Boston Bruins THANK YOU BRUINS - It wasn't the end we wanted but the future is bright

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I hope they ditch the black socks next season.

From your lips to God's (or Cam's, or whoever is in charge at Adidas') ears. Black socks don't look right with those uniforms.

Have no idea how true or apocryphal this story is, but I believe the Bruins went with gold socks because Gerry Cheevers found it easier to pick up the puck against a backdrop of gold socks than black ones.

Reactions: Jdavidev

JuanBruin

Apr 7, 2018
La Plata, Argentina
It certainly didn't end the way we wanted, but it was such a fun season, and the rookies were a big reason for that. We even swept the Habs and eliminated Toronto. From December till mid February we were the hottest team in the NHL, those months were so fun to watch the Bruins. I'm proud of the way they battled through all the injuries.

The future looks even more promising now, and many of our young players have gained some playoff experience. I also think this was the best 4th line we had since the Merlot line.

Reactions: Ladyfan

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
From your lips to God's (or Cam's, or whoever is in charge at Adidas') ears. Black socks don't look right with those uniforms.

Have no idea how true or apocryphal this story is, but I believe the Bruins went with gold socks because Gerry Cheevers found it easier to pick up the puck against a backdrop of gold socks than black ones.
This is true, Cherry talks about it often.

Reactions: Strafer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Man good on you all but I'm gonna need more time before I can post anything that doesn't sound like sour grapes. Unlike most, I expected what the Bruins achieved as a bare minimum. Granted , all bets were off when I saw Carlo break his leg but.......................................still, sour grapes for me for now.

Tampa was the fresher, healthier and probably better team , but the better team doesn't always win, just watch almost every Bruins-Habs series from the 80's on for proof. The last thing they need was a thoroughly biased officiating core to help then out. Quit making fools of yourselves NHL, Tampa would probably have beaten the Bruins fair and square , why the fix?

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer and Ladyfan

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It's a sad ending to a successful season. There's never any shame in losing to a better team, and Tampa is definitely that. And for me at least, the Lightning are a team I enjoy watching, so there's no bitter aftertaste of losing to an unlikable team.

Looking at the bigger picture, I don't put any extra blame on the Game 5 loss to Toronto and extending that series. If we are going to say that, we might as well bring up the blown game against Florida to end the season that would have earned them an easier first round opponent as well as home ice against Tampa (not that that mattered).

Instead I would say the lack of killer instinct hurt them both times, as well as the numerous early leads they surrendered to both Toronto and Tampa.

And if we say the condensed schedule hurt them toward the end, we must also acknowledge the extra rest benefited them prior.

I really like Bruce Cassidy and think he learned valuable lessons. First of all, the team needs better starts to stop surrendering early leads (which also happened in the regular season), and he needs to be better matching lines at home. Starting Game 7 against Toronto with the 4th line was a blunder, as was having Gionta/Donato on the ice for the overtime loser in Game 4.

I've been reading Tom Brady's book and he discusses how he trains to avoid injury. Unfortunately for the B's, some of their injuries are just freak accidents, like Carlo's and Nash's.

I believe the future is bright, but it's incumbent on the front office not to rest on their laurels. Regression is possible, just ask Edmonton.

So it stings a little now, but it was a fun, unexpected ride this year.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I’m glad they went for it. Nash didn’t work out but if they had Spooner instead I think the results would have been about the same.

It’ll be fun to read reactions on Lindgren’s progress and whoever the Rangers draft with the pick we traded. Someone will flip out no matter what happens.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
. The last thing they need was a thoroughly biased officiating core to help then out. Quit making fools of yourselves NHL, Tampa would probably have beaten the Bruins fair and square , why the fix?

Precisely.

I too think the Bruins have a bright future, but if the terrible officiating continues against the B's in the playoffs, their future may not be so bright after all.

I hope the Bruins management will make their voice heard in the off season regarding the horse**** officiating.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Back in mid-November when we were on a losing streak, half the team was injured, and at our lowest point got dirt roaded by the Ducks and everyone was calling for major changes, if you told me the team would turn it around, come together under Cassidy's system, see rookies turn into legit contributors, go on one of the most entertaining runs the Bruins have had in the regular season in ages with games where Bergeron scored 4 goals, furious comebacks, multiple OT wins from Marchand, beating the Habs 3 times in a week and sweeping them on the season, rack up 112 points and come a game away from overcoming the huge lead that Tampa had by Thanksgiving, eliminate the Leafs in a game 7, and take a good Tampa team to 5 games in the second round despite serious injuries to a lot of contributors, I'd say that season would be a'ight.

Today sucked. I still hate every ref and the league. But the season was a'ight.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Back in mid-November when we were on a losing streak, half the team was injured, and at our lowest point got dirt roaded by the Ducks and everyone was calling for major changes, if you told me the team would turn it around, come together under Cassidy's system, see rookies turn into legit contributors, go on one of the most entertaining runs the Bruins have had in the regular season in ages with games where Bergeron scored 4 goals, furious comebacks, multiple OT wins from Marchand, beating the Habs 3 times in a week and sweeping them on the season, rack up 112 points and come a game away from overcoming the huge lead that Tampa had by Thanksgiving, eliminate the Leafs in a game 7, and take a good Tampa team to 5 games in the second round despite serious injuries to a lot of contributors, I'd say that season would be a'ight.

Today sucked. I still hate every ref and the league. But the season was a'ight.

You summed up the season perfectly. The Bruins SHOULD have knocked out Toronto in 5 but didn't and then had to deal with the horrible civic tragedy that Toronto has hours before Game 6. Meanwhile, Tampa was resting after an easy first round with the Devils.

When you lose a playoff series 4-1 and fail to win a game at home there really are no sour grapes.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played with a consistent level of compete/hustle all season
Overcame an insane amount of injuries over the course of the year
Resilient, rarely did I see this team fold up their tents and head home when behind
Entertaining
Insertion of youth
Cupboard looking pretty full with prospects
Core still has plenty of gas left in the tank
Exceeded any expectations I had prior to the season opening up

Disappointing way to finish yesterday, not going to cry over spilled milk. I`m not going to use this as an excuse as everyone has some injuries this time of year but I`m guessing were going to hear DeBrusk was fighting through issues, Marchand, clearly Krug was going to be done and let`s not forget Carlo, played some big minutes for this team

Fun season, should be an interesting off season too. Thanks Bruins

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
It feels like only a few weeks ago when we were dreading the early west-coast trip. After we beat L.A and San Jose we all started to believe and the season steamrolled from there.

The magic about sports is that there's always next year. The endless cycle of rebirth. Here's to 2018-19!

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Tampa competed harder, better team won. Very good season for the B’s. However I’m expecting a trip to the Conference Finals next season.

How much does Rick Nash earn in free agency? I don’t see a team offering him more than 4m per

Reactions: lopey

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This team was something else this year. And it was amazing to watch.

Theres a lot to be said for a team that just never seemed to be "out of it." They always competed hard. And more importantly, they seemed to bond more so than the prior recent seasons. They had each others backs.

In the end, many of them looked flat out gassed. And Im sure many were banged up.

Im excited for the future. And I like to think that this exit from the postseason only leaves this team hungry for more.

I know it left me feeling that way :laugh:

GO B's!

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Disappointing end. Next October Bergy will be 33 and Krejci 32,.Chara 42. The future better be now or tomorrow but not next week.

The future looks like a bunch of aging vets next year with Bergy 33, Marchand 30, Krejci 32, Backes 34, McQuaid 32, Miller 31, Chara 42, Rask 31, Kubdobin 32.

Present UFA's which I hope we don't consider resigning: Rick Nash 34, Holden 31, Wingels 30, Riley Nash 29, Schaller 28

Sweeney has a lot of work to do. Somehow he needs to get rid of Backes and Krejci's contracts. He needs to find some additional talent on the back end and he needs to find a back-up goalie for the future.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The future looks like a bunch of aging vets next year with Bergy 33, Marchand 30, Krejci 32, Backes 34, McQuaid 32, Miller 31, Chara 42, Rask 31, Kubdobin 32.

Present UFA's which I hope we don't consider resigning: Rick Nash 34, Holden 31, Wingels 30, Riley Nash 29, Schaller 28

Sweeney has a lot of work to do. Somehow he needs to get rid of Backes and Krejci's contracts. He needs to find some additional talent on the back end and he needs to find a back-up goalie for the future.

One more run with some upgrades and some improvement in the rookies is probably doable. I also would look to upgrade Rick Nash,keep Schaller and Riley Nash for lower money than his regular season play probably warranted. Backes is a problem,just not good enough. Chara can be terrible and great in the same game too often. McQuaid is a good teammate but short on talent,Miller,like Chara,can stink and excel on the same shift. I think they can win with Rask and Khudobin,but not with 1 goal. Krejci and Bergeron are entering decline years but I expect Bergeron to sustain his level of play longer. Krejci I'd shop.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Team is about two years ahead of where I thought they would be at this time so I am in a good place with the Bruins.

Each year I get in a worse place with the NHL in general. They really need to do something about the bad calls in the playoffs. Ref's need to be held accountable for bad games. When the refs directly impact the outcome of a series due to multiple bad calls they need to be fined or something.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
The path to the Cup has to go through the Leafs and Bolts. Their futures look bright too. Buff and Panthers are young and on the rise. Redwings and Habs have longer rebuilds.

So how, with aging Chara, Bergy, and DK on an even faster slide, do we develop down the middle strength and a shutdown #1 defenseman? Who replaces Bergy in a year or two as the do-it-all #1 Center? How do we combat the physical onslaught Tampa gave us?

The regular season was fun. The Leafs series was the best of times and the worst of times. The Bolts series raises more questions than answers.

The shame again is Bergeron had an epic season and deserved a better conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->