Confirmed with Link: Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
That's funny coming from a player who neither grabbed the puck, nor dumped the puck, rarely chased a guy, and never tried to hit.

Hal Gill said the same thing when he left. It was JMs philosophy and none of the players liked it. It makes no sense to tell smurfs to dump the puck and then go in against the Chara's of the world to get it.

I think the game plan has changed quite a bit with Therrien.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
A real testimonial to how "great" a coach martin was. No plan, no intelligence, just some half-assed attempt to not be a total buffoon.

How that goof didn't get fired out the door sooner is a marvel. I can't believe we let Muller leave in favour of keeping the sleeping idiot.

That sounds a lot more like Cunneypuck than Martin hockey.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
TSN says it's $700,000. Imagine you were making a hundred grand a year and lost your job, went on the free market and the best you could attract was ten thousand bucks, brutal.

If he tears it up in SJ who do we blame ?

its not that all he could manage was 700k... hes alrdy made 6 million or something alone this year doing nothing... its ASSUMED by all teams he wont be asking for a 3 million dollar contract..

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Hal Gill said the same thing when he left. It was JMs philosophy and none of the players liked it. It makes no sense to tell smurfs to dump the puck and then go in against the Chara's of the world to get it.

Yet you had guys like Pacioretty and Cole putting up career numbers and "smurfs" like Desharnais excelling, Cammalleri leading the playoffs in goal scoring, etc.

It seems to me that many of our forwards were successful under this stifling offensive system. It might be more accurate to say that it didn't work for Scott Gomez, not that it didn't work for our team.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's interesting that Scotty would have that excuse about Montreal. I wonder what his excuse for his wonderful play in New York would be? He got his money although not his fault and any of us would have done the same, I just don't see how he forgot how to compete ala his Devils days. I think you will see a much better player now that he has to try and earn a contract for next year. This type of crap is why the NFL is the superior league, you don't perform, see ya jack.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Poor Sharks... I wonder where he fits in to that line-up, though. Thornton and Marleau must be ahead of him, so third line center?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I hope he plays well with the Sharks, also hoping Wade Redden plays well too.
The guy never did anything wrong, he just didn't deserve the money he was given for what he was offering.
Hard to turn down that kind of money if someone was offering you it.

They never did anything wrong?

They're getting paid big bucks and then they let themselves go.

Their behavior is very much unethical in my opinion. If you get that kind of contract you have a responsibility to give it 100%.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It should be ourselves. He was finished in this town before he even got here. He never had a chance and once things went south for him we made sure he stayed down. We wanted him to fail, and it happened.

BS.

People were content with Gomez after his 58 point first season that took us to the conference finals. I remember posters on another board debating Gomez vs Plekanec. We were not thrilled with Gomez, we still wanted McDonagh, but I think people were content.

He then proceeded to decline to 38 points the next season, and to 11 points the season after that.

His 11 points in 38 games last year were really bad. If you look up advanced stats Martin and Cunneyworth were really babying him. He had much, much easier minutes than Desharnais, Eller, etc.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
BS.

People were content with Gomez after his 58 point first season that took us to the conference finals. I remember posters on another board debating Gomez vs Plekanec. We were not thrilled with Gomez, we still wanted McDonagh, but I think people were content.

He then proceeded to decline to 38 points the next season, and to 11 points the season after that.

His 11 points in 38 games last year were really bad. If you look up advanced stats Martin and Cunneyworth were really babying him. He had much, much easier minutes than Desharnais, Eller, etc.

Gomez was passable the first year. He was not as good as Plekanec, let alone a 1C, but he had good chemistry on the offensive line in the playoff run. The year after that he was a below average 2C, and then even more terrible-when healthy.

He did have positive puck possession last year, but it was in useless sheltered minutes, and even then he couldn't produce with it.

It's possible under a better coach and a new system in San Jose that a motivated and free of pressure Gomez can be productive, but he's nothing more than a marginal role player at this point.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

We had a pretty good record against the Bruins ("the Chara's of the world") under JM. The rivalry only lost momentum last year when the Habs were too pathetic for any Bruins game to be interesting besides trading Cammalleri in the middle of one.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Gomez was passable the first year. He was not as good as Plekanec, let alone a 1C, but he had good chemistry on the offensive line in the playoff run. The year after that he was a below average 2C, and then even more terrible-when healthy.

He did have positive puck possession last year, but it was in useless sheltered minutes, and even then he couldn't produce with it.

It's possible under a better coach and a new system in San Jose that a motivated and free of pressure Gomez can be productive, but he's nothing more than a marginal role player at this point.

He had the most points among all Habs in the second half of that season. He was almost PPG in that second half. Without Gomez, no playoffs that year. He was our best player besides Markov in that half season leading to the 2010 playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
He had the most points among all Habs in the second half of that season. He was almost PPG in that second half. Without Gomez, no playoffs that year. He was our best player besides Markov in that half season leading to the 2010 playoffs.

Not to mention he was the top matchup line that year. Pleks was taking the defensive zone draws but faced worse players, which allowed Cammalleri a chance to shine.

Martin didn't baby Gomez at all the first two years. He was getting a ton of offensive zone draws but started his shifts about equal. It was the ridiculous number of offensive zone draws he generated by opposing saves against his line that led to the tilted zone start those years.

Pleks started seeing the top opposition in 10-11 though.

Its hard to tell if he really sucked in 10-11 or was just horrifically unlucky. His line controlled the play but that might have been Pacioretty and Gionta being terrors at driving the puck forward. So good chance he might have been carried by linemates. Played horrific with AKost, was a positive player outside that disaster. Probably should have kept Pouliot with him when you didn't have Pacioretty. Playing Moen-Gomez together is a recipe for a lot of ineffective shots.

What's really hard to tell is how much he was mooching of Gionta's all round play. He essentially was 21's personal caddy.

Its actually really striking how horriffic the Habs were outside Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec that first year. They were the top four forwards of a decent playoff team surrounded by depth that couldn't manage anything and a defense that couldn't move the puck.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
\Its actually really striking how horriffic the Habs were outside Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri and Plekanec that first year. They were the top four forwards of a decent playoff team surrounded by depth that couldn't manage anything and a defense that couldn't move the puck.

Benoit Pouliot had a good run that year in the few weeks after the trade.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Poor Sharks... I wonder where he fits in to that line-up, though. Thornton and Marleau must be ahead of him, so third line center?

Thronton and Couture are their top 2 centers, Marleau plays the wing. But yes, I believe Gomez is slated to be their 3rd line center.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Thronton and Couture are their top 2 centers, Marleau plays the wing. But yes, I believe Gomez is slated to be their 3rd line center.

Id say with Galiardi and Wingels maybe

I dont like the fact that Gomez receives a full salary from the habs and on top of that he signs for another 700k$.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I hope things go well for Gomez. He was unfairly villified by some fans for his contract. I don't think he ever showed up to the rink saying "I think I'll suck today" but things went sideways here and a new start is good for him.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I don't know if he will find his game back but he's definitely on a better environment which always help. He still have the wheels that for sure but will he be able to find his linemates after crossing the blue line, something he couldn't do anymore in his last season here.

Still good luck for him.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I hope things go well for Gomez. He was unfairly villified by some fans for his contract. I don't think he ever showed up to the rink saying "I think I'll suck today" but things went sideways here and a new start is good for him.

Unfortunately the contract was always going to be the sticking point. Gomez brought some intangibles to the team and often that is worth a bit more in a contract but not to the point where he earns elite player money. For that kind of money expectations are high.

He'll do well in SJ. Not blaming him for signing the contract... but... perhaps... all agents should take note of the damage they can do to a players career and reputation by being over zealous in negotiations. NJ offered him fair money and his agent parlayed that into stupid money from Sather.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Benoit Pouliot had a good run that year in the few weeks after the trade.

Yes, but similar to how Kostitsyn was having some decent runs with 13-14. As the third man to a decent forward pairing.

It was a lot better team on paper with Markov and Moore and SK74 playing well with Moore. But by then they had committed to playing like Switzerland.

Which worked well so no complaints, but it was an odd choice to give up on skating with the opposition and just play to help the goalie and score on the rush/PP.

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Not sure if it was posted or not, but if anyone was wondering why SJ signed him...

542400_403361863089102_2032528642_n.jpg

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->