Rumor: TFP: Kings Looking to Re-sign Greene and Mitchell Early - What do you think?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Mitchell recovering from a knee injury is still our best defensive defenseman. And he still hasn't found the top of his game yet. Yes ****ng please. And Greene is the anchor on that bottom pair, a great PKer, takes stupid penalties but makes up for it with his physicality (no one clears the front of the net like him), shot blocking, and leadership. Want him back too. I want Regehr shipped to Latvia.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
How much breathing room do we have? Im not a cap freak but doesn't our dear cap'ns cap almost double soon?

Well, right now they have about $54.4M committed to 14 players, leaving just under $10M to fill the other 9 spots if the cap stays the same. However, it figures to go up $4M or $5M, giving them a total of around $14M to fill out the roster.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/lak131023.html

What do you guys think? Re-sign them? Get rid of them? Lowball them and let it play out? How much do they deserve and how much are they going to actually get? Trade Clifford for Niskanen? :P

It was King for Niskanen :P Take King!

For Mitchell, wait it out for a while, at least until closer to the trade deadline. He's ten games into a comeback from missing a year. Is it rust or is it he's lost a step? He's still solid, but he's not the force he was in 2012. Whatever the Kings do, it better not be for more than one year. Multi-year +35 contract will kill the Kings if we get a repeat injury on Mitchell, and it's not like he's been perfectly healthy in his career until last season. More than one year isn't warranted. $3.5 mill is fair, it's not a pay cut and but it's fair for what he's been providing us thus far.

Greene definately should be back, 3 years at $3 million. I mean greene has been here for six years, he's been well compensated for all of those years, he's a key cog but not an irreplaceable one on a cup winning team, $3 million per year is fair. If he wants more he can go elsewhere. He'd likely only fetch $500,000 more per year, and would he end up on as good of a team? Odds are no. And that doesn't take into account the issues with relocating and leaving behind a lot of close teammates and friends.

Still, Niskanen would be nice :D

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Mitchell recovering from a knee injury is still our best defensive defenseman. And he still hasn't found the top of his game yet. Yes ****ng please. And Greene is the anchor on that bottom pair, a great PKer, takes stupid penalties but makes up for it with his physicality (no one clears the front of the net like him), shot blocking, and leadership. Want him back too. I want Regehr shipped to Latvia.

How has Forbort looked so far cns?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Mitchell looks like his game is starting to come around. We let either of these guys go and we'll be hurting because there are no real replacements in the org that won't be a step back at this point (as much as I like guys like Gravel and to a lesser extent Campbell and Forbort).

I would be all for another 1-2 years for Mitchell and hopefully another 3-4 for Greene. If Greene commands 3.5-4 on the open market, it's because he's going to be a 2nd pair d-man somewhere. It would be cap pain to sign a bottom pairing d-man to that contract if you don't have an ELC somewhere in your dmen.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
How has Forbort looked so far cns?

Saw only the one game - meh. I honestly did not know he was playing until the 2nd. Didn't notice him or Campbell ONCE in the 1st period that game. Probably a good thing but yeah. I'm going to try and spotlight him a bit more this weekend if I can. He's certainly not close still to being that guy to make the jump. Much more impressive was Colin Miller. So smooth.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Well, right now they have about $54.4M committed to 14 players, leaving just under $10M to fill the other 9 spots if the cap stays the same. However, it figures to go up $4M or $5M, giving them a total of around $14M to fill out the roster.

Yep, it could be tight. We have King, Frattin and Ellerby as RFA's and Lewis, Fraser, Carcillo, Mitchell, Greene and Scrivens as UFA's.

Let's say we allow Ellerby to just walk after the season and went with one more extra forward instead (going 14F-7D-2G instead of the current 13F-8D-2G)

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tyler Toffoli ($0.870m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($5.875m)
Jeff Carter ($5.273m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Kyle Clifford ($1.075m) / Jarret Stoll ($3.250m) / Matt Frattin ($0.945m)
Tanner Pearson ($0.925m) / Trevor Lewis ($1.600m) / Jordan Nolan ($0.700m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Linden Vey ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Drew Doughty ($7.000m) / Slava Voynov ($4.167m)
Robyn Regehr ($3.000m) / Alec Martinez ($1.100m)
Jake Muzzin ($1.000m) / Willie Mitchell ($3.500m)
Matt Greene ($3.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($5.800m)
(NaN)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $68,800,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,804,394; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,338,106

This assumes the following:
-a $68.8 million cap ($4.5 million increase in the off-season)
-That Dwight King is trade for a pick or something that doesn't impact the roster/cap
-That Ellerby and Fraser walk after the season
-Frattin takes his qualifying offer
-Lewis signs for $1.6 million. If his offense ever shows up he'll likely get closer to $2 million
-That Carcillo and Mitchell resign for their current salary
-That Greene signs for $3 million annually
-That Scrivens signs for $800,000
-That Toffoli, Pearson and Vey are all recalled

Assuming all of that plays out, and obviously a lot can change, most notably the amount the cap rises, then we are in good shape. In fact a lot better than what we are in right now cap space speaking.

Btw, for anyone picking apart my lines, I'm not trying to slot guys where they'd play in my opinion, just trying to show what the roster as a whole would look like and what our cap hit/space might be. I really don't care if you think Toffoli would be on the 3rd line or on a different wing. I'll leave that to Sutter to figure out.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Saw only the one game - meh. I honestly did not know he was playing until the 2nd. Didn't notice him or Campbell ONCE in the 1st period that game. Probably a good thing but yeah. I'm going to try and spotlight him a bit more this weekend if I can. He's certainly not close still to being that guy to make the jump. Much more impressive was Colin Miller. So smooth.

yeah I like Miller. I don't think he'll be a big time player in the NHL, but could be a Joe Corvo like producer, which would be a nice add down the line.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think he's getting there though. He's been much better of late compared to how he started the season.

For sure, I'm noticing him less and less as the games go on, and his standout moments are increasingly positive. I was worried we'd be compelled to cast him aside this summer.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Greene is a good third pairing guy. Paying him as a second pairing guy will really hurt this team. He can be a blockhead. I'm willing to put up with his stupid mistakes but only due to him not getting paid like a guy we can depend on.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I would wait on WM and see how he looks after January is done. Greene, I have no issues with but I also hope they keep playing A-Mart so that Regehr and Helen Kellerby can be released/bought out/whatever. I'm not sure A-Mart is ever going to be valued much by Sutter.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I would wait on WM and see how he looks after January is done. Greene, I have no issues with but I also hope they keep playing A-Mart so that Regehr and Helen Kellerby can be released/bought out/whatever. I'm not sure A-Mart is ever going to be valued much by Sutter.

That is so cruel, but so funny.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

:laugh::laugh:

Helen Kellerby. Pure ****ing gold. My new nickname for him for eternity.

:handclap:

Now to jokingly call him Anne Frank and see if ANYONE gets that reference.

Then who the **** is Anne Frank?

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Greene is an essential cog. He's a great penalty killer, great shot blocker, he's the most physical defenseman in the league and the meanest son of a ***** probably in the league, who makes the Kings an incredibly tough team to play against. He's an awesome guy in the room and he wears the "A" for a reason, he's a leader. He's demonstrated his value to his teammates and his organization. He deserves a raise and a minimum 4 year commitment IMO.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I agree that Greene is essential. It hurts to pay him so much given where he plays, but overall he is pretty key in every place we play him. Overall, it isn't too bad to get the three veteran shutdown guys locked in under $10 million combined even if Doughty and Voynov exceed that alone. I wouldn't mind replacing Regehr, and Mitchell hasn't been bad and would be hard to replace, but Greene would be very hard to near impossible to replace without downgrading the position considerably. Obviously many are arguing for more money to be spent on offense, but I doubt that money can reasonably come from Greene's contract without hurting the team considerably.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just to be clear, I didn't come up with Helen Kellerby, I think Dee Shamrock was the originator. It's probably the best nickname ever!

Captain Mittens*

Greene is going to retire a King and Face Wash is going to retire three rungs from the top of that pyramid scam he is suck in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad