a true professional. You are a class act and I hope that you get your taste of winning. Good luck!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
:handclap::handclap::handclap:

I think Vanek has been very under-appreciated at times because he wasn't Jarome Iginla. His skill and willingness to go to the front of the net will be missed.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
Thomas was among my favorite Sabres for the entire time he was here. I loved how would make a seemingly harmless looking shot into a nightmare for the goaltender, and then it's in the back of the net. He gave nothing short of all he had for Buffalo, and I hope that he finds continued success on Long Island, and wherever else he may find himself!

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I wish I could find that Vanek goal from last year where he just passed the puck to himself off the wall and scored a goal with little to no effort at all.

I always thought he'd end up a Bruin because he played phenomenally against them.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Knew he was gone some time between now and July, but still feels weird to see him actually traded. Gonna miss watching you beat the B's for us and stuff.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I wish I could find that Vanek goal from last year where he just passed the puck to himself off the wall and scored a goal with little to no effort at all.

There are vid like this (I think) going back to 2010 or so. Should be able to track it down.
I thought it might've been against NYR last year, but watching it on here (3:11), it looks like he just took the pass from Pminville off the boards.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
There are vid like this (I think) going back to 2010 or so. Should be able to track it down.
I thought it might've been against NYR last year, but watching it on here (3:11), it looks like he just took the pass from Pminville off the boards.

I want to say it was against Boston.

edit: geez, maybe it was a 2012 goal

Last edited:

HP00

Oct 27, 2007
Buffalo, NY
gahh, I was doing so well with my hockey jerseys, the players I have have all been on the team for so long, I thought it was good luck but its going down hill so fast.

Vanek (Bought in 2006) - 2013
Pominville (Bought in 2008) - 2013
Ennis (Bought in 2011) - ?
Foligno (Bought in 2012) - ?

And the soon to be departed

Miller (Bought in 2007) - 2014?

My poor mom though saw her favorite get traded less than a year after she got his jersey (Afinogenov)

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
My eyes!!! :cry:

BXqxs0ECYAEe0gD.jpg

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If you put stock in hockey-reference's point shares measurement Vanek was the 7th most productive skater in team history (not per-game)

top 10

Gil
Phil
Rick
Mike
Bill
Dave
Thom
Miro
Jim
Alexei

Dsmietana

Nov 16, 2011
I am sad about this. You will be missed dearly Thomas and we all have a new 2nd Fav team to cheer for!!! Thank you for your effort and the bulk of your career. Go win a cup!!!!

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I kinda hope Vanek signs with Minnesota this summer. Re-uniting with Pommers in his "old neighborhood" would give the story a good end. Plus it'll be easier bare. This is going to take me a while to get over. It was the right move and everything, but it's still sad.

Again, thanks for everything. Go win a cup (in Minny).

koarl

Mar 19, 2011
Graz / Austria
Thanks TV for all. I didn't have any objections for him becoming an all time Sabre with a shot at the most franchise goals scored.
But obviously, the rebuild wasn't "short term" as he wanted it to be. So it's the best decision to move on.

After watching some nostalgia videos, it became really obvious how things have changed here....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->