Toronto FC: TFC 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
Also, I agree that MLS will probably not touch the big 4 North American leagues in terms of revenues but I'm not willing to say it will never happen. 40 years ago, I'm guessing you wouldn't find anyone who would expect that a soccer league would ever threaten the CFL in terms of popularity, but here we are

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Also, I agree that MLS will probably not touch the big 4 North American leagues in terms of revenues but I'm not willing to say it will never happen. 40 years ago, I'm guessing you wouldn't find anyone who would expect that a soccer league would ever threaten the CFL in terms of popularity, but here we are

I was at TFC's first ever game. I remember our friends and I talking then - real chance it surpasses baseball and football in passion / interest in this market.

Doubt it surpasses baseball (though who knows if the Jays become irrelevanat for a number of years again), but it's well ahead of football now.

It's not just the sport / team, but the fan experience that is so exceptional compared to any other sporting event in this city. As someone who goes to maybe 8-10 Leaf games a year, they are boring compared to TFC games

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.

The regular season CFL games get 600K to 800K. The Grey Cup this year had $4.3 Million.

The MLS Cup had 1.3 Million.

MLS Cup 1/4 of the Grey Cup

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For those in the know, is the team mostly going to be the same next year or will there be another splashy signing like Vasquez?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For those in the know, is the team mostly going to be the same next year or will there be another splashy signing like Vasquez?

There's an increase in TAM, meaning teams can spend more heading into next season.

I would expect another semi-large signing, that would represent an upgrade on Steven Beitashour, given the competitions they are in next season.

PS - The Champions League draw is tonight. TFC find out who they are playing

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
There's an increase in TAM, meaning teams can spend more heading into next season.

I would expect another semi-large signing, that would represent an upgrade on Steven Beitashour, given the competitions they are in next season.

PS - The Champions League draw is tonight. TFC find out who they are playing

Any thoughts on who might be available? Hard to find speculation on the rest of the web on European mid-tier right backs who might be available to come to MLS.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
TSN would have been the only ones broadcasting nationally.

Yeah, but you're cherry picking the popularity of the sport if you don't account for American viewership.

Also, MLS is a newer thing for Canada, and there has been an increasing trend in viewership over the years. Its only a matter of time that MLS will surpass CFL in popularity in Canada IMHO.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Any thoughts on who might be available? Hard to find speculation on the rest of the web on European mid-tier right backs who might be available to come to MLS.

Virtually impossible to speculate on who that might be - Europe's transfer window opens up in 2 weeks, so I'd imagine any possible transfer targets for TFC would become apparent once the dust settles in Europe.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yeah, but you're cherry picking the popularity of the sport if you don't account for American viewership.

Also, MLS is a newer thing for Canada, and there has been an increasing trend in viewership over the years. Its only a matter of time that MLS will surpass CFL in popularity in Canada IMHO.

That's fair - The number that was shared was Canadian viewers however, so that it would have been TSN numbers exclusively. I don't think there was any other way to watch the game in Canada.

I'd imagine a healthy interest in Seatlle for the final too - there's a very healthy football fandom in that city, which we found out last year in their run to the final .

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
For those interested, the viewship numbers for the USA:

On the English-language ESPN broadcast, the match averaged 803,000 viewers. Meanwhile, the game averaged 304,000 viewers on UniMas and Univision Deportes.

Seattle was the top local market with a 7.0 rating, the second-highest local market rating for MLS Cup on ESPN networks since 2006 (Portland’s 7.3 rating in 2015 remains tops). The rest of the top 10:

Louisville (3.2)
Columbus (1.7)
Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News (1.1)
Raleigh-Durham (1.1)
Atlanta (1.0)
Indianapolis (1.0)
Portland (1.0)
Austin (0.9)
Birmingham (0.9)
Memphis (0.9)
Philadelphia (0.9)

Total numbers are down from last year, but that was on FOX and in prime time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad