Terrible Schedule.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The schedule is a complete joke. It makes absolutely no sense to me for 4 teams to have played 1 game and some teams are already on their 5th tonight. Who tf decided this was a good idea?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
The season started last Thursday, the Panthers first game was Saturday, and our second game is tonight. They then play 7 games in the next 16 days, with two sets of back to backs, three sets of back to backs if you count the two against the Jets in Finland Nov 1-2. I cant understand who came up with this schedule.
Yeah. TB played Saturday and tonight as well. 1 game in the first 7 days of the season, 11 games in the next 20.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I hope Boston fans are excited for the Oilers' home opener next week. If I were the Oilers I would make the ceremony extra long just to spite Jacobs.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Florida has another four day break at the end of the month, plays two games in Finland, and then sits around for five more days before playing again. :confused:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Let's send teams overseas to play in Sweden for whatever reason, meaning they only play once in 8 days.

But to send our players to the Olympics over a 12-day stretch would be blasphemous.
Start of the season for a handful of teams vs the entire league right in the middle when they only compete against basketball for sports.

Plus they would have gone if the players extended the current cba. Or if the Olympic committee let them advertise / pay for insurance they prob would have went .

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Can anyone chime in here who actually understands all of the many intricacies and factors that go into scheduling? Arena commitments for concerts, NBA and other sports. Also, the way TV networks can also request teams on certain days/times to suit best viewing numbers. Travel, etc. Who can tell us about all this stuff so we don't have to keep having the same debate year after year. There HAS to be many good reasons why there are so many scheduling anomalies like ZERO GAMES tomorrow. Someone help!

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The NHL crammed in as many road back-to-back games as possible in the first six weeks of the season for the Penguins last year. It was beyond ridiculous, especially for a team coming off back-to-back championships and 2 short summers. I'm okay with a sparse October this year.
A lot of American NHL teams in cities with NFL franchises as well request that the schedule have them on the road more often to start the season so that they don't have to compete for the fans dollar in their own market.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Can anyone chime in here who actually understands all of the many intricacies and factors that go into scheduling? Arena commitments for concerts, NBA and other sports. Also, the way TV networks can also request teams on certain days/times to suit best viewing numbers. Travel, etc. Who can tell us about all this stuff so we don't have to keep having the same debate year after year. There HAS to be many good reasons why there are so many scheduling anomalies like ZERO GAMES tomorrow. Someone help!

Yeah I don't get it either.

Outside of the All Star Break and Christmas season, it really shouldn't be too hard for the league to have at least one game scheduled every day.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Wow i just realized the Devils and Oilers only played 1 game in Sweden. Before the 2 teams going overseas would play 2 games. This is a real joke to have 2 teams travel across the Atlantic for 1 meanful game. Im not a fsn of either teams but this is a real joke. This road trip puts them behind the eight ball right at the start of the season. This must be another brilliant idea by Mr. Bettman.

I know my Habs had 5 days off after 2 games. Thats so stupid. Im sure other teams have had the same issue.

If you think that's bad look at the Panthers schedule. I saw it and almost fainted.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If you think that's bad look at the Panthers schedule. I saw it and almost fainted.

It really doesn't make any sense, with the travel to Finland especially they should be playing lot of games right now, instead they've played the least.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
It really doesn't make any sense, with the travel to Finland especially they should be playing lot of games right now, instead they've played the least.
It's crazy. I saw their October schedule on a calendar and my jaw dropped. They have played 1 game so far, then later this month they have 2 sets of back to backs and then they are off AGAIN from October 28 to November 1st.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
All I know about NHL scheduling is that it affects my team negatively more than anyone else.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah I don't get it either.

Outside of the All Star Break and Christmas season, it really shouldn't be too hard for the league to have at least one game scheduled every day.
I assume most teams want games on weekends to maximize ticket sales but otherwise idk after the NFL and baseball season finish maybe they schedule games based on whatever gets the highest ratings during weekdays to make the guys paying the TV contracts happy

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Nobody in Florida wants to watch the Panthers, apparently that attitude bled over into the NHL front offices as they don't want to see them either.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
At least the Oilers and Devils have the excuse of flying back from Sweden and needing time to adjust as a reason to play their first game on a Saturday and their second the following Thursday. Why is that also the case for the Lightning and Panthers? They played a normal, US- based NHL game.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Determining a schedule with thousands of games on it, while managing schedules of other leagues or events that share the same venues, while managing traveling time and road trips for the different teams is tougher than most here like to think :laugh:

That said, overseas regular season games are dumb and shouldn't happen. To kick off the pre-season? Sure. Play all the games in Sweden or Finland or China you want. However every teams final 1 or 2 pre-season games and all regular season games should be on actual NHL team rinks.

Isles schedule is weird to start the season. Huge layoffs in between the first 3 games and then 3 games in 4 days in Cali (which actually does make sense).

vs. Sharks 10/8
@ Preds 10/13
@ Ducks 10/17
@ Kings 10/18
@ Sharks 10/20

The Cali dates make sense.

The 3 off days between the road game in Nashville and the game in Anaheim is pretty awkward. I wonder if the Isles went back to New York, or went to Cali early. I bet I know which ones the players wanted to do.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I was wondering if this thread would be about today and tomorrow

bunch of games all starting within an hour of each other and nothing tomorrow

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Someone needs to know why the NHL is Dark on a Friday. Seriously.

I don't care about 1 game in a week, or the flights, I get why, I can see reasoning. But, Dark. On a Friday!?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad