GDT: Texas Stars @ OKC Barons: Sat. 12/22 6PM, We're Still Alive But The Barons Still Suck

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Having a player on the team that's sole purpose is to jump the other team's stars wouldn't benefit us. If anything, it would cause retaliation and increase the chance of a player like Hall getting hurt. The best case scenario would involve us getting a long penalty and decrease our chance of winning the game. What's the benefit?

Hall is going to fight if he wants to fight. Just let him do it as long as it doesn't become a common occurrence.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I suppose but i see a lot of Oiler fans complaining about not having nuclear deterrents on the big club as well. I think that it's a waste of a roster spot.

I know that the AHL is more dangerous for skilled players but would Abney being on the team have prevented Hall from dropping the gloves?

Oh, I agree. That's why I want them to push for Horton next year. You need guys who can still play in the NHL.

I don't think Abney is ready to be a nuclear deterrent at the AHL level. He needs to get bigger. Maybe Hall still fights, but if Smac is in the lineup, I bet you Lander doesn't get punched

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Oh, I agree. That's why I want them to push for Horton next year. You need guys who can still play in the NHL.

I don't think Abney is ready to be a nuclear deterrent at the AHL level. He needs to get bigger. Maybe Hall still fights, but if Smac is in the lineup, I bet you Lander doesn't get punched

I'd take that bet, they make a million choices a game, I doubt a little rough stuff after the whistle gets much thought at all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't think Abney is ready to be a nuclear deterrent at the AHL level. He needs to get bigger. AwyqMaybe Hall still fights, but if Smac is in the lineup, I bet you Lander doesn't get punched

I think that Lander still gets punched as well, pests are gonna pest. Do you think that somebody like Clutterbuck is scared of a goon? The goon will never get close to him, he'll either turtle, hide behind the ref or let his teams' goon do the job.

You hit the nail on the head with the Horton idea. Get a guy who can play and be on the ice with these skilled guys when they are getting targeted. Clowe or Malone would be a good option as well.
These borderline NHL goons are a waste of time. It was fun watching Smac fight but it did little to prevent injuries to the stars.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton

I bet he does. Cheap stuff happens all the time with goons on the bench.

What is Smac going to do, jump a guy because he punched one of his role player teammates? I watched MacIntyre play for three years. If he even gets another shift after that incident he probably politely asks the guy to fight and then slowly skates back to the bench after getting declined.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Meh...Someone will take a little bit of a run at Rousell the next time they play.

Hockey's a pretty emotional game at the best of times. If someone was nailing me with cross checks, I'd probably respond much like Hall did....even though I'm 160 Lbs soaking wet.

It's part of the game.

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
I've noticed Chris Vande Velde seems to be capable of almost everything Belanger is. He's solid in the circle, he's a really good penalty killer, and he's willing to sacrifice his body for blocked shots. I'd like to see him get the 4th line center job when the season starts.

Except for the fact that he will make rookie mistakes.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I suppose but i see a lot of Oiler fans complaining about not having nuclear deterrents on the big club as well. I think that it's a waste of a roster spot.

I know that the AHL is more dangerous for skilled players but would Abney being on the team have prevented Hall from dropping the gloves?

Maybe, maybe not. It might have prevented Rousell from being dirty with Hall, fighting Hall but denying Byers, and punching Lander in the face if his teammates had to get beat to **** because of those actions.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Having a player on the team that's sole purpose is to jump the other team's stars wouldn't benefit us. If anything, it would cause retaliation and increase the chance of a player like Hall getting hurt. The best case scenario would involve us getting a long penalty and decrease our chance of winning the game. What's the benefit?

Hall is going to fight if he wants to fight. Just let him do it as long as it doesn't become a common occurrence.

If Hall wants to fight, that's one thing. Having to defend himself from a scrub crosschecking him all game who goes on the fight a star, decline a guy who can throw, punch a kid in the face....

cmon now.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe, maybe not. It might have prevented Rousell from being dirty with Hall, fighting Hall but denying Byers, and punching Lander in the face if his teammates had to get beat to **** because of those actions.

When was the last time a goon beat up a star player because a goon on the star's team was taking liberties?

It doesn't happen for a reason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

How is Abney sitting on the bench going to prevent Roussel from pesting Hall unless you want to put Abney on Hall's line just in case Hall gets bullied.

As i said before, i highly doubt that a pest is scared of any goon. He could easily just refuse to fight just like he did with Byers then he'll go back to pesting.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I think that Lander still gets punched as well, pests are gonna pest. Do you think that somebody like Clutterbuck is scared of a goon? The goon will never get close to him, he'll either turtle, hide behind the ref or let his teams' goon do the job.

You hit the nail on the head with the Horton idea. Get a guy who can play and be on the ice with these skilled guys when they are getting targeted. Clowe or Malone would be a good option as well.
These borderline NHL goons are a waste of time. It was fun watching Smac fight but it did little to prevent injuries to the stars.

100% agree. Winning teams need to have guys that can play tough but still be able to actually play hockey. We're really lacking those kinds of players, at least in the top 6. If we make the playoffs and have our best players get pushed around like the Sedin sisters we're never winning anything.

I'm not really opposed to Hall fighting here and there. I don't want the guy breaking his wrists or anything, but you've got to be able to stand up for yourself. Look at Iginla during the Flames run, he fought every goon that shadowed him, and I'm sure he beat the snot out of all of them. I'd prefer Hall avoids fighting goons, but I'd be happy to see him stand up for himself against the run of the mill pests.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Roussel really gave it to Hall after the whistle and I can't believe that he didn't get 2 for roughing for starting the altercation. Teubert later on ran Fraser IIRC which drew the ire of some of the Stars. Teubert was doing his part. If Roussel doesn't answer the bell then you target guys like Eakin out there. That said guys like Teubert, Plante, etc. have to worry about answering to Gazdik who has 30-40lbs. on them. That is where Abney or another goon comes into play. This way Teubert can truck guys without having to deal with Gazdik all game long coming over to beat his ass. If Abney isn't a good enough fighter to be an average AHL goon at this point then he is a waste of an NHL contract. I'm tired of seeing Byers have to fight every battle, he's game but he's no heavyweight and he really isn't the greatest light heavy either TBH.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How is Abney sitting on the bench going to prevent Roussel from pesting Hall unless you want to put Abney on Hall's line just in case Hall gets bullied.

As i said before, i highly doubt that a pest is scared of any goon. He could easily just refuse to fight just like he did with Byers then he'll go back to pesting.

That Bulmer kid from Houston may not have been tuned from a goon, but Teubert sent a message and then some to him. I would've preferred to see Byers take the additional 5 minutes there and not take no for an answer TBH. That said I'd much rather it be Abney who pretty much isn't that good at anything else. If I were playing "the code" would've gone out the window the second that he roughed up Hall.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I bet he does. Cheap stuff happens all the time with goons on the bench.

What is Smac going to do, jump a guy because he punched one of his role player teammates? I watched MacIntyre play for three years. If he even gets another shift after that incident he probably politely asks the guy to fight and then slowly skates back to the bench after getting declined.

You missed this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_104ZMtse3g
Yes, it wasnt routine whatsoever, but MacIntyre certainly realized he had to play like that to stay in the league (albiet too late).

That's exactly what OKC needs. If the tough guy turtles, he's going to get hurt. Not something that works in the NHL because you cant afford the penalty minutes or the roster spot, but Im not talking about the NHL. There have been multiple games this year where goons have been taking repeated runs at the starts on OKC without any retaliation. It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That Bulmer kid from Houston may not have been tuned from a goon, but Teubert sent a message and then some to him. I would've preferred to see Byers take the additional 5 minutes there and not take no for an answer TBH. That said I'd much rather it be Abney who pretty much isn't that good at anything else. If I were playing "the code" would've gone out the window the second that he roughed up Hall.

Exactly. This is some random game in the middle of a less than spectacular AHL season. The safety of our stars should come first.

In regards to Byers, I'm giving him a pass because he never really was signed to be a goon. He was supposed to be a checking line guy, and our team just forgot to sign a fighter

Trufflepig

Mar 26, 2009
I have no problem with Hall sticking up for himself. I don't think a nuclear deterrent does anything for a team. With the instigator in place it's impossible for a mean heavy to just rag doll a guy when he's overstepping his boundaries. It just means a guaranteed pp. I'd much rather see guys like hall get his elbows up going into the corners. If you want to run him, or harass him, your going to eat a whole lot of elbow. That's what stops players from running guys, not the fear that some other guy might come in later to finish the fight IMO.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

It's because of this that I hate the instigator rule. Imo, it's now used too often as cover for cheap players like Avery, Cooke, Roussel, etc who target stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->