Trade: [TEX/LA] Yu Darvish for Willie Calhoun, A.J. Alexy, and Brendon Davis

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Could someone tell me why Luhnow was asleep at the switch here as McCullers went on the DL? Their system is every bit as deep as the Dodgers if not more so and they had a lot more need for him than the Dodgers unless Kershaw's injury is worse than being reported.

In-state rivalry seems to matter. The Rangers don't want to help the Astros be the first Texas team to win the WS.

But even if they were in different states, it seems clear Luhnow cares a bit too much about his prospects.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In-state rivalry seems to matter. The Rangers don't want to help the Astros be the first Texas team to win the WS.

But even if they were in different states, it seems clear Luhnow cares a bit too much about his prospects.

That's the thing, they could have EASILY trumped the Yankee offer for Sonny Gray. Unless 'division rival' still plays into that too.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
This is truly 'If not now, when?' territory for the Dodgers.

Maybe not all or nothing ala the Capitals/Shattenkirk, but it feels like a season you can't waste.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
That's the thing, they could have EASILY trumped the Yankee offer for Sonny Gray. Unless 'division rival' still plays into that too.

Yeah there's certainly nothing wrong with keeping your legitimate prospects, which Houston has plenty of. McCullers going on the DL now on July 31 means nothing come October. They're 30+ games over .500 and while pitching is key, their offense is easily good enough to give even the best pitching fits.

Plus, it's not just a division rival thing. The gap between Houston and the rest of the AL West is very wide and as deep, young, and talented that Houston is, isn't going to be getting smaller anytime soon. No way was either Gray or Darvish going to be dealt there to potentially make that gap even greater.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
and MLB network on Sirius said the Dodgers likely would not do anything due to their unwillingness to trade their prospects for guys that could put them over the top. they were talking about it as late as 3:20 EST

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Kershaw
Wood
Ryu
Darvish
Hill

Maeda and Stewart out of the pen as long relievers

The Dodgers have zero excuses if they fall apart in the playoffs again. There is little to no weakness in that roster.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

I think last week Luhnow said he wouldn't over pay by gutting their minor league system for any players they wanted. I was hoping that was all talk but I guess not. Like you said, he cares too much about their prospects.

Regarding Yu. There were reports that it would have taken something extra for Texas to trade him to Houston. Like you said, in State/divisional rivals. If Houston offered something similar to LA. Tie goes to LA unless Houston was willing to add more pieces.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Maybe not all or nothing ala the Capitals/Shattenkirk, but it feels like a season you can't waste.

With Puig, Pederson, Seager and Bellinger I think they are built to contend for the foreseeable future. They will have more seasons like this, especially as they continue to find talent all over the globe and have deep pockets.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kershaw
Wood
Ryu
Darvish
Hill

Maeda and Stewart out of the pen as long relievers

The Dodgers have zero excuses if they fall apart in the playoffs again. There is little to no weakness in that roster.

Don't forget Morrow and then McCarthy/Kazmir (when they get healthy) as starters they could use incase of injury or poor performance.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I think if you're LA you hope you get Arizona in that first series. You likely won't have to face Grienke twice because he pitches the play in game and you also avoid having to throw Darvish and Kershaw in Colorado where who knows what the hell happens. I think they can beat the Nats because they can probably bullpen steal games started by Gio or Roark which really forces Washington to have to win all games Scherzer or Strasburg pitch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad