Thank god for the lockout...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Alright, what follows is premature as hell, but I was thinking about how lucky we are right now, and how the lockout may be the best thing to happen to the Bolts since Stamkos was drafted. Hear me out...

Last season, we have Guy Boucher as our head coach, a goaltending tandem of Lindback and Garon, and Conacher slating somewhere in our top 9. We have a good prospect pool, but we're lacking in elite talent outside of Vasilevskiy, and it looks like it's going to be a long couple of years. Then, Stevie ****ing Yzerman turns the pisswater that was that season into the wine we're tasting this year.

Without the lockout, we would have had to struggle through 82 games of sucking, and since we were far more talented than we were playing, we probably would have ended up picking ~10 rather than 3. That's the difference between Bo Horvat and Jonathan Drouin. That's some huge ****ing luck right there. Not to mention Erne probably wouldn't have been on the board much longer in the second round, either. Without the compressed season, we would have waited longer to trade Honey Badger, and his production would have dropped off, which means his value may not have been enough to snag Bishop, our current #1 goaltender. Guy Boucher got fired, and Cooper got a taste of coaching at the NHL level, getting to know the players and giving him the ability to create the foundation that was built on over the summer. Things could have happened VERY differently over an 82 game season, including a pointless winning streak that would have had Guy keep his job. A few prospects that could have been more rushed in an 82 game season, were instead given plenty of time in the AHL, but were able to come up to get a taste of the speed and strength of the NHL, and we are able to reap those awards by having no fears of slating TJ as our #3C, with Palat and Killorn making huge contributions, not to mention Gudas.

Some teams came out of the 2004 lockout a lot stronger than they were before. I think we may be a good example of a team that got lucky with the 48 game season last year, which may help us come out much stronger as well. Was just thinking about that in the shower today, and thought I would share.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Well, I was thinking of how sexy Bish looked last night pulling our ass from the fire, doing my thang, then the rest of the rant formed around it.

:laugh:

You have some good points, though. I tend to agree that if not for the condensed season, we would have finished higher.

The Conacher trade, I'm not really sure it's a contingency of the lockout. I think Yzerman would have pulled the trigger on that anyway.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So we have the 10th pick and trade it for Schneider, a player everyone wanted more and were willing to overpay for, I don't think we'd be complaining about that.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
So we have the 10th pick and trade it for Schneider, a player everyone wanted more and were willing to overpay for, I don't think we'd be complaining about that.

Yeah but our situation is better than that now. Drouin will be a top winger for a decade or two... and Bishop is=> Schneider.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Alright, what follows is premature as hell, but I was thinking about how lucky we are right now, and how the lockout may be the best thing to happen to the Bolts since Stamkos was drafted. Hear me out...

Last season, we have Guy Boucher as our head coach, a goaltending tandem of Lindback and Garon, and Conacher slating somewhere in our top 9. We have a good prospect pool, but we're lacking in elite talent outside of Vasilevskiy, and it looks like it's going to be a long couple of years. Then, Stevie ****ing Yzerman turns the pisswater that was that season into the wine we're tasting this year.

Without the lockout, we would have had to struggle through 82 games of sucking, and since we were far more talented than we were playing, we probably would have ended up picking ~10 rather than 3. That's the difference between Bo Horvat and Jonathan Drouin. That's some huge ****ing luck right there. Not to mention Erne probably wouldn't have been on the board much longer in the second round, either. Without the compressed season, we would have waited longer to trade Honey Badger, and his production would have dropped off, which means his value may not have been enough to snag Bishop, our current #1 goaltender. Guy Boucher got fired, and Cooper got a taste of coaching at the NHL level, getting to know the players and giving him the ability to create the foundation that was built on over the summer. Things could have happened VERY differently over an 82 game season, including a pointless winning streak that would have had Guy keep his job. A few prospects that could have been more rushed in an 82 game season, were instead given plenty of time in the AHL, but were able to come up to get a taste of the speed and strength of the NHL, and we are able to reap those awards by having no fears of slating TJ as our #3C, with Palat and Killorn making huge contributions, not to mention Gudas.

Some teams came out of the 2004 lockout a lot stronger than they were before. I think we may be a good example of a team that got lucky with the 48 game season last year, which may help us come out much stronger as well. Was just thinking about that in the shower today, and thought I would share.

HEAR ME OUT LOL

I believe in karma and that everything in life balances itself over time etc.. and that kind of stuff. I played poker semi pro for a few years and it balanced itself out bad beats good cards runs of luck etc.. Very interesting came out way ahead cause I am a good player and studied a lot about the game and followed rules etc.. got odds on my side etc..

WE GOT ROYALLY SCREWED by lockout number one. I feel this honestly would we have done it again? Would we have stayed on top for a few years? Would we have ever had OK DUMMIES? God the chain of events by losing a full season after a cup run is the most maddening thing I think I have witnessed in my sport watching life :amazed:

So now second lockout? It balances and now the spectrum seems to swing in the other direction?

I think its very fair honestly I am very happy it didnt take 2-3 more lockouts or something to get the luck at least equal on our side lol.

We will have some more peaks and valleys I promise:) Just hope they are smaller than the two extremes we have had in the last what 8 years?

There will be times we wont win no matter the team we put on ice where we struggle or have injuries or whatever sometimes making zero sense it happens to everyone:)

Good news is future is bright got a very good organization doing the right things hopefully the LUCK STAYS WHERE IT BELONGS ON OUR SIDE:)

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
I've thought these same thoughts many a time as well. Even based on the fact that we tanked on a short season instead of a full season was nice in its own regard. Then when you look at the fact that we tanked on a year where the top 4 prospects were arguably better than the #1 picks the year or two before, well now we are getting somewhere. You also bring up a good point on how we got Erne, who would have been gone long before our likely 6-10th 2nd round pick...

I had never thought about the whole Connacher-Bish trade. We really did get lucky there. We got Bish at a really good value, and I doubt that value would have stayed with Connacher much longer.

Tie it all together with bringing Coop up, and the young guys getting more time to become amazing, and you have a lockout that made us much better... Got to love the way the world works some days.:yo:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think we could have made the playoffs in a longer season, depending on how long it would've taken to can Boucher. At the end of last season some key players were obviously not interested, and the whole team underachieved. It was some of the worst hockey we ever saw from Stamkos. I think if Cooper took over halfway through last year, he would have turned it around and we could have snuck in at #8.

I'm pretty happy with Drouin though, and the compliance buy-out we used on Lecavalier it clear room for Filppula (as much as it pains me to admit, no offense to Vinny).

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You guys think about Bishop while in the shower too?

Patricio_la_estrella.jpg

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If not for the lockout I can say with almost certainty that Brian Lee would've won the Norris.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I disagree. With 82 games we may have #1 overall pick. Traded it for #3 and and #33, and still got Drouin plus a future all star that the 2nd round pick would have turned into (may be Olaf Needmorevodakaov ?).

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Oh yeah, and without we wouldn't have been able to buy Vinny out. As much as I like Vinny, that contract would've killed us in long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad