Thank You Matt Cullen!

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
When the Crosby/Malkin era ends and the Cups (whatever the number ends up) are celebrated and all the tributes and videos and done and the endless conversations are had about where Sid ranks all time are had forever I hope people, and certainly Pens fans, don't forget the contribution made by guys like this.

I'm not gonna get over dramatic and say we wouldn't have won without him, but guys like Cullen contributed so much to this amazing era.

Good luck going forward, dad.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I never realized how much I underrated Matt Cullen before he came to Pittsburgh. I always thought he was just the run-of-the-mill bottom 6 plug who could kill some penalties.

When he came to the Penguins and I got a chance to watch him every night I really started to see how big of an impact he had on a team. He was a very pivotal part of both Stanley Cups while he was here. One of the most versatile players that we've had here in Pittsburgh for quite a while.

We're gunna miss ya, Dad.

SomeOldDude

May 27, 2016
VA
Damn that sucks, I love Cully! To be 40 and still contributing the way he did the last few years is amazing. He was definitely one of the key factors to these two cups. it's wierd because I figured he would have retired, but hey...if you can make a mill a year why not!

Thanks for all of the great replays Dad...good luck!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

The guy had a knack for scoring key goals. I'll be rooting for him and the Wild.

Indeed he did
Even against the Rags last year in game 3 scored that clutch goal

I will miss him, what a great leader he was and I will miss all the videos of his kids around the guys in the room

Best of luck Matt and thank you for 2 fantastic seasons

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
This bums me the **** out.

Don't worry! I was sorta kidding. I know my Dad, I see him rarely and he wasn't around much but I'm not worried about it. I had one of the loveliest mothers ever who did all she could for me and my sister.

I didn't actually think of Cullen as "Dad" I just wanted to joke about that nickname for him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Matt Cullen is becoming the NHL's version of Brett Favre with the indecisiveness on his future during every off season. I'm sure he does this again next summer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was one of the most thrilled people on this board when JR signed Cullen, even when most weren't and then changed their minds when they saw how good Cullen actually was, but man it sucks to see him play 1 final year on another team instead of trying for a three-peat but I get it, home is where the heart is and his is back home in Minnesota.

Glad his name is etched forever on the Stanley Cup in back 2 back cups.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Don't worry! I was sorta kidding. I know my Dad, I see him rarely and he wasn't around much but I'm not worried about it. I had one of the loveliest mothers ever who did all she could for me and my sister.

I didn't actually think of Cullen as "Dad" I just wanted to joke about that nickname for him.

I barely saw my mother as she was a needle junkie and is dead now, raised by my dad.:laugh:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
a great player and a great personality. he meant a lot to this team. i think he had an interesting choice in front of him. as penguins fans, the choice was fairly easy for us to make but he was drawn in a different direction. i find it hard to begrudge him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I liked the pick up right off the bat as well cuz i watched him in his late 30's play 2C for NSH in the playoffs vs CHI cuz of an injury to one of thier C's and he didn't look out of place at all. He was great in that series and was very happy when JR reached out and landed him.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
When the Crosby/Malkin era ends and the Cups (whatever the number ends up) are celebrated and all the tributes and videos and done and the endless conversations are had about where Sid ranks all time are had forever I hope people, and certainly Pens fans, don't forget the contribution made by guys like this.

I'm not gonna get over dramatic and say we wouldn't have won without him, but guys like Cullen contributed so much to this amazing era.

Good luck going forward, dad.

Woah woah woah.... Lets simmer down here. He was a contributor to the team, but he wasnt amazing like Craig Adams! :sarcasm:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wish he'd come back - had an impact completely out of keeping with his cap hit and notional role - but all the best anyway. He'll be missed.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Matt Cullen is becoming the NHL's version of Brett Favre with the indecisiveness on his future during every off season. I'm sure he does this again next summer.

He's earned it. Just like Favre. Play until nobody wants you. Do what you love until you can't anymore, or until you don't want to anymore. No shame in that.

Thanks Matt Cullen!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bring him back at the deadline. We'll need him.

In that case, you better hope the Wild have mass injuries and are way out of the playoffs and then Fletch asks Cullen if he wants to be traded to the Penguins because JR won't stop texting him and sending him cookies and crates of milk.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In that case, you better hope the Wild have mass injuries and are way out of the playoffs and then Fletch asks Cullen if he wants to be traded to the Penguins because JR won't stop texting him and sending him cookies and crates of milk.

Operation: Cripple Minnesota is go. We'll trade Reaves to Minnesota's opposition every game and tell him to run all of them bar Cullen.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Hard to overestimate what he brought to the Pens the last 2 years.

He really let Crosby and Malkin do their thing. The coaching staff could throw him out there to win the majority of the defensive zone faceoffs and give the two-headed monster opportunities to do what they do best and not worry as much about shutting down the opposition. It will be hard to replace that, and Sid and Geno will need to do even more to make this team successful if they can't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->