GDT: Texas Stars @ OKC Barons: Sat. 12/22 6PM, We're Still Alive But The Barons Still Suck

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
large.png
@
large.png

STARS: 15-8-2-2 VS BARONS: 13-10-1-3

[fieldset=Game Info]Game Day: Saturday December 22nd 2012
Game Time: 6:00PM MDT
Radio:
PPV AHL Neulion
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Lineups]BARONS: TBD, My Guess At This Point
Hamilton #13-Arcobello #26-Eberle #7
Hall #22-Green #12-Hartikainen #10
Paajarvi #19-Lander #16-Pitlick #9
Byers #34-Vande Velde #29-House #21

Deck #8-J. Schultz #5
Fedun #27-Teubert #33
Marincin #28-Henry #39

Danis #35
Roy #31

Scratches:

Healthy: D Plante #4, C Martindale #17, W Cornet #15

Injured: D Davidson #3 (Testicular Cancer), W Tyrvainen #14 (Broken Wrist), Ringwald #6 (Wrist)

Loaned To WJC's: C Nugent-Hopkins #18

Reassigned To Stockton: W Abney #36

Suspended: W Pelss #23

STARS:
TBD
Roster

[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Who to watch?]BARONS TO WATCH: Taylor Hall was the only player that could get anything going against the Stars on Friday and he nearly potted a couple of goals with top end stickhandling at top speed.

STARS TO WATCH: The Stars are a well coached team that plays a solid defensive system. Players like Eakin and Morin seem to stand out among their peers. [/fieldset]

[fieldset=Barons Number of the Day]The number of the day is 3 as in the number of times that the Barons have been shutout this season after 27 games. [/fieldset]

[fieldset=Quotable]"He has parts of [Scott] Niedermayer and one player he reminds me of is Drew Doughty," Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson told NHL.com. "The NHL is a step higher, but I see him doing the same thing up there. Maybe not as explosive in his first year, but I see him contributing offensively. I see him playing a lot of minutes, just as he does here -- and he plays about 30 minutes a game, handles it well."-- Oklahoma City coach Todd Nelson talking about Justin Schultz in an interview with NHL.com[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Season Series]
Date | Location | Result
10/28|OKC| 4-2 OKC
11/21|Texas| 6-4 OKC
12/21|OKC| 3-0 Texas
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Comparison]
| Barons | Stars
Games|27|27
Points|30|34
Wins|13|15
GF|86|67
GA|81|65
Power Play %|22.9|14.9
Penalty Kill %|79.7|81.7
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Team Leaders]
| Barons | Stars
GOALS: |Eberle (19)|Fraser (10)
ASSISTS:|Schultz (24)|Eakin (11)
+/-: |Eberle and Schultz (+12)|Eakin (+11)
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=Today's Videos]
[/fieldset]

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
You know, an alternate branch of the 21/12/12 theory is that it's the beginning of a new era for civilization and/or the universe rather than the end. So maybe this grand transformation will be one where the hockey teams I cheer for won't be doggy doo-doo.

Also sounds like yesterday's game was a good one to miss.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You know, an alternate branch of the 21/12/12 theory is that it's the beginning of a new era for civilization and/or the universe rather than the end. So maybe this grand transformation will be one where the hockey teams I cheer for won't be doggy doo-doo.

Besides a couple of great individual efforts from Hall and big saves from Danis you didn't miss much. I sure hope that we won't see a snooze fest like that in the rematch.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

I've heard this too! Here's hoping :nod:

As for the game yesterday...BBO summed it up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Now I don't think I'm going out on a line here calling a Barons win tonight. Watch the same club dial it up tonight, put in a much better effort, and a much different game. I'd be surprised if they didn't actually.

But thats part of the concern is the inconsistent efforts and not knowing what team shows up.

I can't imagine any of the players want to carry this taste into the Christmas break.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Now I don't think I'm going out on a line here calling a Barons win tonight. Watch the same club dial it up tonight, put in a much better effort, and a much different game. I'd be surprised if they didn't actually.

But thats part of the concern is the inconsistent efforts and not knowing what team shows up.

I can't imagine any of the players want to carry this taste into the Christmas break.

To me it seems like a lot of the career AHL'ers on the team just seem to be thinking that they can just let Hall, Ebs and Schultz handle everything. You rarely see any passion out of the third and fourth lines.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan

As a team this is definitely the problem and I agree with you there.

However, like molson said above it seems to be the depth that isn't putting forward the effort. Pitlick, Hamilton, Lander, Harty. Just in the last game, all of these guys stood out during only a couple shifts of the game...they were flying out there and working extremely hard. Then the next shift they come out and aren't skating near as hard and it's noticeable.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
To me it seems like a lot of the career AHL'ers on the team just seem to be thinking that they can just let Hall, Ebs and Schultz handle everything. You rarely see any passion out of the third and fourth lines.

As a team this is definitely the problem and I agree with you there.

However, like molson said above it seems to be the depth that isn't putting forward the effort. Pitlick, Hamilton, Lander, Harty. Just in the last game, all of these guys stood out during only a couple shifts of the game...they were flying out there and working extremely hard. Then the next shift they come out and aren't skating near as hard and it's noticeable.

When I've stated this it hasn't been a popular comment but leadership, and value, and learning to be a winner involves more than just what you individually do on the ice. Our youngstars need to learn how to transfer the excitement, and include the rest of the team in it. No less than Gretzky intimately understood this. All of his actions were for not unless he could get everybody on the same ride. Thats the next challenge for our youngstars to learn is leadership. Its as good a time as any.

One additional concern I have is the lack of scoring results when our top guys are broken up to different lines. Really good players should be able to still produce. They should succeed in making those around them better. Its not enough of an accomplishment for Eberle, Hall, Schultz, and RNH(when he's here) to have results together. Really that isn't even the point right now. They know how to have results together, they should be learning how to further results on the club and through playing well with others. Only then will the BARONS become a team.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
When I've stated this it hasn't been a popular comment but leadership, and value, and learning to be a winner involves more than just what you individually do on the ice. Our youngstars need to learn how to transfer the excitement, and include the rest of the team in it. No less than Gretzky intimately understood this. All of his actions were for not unless he could get everybody on the same ride. Thats the next challenge for our youngstars to learn is leadership. Its as good a time as any.

One additional concern I have is the lack of scoring results when our top guys are broken up to different lines. Really good players should be able to still produce. They should succeed in making those around them better. Its not enough of an accomplishment for Eberle, Hall, Schultz, and RNH(when he's here) to have results together. Really that isn't even the point right now. They know how to have results together, they should be learning how to further results on the club and through playing well with others. Only then will the BARONS become a team.

Definitely, I would love to see them learn how to make anyone around them better and turn it into a winning culture. They can even do it to a certain extent right now. They are still extremely young and I have no doubt that they will learn how to do that and I think everyone here knows they will eventually get to that point. It may take a couple years though. It's pretty rare that someone can come into a room and change the culture of the team, only happens once in a while.

Right now I'm sure that is something that is being worked on but a consistent effort from the supporting players has to be there.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Good points. What concerns me though about your last paragraph, is that maybe the other players they are required to play with when they're broken up, are shyte. I hope not. So far, Stu has nailed the 1st overalls, Ebs and Hartski. But the jury is still well out on all those 2nd rounders, and beyond. I think when the time comes, the big club will sign/trade for some solid former SC winners that may be well past their prime, but will help push and foster that winning attitude.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's hope that none of our guys piss off Oleksiak tonight.....

If anyone thought that he was big but not very tough, think again!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully Paajarvi practices what he preaches and plays hungry for the puck tonight.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

They are good players, but not that level good where they can turn career 3rd liners into 50-60 point players in the NHL. Maybe one day, but none of HAll, RNH, Eberle are on the Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk level right now. It is good they added Yakupov. This team will need secondary scoring in a bad way.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
one of Hall or Paajarvi will be exploding tonight. I am calling the hatty! 85% Hall

They were both arguably our best players last night. Hall 5 on 5 and Paajarvi on the PP. Would like to see that dominance continue and get even better along with everyone else picking it up. Losing two straight to this team is not good for our standings we have to come out strong tonight.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Let's hope that none of our guys piss off Oleksiak tonight.....

If anyone thought that he was big but not very tough, think again!

:amazed: Damn. Oleksiak is a beast. Went to high school with Petrovic, tough kid.

I liked what I saw from Paajarvi last game. Hopefully he builds on it. He may be a slow developer, but I can see him carving out a decent NHL career as a role player.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
They were both arguably our best players last night. Hall 5 on 5 and Paajarvi on the PP. Would like to see that dominance continue and get even better along with everyone else picking it up. Losing two straight to this team is not good for our standings we have to come out strong tonight.

Yes 2 points = life

There is still a lot of time guys, our best player Nugent-Hopkins isn't even in the lineup at the moment and you know the Barons will be making runs at the Calder cup for a few more seasons here on in. Slow down.

Kirby

Sponsor
Jan 31, 2009
Edmonton
first row sports has a link that is not working yet, and Justin Schultz has scored, assists to Lander and Paajarvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad