Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Texas, Oklahoma regents accept SEC invitation

This is going to send shockwaves through college athletics and likely the end of the Big 12 as a major power conference. Plan is to leave in 2025, at the same time the current Big 12 media rights deals expire.

While remaining conference members like Oklahoma State, Kansas, Baylor and Texas Tech has enjoyed athletic success at time they don't have anywhere near the TV media draw as Texas & Oklahoma do. Which should drive the next media rights package down for the remaining Big 12, even if they bring in a couple replacements.

Will any other Big 12 schools try to move? I don't think the Big Ten is going to be interested in any of schools. Would the PAC12 consider expanding to 14 or 16 might be the biggest question?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Another interesting aspect is Texas has their own regional sports network--the Longhorn Network. Will be interesting to see how that is handled in the SEC.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Another interesting aspect is Texas has their own regional sports network--the Longhorn Network. Will be interesting to see how that is handled in the SEC.
The belief is that ESPN is buying out the entire deal, and Texas is using that for the buy-out of the remaining years and possibly help fund Oklahoma's buyout from the Big 12, if the conference doesn't dissolve (therefore negating a buyout).

Big 10 might have interest in Kansas but it's iffy. How much is a blue blood Basketball program with a limited football team worth? When the only market they bring in really is Kansas City. They are an AAU school located in the midwest. Maybe WVU gets its dream move to the ACC. Baylor and TCU are screwed as the Pac-12 has no interest in any religion-affiliated private school, and they don't bring enough value to another conference. ISU and KSU are in no man's land as they don't really provide interest from a major market perspective and aren't historically good football programs. OSU is in a bad spot also.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The belief is that ESPN is buying out the entire deal, and Texas is using that for the buy-out of the remaining years and possibly help fund Oklahoma's buyout from the Big 12, if the conference doesn't dissolve (therefore negating a buyout).

Big 10 might have interest in Kansas but it's iffy. How much is a blue blood Basketball program with a limited football team worth? When the only market they bring in really is Kansas City. They are an AAU school located in the midwest. Maybe WVU gets its dream move to the ACC. Baylor and TCU are screwed as the Pac-12 has no interest in any religion-affiliated private school, and they don't bring enough value to another conference. ISU and KSU are in no man's land as they don't really provide interest from a major market perspective and aren't historically good football programs. OSU is in a bad spot also.

I think many affiliated with both UI and ISU want the schools together in the B1G. And Mizzou can bring in both STL and KC.

Both ISU and Mizzou are AAU. Mizzou moving out of the SEC would potentially open the door for OK State in the SEC.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Which should drive the next media rights package down for the remaining Big 12, even if they bring in a couple replacements.

I think that in reality, CBS is so desperate for replacing its SEC coverage that they will be very generous towards the Big 12. NBC can be a partner too. NBC is probably miffed at losing out on replacing CBS as the SEC broadcaster, instead going to ABC.

As it is, CBS stands to lose affiliates located within the SEC footprint to ABC to ensure SEC football remains on those stations. It would not be unlike the exodus of CBS affiliates in NFC markets to Fox when that network took the NFL away from CBS.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think many affiliated with both UI and ISU want the schools together in the B1G. And Mizzou can bring in both STL and KC.

Both ISU and Mizzou are AAU. Mizzou moving out of the SEC would potentially open the door for OK State in the SEC.

Im sure Iowa State would love to join the B1G. I just don’t see any reason why the B1G would have interest in Iowa State.

Missouri would make more sense for the B1G, but they weren’t very interested last time Mizzou came knocking.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

I can think of a handful of schools off the top of my head that the Big Ten would go after before they would even think about going after Iowa State.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ohio State and Michigan make mega bucks off the Big Ten Network and have a vastly easier path to the playoff outside the SEC. Zero chance anyone from the Big Ten gets poached by another conference.

Unless Disney offers more money

7cXx.gif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Money simply isn't there. At the end of the day its all about cash, and I don't see how ISU brings an extra 55m a year to the Big 10 tv payouts, or the how Ok St raises the TV payouts for the SEC. Big 12 teams were getting 38m a year on their TV deals, and its estimated that 50% of the Big 12's TV value is Texas and Oklahoma. Which means the average remaining Big 12 teams TV value is around 23.75m a year, which is a far cry from being at a value that raises the TV value for the Big 10. Same with Ok State for the SEC. No conference will vote in a team that will lower its annual payouts. If anything the Big 10 is eying West or ND (which has long been there dream addition after getting PSU).

ISU's application to the Big 10 would probably 13-0 against with Iowa abstaining or 13-1.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Longhorn Network is an American multinational regional sports network owned as a joint venture between The University of Texas at Austin, ESPN and IMG College, and is operated by ESPN.

Reactions: mouser

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ohio State and Michigan make mega bucks off the Big Ten Network and have a vastly easier path to the playoff outside the SEC. Zero chance anyone from the Big Ten gets poached by another conference.
They've probably put out feelers at all the blue blood schools. I'm sure they've inquired with USC and ND too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Longhorn Network is an American multinational regional sports network owned as a joint venture between The University of Texas at Austin, ESPN and IMG College, and is operated by ESPN.
I think the end game is buying out LHN, and Texas using that money to buy itself out of the Big 12, unless the Big 12 implodes then they just pocket it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Lmao, if Ohio State and Michigan, two Midwestern schools, join the freaking SEC I'm done with college football.

The B1G IF raided will then look west to Kansas and maybe California. I think they miscalculated by choosing Maryland and Rutgers and letting the ACC grab Pitt and Syracuse which would have had a bigger impact in the New York City market than Rutgers.

Once again the elephant in the room is Our Lady of the Lake.

What if the B1G adds USC assuming they can then convince South Bend to join. The NBC deal expires in 2025..................

:popcorn:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The B1G IF raided will then look west to Kansas and maybe California. I think they miscalculated by choosing Maryland and Rutgers and letting the ACC grab Pitt and Syracuse which would have had a bigger impact in the New York City market than Rutgers.

Once again the elephant in the room is Our Lady of the Lake.

What if the B1G adds USC assuming they can then convince South Bend to join. The NBC deal expires in 2025..................

:popcorn:
I think the Big 10 dreams of getting USC, Stanford and ND. That's probably the very top of their wishlist. Maybe other huge schools that are AAU like Texas or UNC are up there too.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think the Big 10 dreams of getting USC, Stanford and ND. That's probably the very top of their wishlist. Maybe other huge schools that are AAU like Texas or UNC are up there too.

Notre Dame’s “independence” and their heavy B1G relationship going on for a century has been interesting.

Purdue is receiving more $’s from B1G media rights then Notre Dame is as a semi independent member of the ACC with their own TV football deal.

Does the Notre Dame independence finally break with this round of conference changes? I don’t know. Curious to see how it plays out.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Notre Dame’s “independence” and their heavy B1G relationship going on for a century has been interesting.

Purdue is receiving more $’s from B1G media rights then Notre Dame is as a semi independent member of the ACC with their own TV football deal.

Does the Notre Dame independence finally break with this round of conference changes? I don’t know. Curious to see how it plays out.

Notre Dame's 'subway alumni' is not a myth

This happened in BOSTON in 2015

Notre Dame scheduled a HOME game at Fenway Park against Boston College.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Probably the most Catholic major city in the United States. But, they also have a massive following among Catholics in the mid-west (Chicago, Cleveland, etc), and a very large and wealthy alumni base. They and USC are pretty much the only college blue bloods that are private institutions, with Miami the weird outsider among the privates.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I am very aware of ND's brand value. Yet every time I've crunched the ND media rights income from their solo football TV deal, plus the partial ACC membership, the total media $'s ND receives come in at $10m-$25m less then a B1G share of conference media revenue.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Probably the most Catholic major city in the United States. But, they also have a massive following among Catholics in the mid-west (Chicago, Cleveland, etc), and a very large and wealthy alumni base. They and USC are pretty much the only college blue bloods that are private institutions, with Miami the weird outsider among the privates.

ND's deal with NBC is based on the huge amount of local advertising they can generate at owned stations in Chicago, New York and Boston.

The one rivalry game ND will never give up is with USC.

ND avoided playing Boston College for decades because they did not want to improve BC's ability to recruit with Catholic prep schools.

Holy War (Boston College–Notre Dame) - Wikipedia

In 1992 Lou Holtz took glee in running up the score against BC and Tom Coughlin turned down a chance to coach in the NFL because he wanted revenge and got it in spades the following year.

But the reality of 2021 is ND could run the table but that is a soft schedule.

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIxLzA0L1NjaGVkdWxlXzE5MjB4MTA4MHYyLmpwZw.jpg

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
ND's deal with NBC is based on the huge amount of local advertising they can generate at owned stations in Chicago, New York and Boston.

The one rivalry game ND will never give up is with USC.

ND avoided playing Boston College for decades because they did not want to improve BC's ability to recruit with Catholic prep schools.

Holy War (Boston College–Notre Dame) - Wikipedia

In 1992 Lou Holtz took glee in running up the score against BC and Tom Coughlin turned down a chance to coach in the NFL because he wanted revenge and got it in spades the following year.

But the reality of 2021 is ND could run the table but that is a soft schedule.

aHR0cHM6Ly91bmQuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIxLzA0L1NjaGVkdWxlXzE5MjB4MTA4MHYyLmpwZw.jpg

Yeah, I'm not an ND or Michigan fan, but I will say I do miss the yearly Michigan game when both those teams were good. But, as you stated, ND loves their USC rivalry (and to a similar extent Stanford), as they love having a footprint out there for recruiting. Pulling high-academic kids (by FBS standards) out of the LA catholic schools is a huge recruiting pipeline for them, as more than most programs ND is heavily reliant on national recruiting as Indiana isn't exactly a talent rich state (but they do recruit extremely well regional in Big 10 area, and the east coast such as New Jersey, DMV, Pennsylvania).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad