Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Mar 1, 2002
giphy.gif

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Is he allowed to play in the U.S. next year? I would love to see him play in Cleveland to get a feel for the smaller ice surface and more physical game.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I was beyond disappointed when we traded Kolesar but Texier and the way he plays the game (especially at such a young age) has helped me get over it.
A guy like Stenlund is one I think we need to temper expectations with but Texier is a guy that I think will rocket up prospect rankings in the next year

Reactions: thebus88

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Good and bad news. Good, even great, that he is performing up to or exceeding expectations. Bad in that it may mean Jackets won't make a trade move to improve at center when Tex may be available in 2020 to play in NHL. I am afraid the FO decision could be made that we will muddle by with PLD and Wennie for a couple more years until Tex is ready. But it certainly is great to have his kind of talent developing in our system.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Good and bad news. Good, even great, that he is performing up to or exceeding expectations. Bad in that it may mean Jackets won't make a trade move to improve at center when Tex may be available in 2020 to play in NHL. I am afraid the FO decision could be made that we will muddle by with PLD and Wennie for a couple more years until Tex is ready. But it certainly is great to have his kind of talent developing in our system.

I was eagerly waiting for one of you to explain how this was bad. Thanks!

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
........ it may mean Jackets won't make a trade move to improve at center when Tex may be available in 2020 to play in NHL. I am afraid the FO decision could be made that we will muddle by with PLD and Wennie for a couple more years until Tex is ready.

I guess I disagree, not exactly with your comment, but the premise you are advancing. It might not be Texier or bust. I'm thinking Stenlund and a couple other centers show promise to strengthen the spine of the team (Vigneault). They are 21 and 22 respectively. You might tell me they are going to be a bust and you might be correct. But it seems like Jarmo was correct selecting PLD.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think that the decision that we are stuck with PLD and Wennberg at center comes down more to the fact that we will have to pay Panarin, Bob, Werenski, and then PLD and Anderson in the near future.

There's significant cap concerns which means going out and adding an elite center through trade or UFA is highly unlikely.

I feel that Texier is more a product of this issue than a cause. The team badly needs affordable center depth.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think that the decision that we are stuck with PLD and Wennberg at center comes down more to the fact that we will have to pay Panarin, Bob, Werenski, and then PLD and Anderson in the near future.

There's significant cap concerns which means going out and adding an elite center through trade or UFA is highly unlikely.

I feel that Texier is more a product of this issue than a cause. The team badly needs affordable center depth.

While I see your point, I think there are ways to mitigate it. Zach, PLD & Andy will all be RFA's at next contract time. Dubinsky can be traded or bought out. Jenner & Murray are both RFA's that can be somewhat controlled. Also we might be able to sign Bob at a "reasonable rate". Assuming Tavares would come to Columbus there are ways to fit an $11mm per deal. I doubt he will be interested but it can be done. Same with acquiring ROR.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While I see your point, I think there are ways to mitigate it. Zach, PLD & Andy will all be RFA's at next contract time. Dubinsky can be traded or bought out. Jenner & Murray are both RFA's that can be somewhat controlled. Also we might be able to sign Bob at a "reasonable rate". Assuming Tavares would come to Columbus there are ways to fit an $11mm per deal. I doubt he will be interested but it can be done. Same with acquiring ROR.
I hope you're right as I'd love to see a Tavares or ROR as a Jacket but I don't think Dubinsky is able to be traded or bought out. First, he has an NMC/NTC so he would have leverage in who he gets moved to. Second, judging by this season he is significantly overpaid and has term which means we would either have to move a significant asset just to offload him (our 1st or even more I think) and buying him out isn't really feasible.

I also don't see Bob taking a hometown discount or any less than Carey Price. Bob will make an argument for why he should be the most expensive goaltender in the league (regular season stats, All-Star, Olympian, Hart finalist, 2x Vezina, competing NHL and KHL offers). The team will make their counterargument(s) of lack of playoff success and the need to not cripple the team financially.

Hopefully it all works out but I don't think it's near to a sure thing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I hope you're right as I'd love to see a Tavares or ROR as a Jacket but I don't think Dubinsky is able to be traded or bought out. First, he has an NMC/NTC so he would have leverage in who he gets moved to. Second, judging by this season he is significantly overpaid and has term which means we would either have to move a significant asset just to offload him (our 1st or even more I think) and buying him out isn't really feasible.

I think his NTC became a modified on where he has to give either a list of ok's or a list of not ok's, not sure which his is. But he could definitely be bought out. And if we had to trade our first to off load Dubi to get Tavares, the problem is?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think his NTC became a modified on where he has to give either a list of ok's or a list of not ok's, not sure which his is. But he could definitely be bought out. And if we had to trade our first to off load Dubi to get Tavares, the problem is?
The problem is that I don’t think we are even looking at Tavares. This seems to be a one of their “grow from within” years.

As Portzline said:
But what the numbers show is that the Blue Jackets won’t be major players in free agency unless they decide to radically change their roster by trading some of the entrenched, foundational players. At his season-ending news conference, Kekalainen spoke glowingly about several young players in the organization and said, yet again, that the Blue Jackets’ biggest improvement will come from within...

The Blue Jackets won’t have room to do much more than keep the band together this summer. But even that wouldn’t have been possible if Clarkson hadn’t been unloaded last summer.

Inside the Blue Jackets' salary cap: Shedding David Clarkson...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't buy that we aren't looking at the best UFA on the market who fills our only true need and instantly makes us a contender not only for the metro but for a presidents trophy. Bob made his big payday last time by leveraging the KHL. Now that he has been here years and has had personal success but not team success and knows if he takes price money it' less likely he wins a cup because he could handcuff us. He will likely get like 8 or 9 mil with more years then he was expected to make up for less per year.

You don't have to worry about Z right away he is a RFA so you can get buy with him not doing his big deal right away and giving him a little more in later years to make up for him sacrificing a little at the start of his career. Dubi can be dumped or bought out. Really we are in a good space cap wise. JJ walking and moving Dubi clears 10 mil. Murray and Jenner likely get same amount mayne even less for short term prove yourself deals. Panarin lilely gets a 2 mil raise which covers the cap raising.

Panarin JT Atkinson
Milano PLD Bjorkstrand
Fligs Wennberg Anderson
Calvert Sedlak Jenner

Z Jones
Murray Nuti
Kukan/Carlson Savard

Bob
Korpi

If we were allowed to bring over Gavrikov our D would be a force to reckon with. But as of right now letting a couple people walk and going for JT is the best choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->