Boston Bruins THANK YOU BRUINS - It wasn't the end we wanted but the future is bright

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Well it was a fun ride while it lasted. Team has some challenges (Krecji contract and Z maybe done) but I love the depth of young talent here and on the way. Future does indeed look bright.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I would trade Krejci. That’s it. The UFA ‘s will take care of itself. Some will be gone if not all. There goes a lot of age. Bring up some kids. The need a second line center and demote Krejci to 3rd line if they can’t trade him.

Reactions: hoss75

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I keep seeing people say Z is done. I don't see it. He is not what he was 5 years ago but in my opinion he is far from done.

his job in round one was to shut down Matthews - result was 1 G 1 A and a minus 4 in 7 games. - mission accomplished

his job in round two was to shut down Stamkos - result 3 goals (one empty net) 7 assists - 10 points (6 came on the PP and one empty net so result 5 on 5 was 3 points in 5 games) - in my opinion mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I keep seeing people say Z is done. I don't see it. He is not what he was 5 years ago but in my opinion he is far from done.

his job in round one was to shut down Matthews - result was 1 G 1 A and a minus 4 in 7 games. - mission accomplished

his job in round two was to shut down Stamkos - result 3 goals (one empty net) 7 assists - 10 points (6 on came on the PP and one empty net so result 5 on 5 was 3 points in 5 games) - in my opinion mission accomplished.

Agreed he’s one of the 2 top pairing Dmen we have on this team. I sincerely hope he’s not done.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I'm gonna go ahead and say "No thanks."..... Just not good enough. Despite coming out on top, a bad series with Toronto and barely competitive at all with TB. Throw the $15 beers and trotting out idiots like Bruschi and Pedro Martinez to fire up the fans (wrong sport dummies) on top of it all. Yeah, no thanks.

Reactions: Strafer

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
Still disappointed with the result. We have amuch better team than the one who played in last 5 games. Seemed like they lost confidence and or gassed.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead and say "No thanks."..... Just not good enough. Despite coming out on top, a bad series with Toronto and barely competitive at all with TB. Throw the $15 beers and trotting out idiots like Bruschi and Pedro Martinez to fire up the fans (wrong sport dummies) on top of it all. Yeah, no thanks.
Can I ask you what your expectations were at the start of the season? I had them barely making the playoffs, let alone win a series.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
What an awesome ride we had this year! Who could have predicted that we would have ended up 2nd in the east? Who would have thought that the youth movement would have had the positive impact that it did? It's a shame that our boys are done but that doesn't take away the fact that this season was better than most of us could have dreamed!

It's a shame that so many choose to focus on the negative. There is only 1 Cup champion each year. That doesn't mean that the rest of the teams had a failed season. This was a season that the Bruins can surely build off. This was a season that will give us hope and them confidence moving forward. In my 45+ years of living and breathing the Boston Bruins, the future has almost never been brighter!

I love my Bruins and can't wait to see what next year brings!

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
One other thing I am worried about is the Marchand factor. I really believe the refs have it in for him and that they are calling or not calling penalties because of his antics. I know its not fair, but refs do not like to be shown up and Marchy's antics do that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
One other thing I am worried about is the Marchand factor. I really believe the refs have it in for him and that they are calling or not calling penalties because of his antics. I know its not fair, but refs do not like to be shown up and Marchy's antics do that.
I am sure he heard the message loud and clear.

Early this season I did not expect the B's to make the playoffs. With all of the injuries and young kids they did very well.

Tampa was the better team THIS year...But watch out the B's will be better next season.

I wouldn't bring Rick Nash back.

I hope Dobby stays...He saved the B's ass earlier this season .

IMO Adam McQuaid was one of the better D men in the playoffs. He is a keeper. Great # 5 or 6 (some nights he has looked even better).

It will help getting Carlo back.

Z had a decent season...Not as good in the playoffs but the whole team was off.

Got to get more scoring from players other that Pasta , Marchy and Bergy. What a year they had.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
This season completely blew away my expectations for this team.

I do not want to get my hopes too far up for next season but the future is bright.

So very proud of this group and I hope they can grow and gel even more next season.

Although I am very unhappy with the NHL right now, it does not diminish the what this team did this year.

Thanks you Bruins !!!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Not the way any of us wanted to this season to end - I think we all had visions of a Cup run in the back of our minds. But we lost to an excellent Tampa team that simply earned their four wins in the series. No complaints - they played better than we did when it mattered.

Still, this ended up being one of my favorite Bruins teams. They were exciting, they never quit, and I think they give us a ton of hope for the future.

So, despite the ending, I think this Bruins team deserves a stick tap. Personally, I can't wait until Training Camp.
It's hard to argue that Tampa wasn't at least a marginally better team, but to say they earned all four of their wins is a bit disingenuous. They tied up game 4 after an obvious penalty was not called that led directly to the tying goal. Plus, another obvious penalty (probably penalty shot) was let go (ref WAY out of position) in game 2 that could have tied up the game. Unfortunately, this series (and season) will be remembered more for the shitty officiating than it will for the way this team came together and played way better than most of us expected.

Reactions: Strafer and Ladyfan

Bruins93

Apr 17, 2018
Boston
I wasn't sure we'd make the playoffs to start the year and they smashed that expectation while developing some young studs. No idea how anyone can look at the entire body of work and say this season wasn't successful.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Still disappointed with the result. We have amuch better team than the one who played in last 5 games. Seemed like they lost confidence and or gassed.
I would say both gassed and less confidence....not fully healthy Debrusk march, bergy....

retr0

May 7, 2018
It's hard to argue that Tampa wasn't at least a marginally better team, but to say they earned all four of their wins is a bit disingenuous. They tied up game 4 after an obvious penalty was not called that led directly to the tying goal. Plus, another obvious penalty (probably penalty shot) was let go (ref WAY out of position) in game 2 that could have tied up the game. Unfortunately, this series (and season) will be remembered more for the ****ty officiating than it will for the way this team came together and played way better than most of us expected.

I agree with that game 2 one, but game 4 wasn’t obvious at all.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It was a better season than I thought.
The Bruins improved and the Habs blew chunks.

Im good.
Truth.

Cant wait to see how these kids (Heinen, McAvoy, Debrusk, Grzlycek, Kuraly) approach the game next year after getting full season and a couple rounds of playoff hockey under their belts - and seeing what the next wave can bring.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thank you Bruins for giving me so much joy and excitement this season. Beating Toronto felt so good! Tampa was clearly the better team even when accounting for the disastrous reffing issues. The Bruins were spent, gave us everything they had and I appreciate that. It doesn't come down to who wanted it more, who was hungrier,etc... I don't believe for one second every player didn't want to move on to the next round but guess what? There is another team playing that just may be more talented and fresh despite the Bruins doing everything they could. I'm sure the injuries will open our eyes as to why certain players were criticized for not playing well.

I can't wait until October. Thanks to Alicat, the mods, and all the great posters here. I wish you all a nice, relaxing summer.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I'm not sure how anyone can be disappointed with the result. They went up against a Tampa team that was considered the cream of the crop pretty much from the outset and be it not for a couple of ridiculous blown calls they could be up in the series 3-2 or at worst trailing 3-2 heading home. Considering all the injuries they have endured and the ridiculous schedule down the stretch and the fact that they had to play the number 6 and number 3 teams points-wise in the NHL as a reward for finishing 4th. The one thing I hope it has shown them is it is very difficult to move on in today's NHL with as bunch of pluggers on the 3rd and 4th lines. Regardless of how well you skate or hit or how tenacious you are, you need skill on those lines as well to provide scoring depth.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Do the Bruins now sacrifice a bit of their youth and picks for some good players to help them get over the hump next year?

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Well it was a fun ride while it lasted. Team has some challenges (Krecji contract and Z maybe done) but I love the depth of young talent here and on the way. Future does indeed look bright.

You do know that Z signed a 1 year contract for next year ?
Don't think he is done. I think he still contributes, but should be 2nd or 3rd pair.

Reactions: Marcobruin

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

did you just call Pedro and Bruschi idiots?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->