TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Here's the Tennis schedule...

Tennis - Olympic Schedule & Results | Tokyo 2020

Here's a preview...

Tokyo Olympics - Who's playing tennis? Andy Murray to defend title, Novak Djokovic unsure as Roger Federer out
The most recent high profile withdrawal comes in the form of Roger Federer who announced he suffered a setback with his injured knee. The 39-year-old 20-time Grand Slam champion recently reached the quarter final at Wimbledon but confirmed his troublesome knee will see him miss what will likely be his last chance to claim a medal at the Games.
Rafael Nadal missed Wimbledon and will also not play at the Olympics as he looks to recover from the first half of the season. The Spaniard had a back problem earlier this year and said that “after listening to my body” he needed to take time off following the French Open. Nadal is set to return at the Washington Open on July 31.
Four-time gold medallist Serena Williams will not be heading to Tokyo for Team USA. The 39-year-old confirmed her decision before suffering an injury in the first round at Wimbledon. “In the past it's been a wonderful place for me, but I really haven't thought about it, so I'm going to keep not thinking about it,” said Williams.
Austrian Dominic Thiem made the decision to not play the Olympics before a wrist injury forced him out of Wimbledon. He said: "For me, like all athletes, taking part in the Olympics and representing my country is a huge honour and that makes this decision even tougher. However, 2021 did not start as expected and I don’t feel ready to play my best in Tokyo.” Thiem will be hoping to be fit to defend his US Open title.
World No 1 Novak Djokovic has decided to play as he bids for the Golden Slam – winning all four Grand Slams and Olympic gold in the same year. Djokovic, who has competed at the last three Olympics with his best result winning bronze in Beijing in 2008, expressed some doubts about playing in Tokyo after winning Wimbledon. However, he has now decided to compete.
Most of the women’s top 20 will be competing in Tokyo, including Australian world No 1 Ashleigh Barty and Japanese world No 2 Naomi Osaka, who will be making her first appearance since withdrawing from the French Open. Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria Azarenka are set to form a strong doubles partnership for Belarus while Poland’s Iga Swiatek is set to make her first Olympic appearance.
Andy Murray will be looking for his third gold medal as he heads to Tokyo as part of Team GB following his third-round loss at Wimbledon. The defending champion gained entry into the event as the player with the most Olympic and Grand Slam titles outside the direct entries, and will also be competing in the doubles with Joe Salisbury. Jamie Murray will be competing in doubles with Neal Skupski, while Heather Watson will be playing singles and doubles.
Team USA has been hit hard by withdrawals and will be led by world No 15 Jennifer Brady and world No 52 Frances Tiafoe.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
well anything else than a djokovic win is shocking.

i think medvedev and zvever takes silver and bronze

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
well anything else than a djokovic win is shocking.

i think medvedev and zvever takes silver and bronze
Yeah, pretty slim field on the men's side with so many dropping out. Nobody for Novak to be concerned with.

The women's side looks pretty competitive though.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Naomi is just not there with her head, she made all the possible mistakes she could. I can only imagine how she couldn't wait to finish all this and go somewhere else. Pretty clear her struggles with depression and anxiety are still there, even more so with all the pressure she must have had in "her" Olympics.

Oct 18, 2006
Djokovic cooked. Hasn’t hit a first serve in the last hour.

Didn’t really mind about Olympics, actually wanted him to skip it, but I hope this doesn’t bring his USO swing undone.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Djokovic cooked. Hasn’t hit a first serve in the last hour.

Didn’t really mind about Olympics, actually wanted him to skip it, but I hope this doesn’t bring his USO swing undone.
But the Golden Slam is safe for another day. ;)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Nole imploded... At the end he didn't have legs or focus or anything else. Very disappointing, third semis he loses at the Olympics, kinda a curse considering how much they mean to him.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I was almost certain he was going to win this tournament. But I’m glad finally to see one of the young guys that’s supposed to take the torch from the big 3 step up.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Djokovic can still win gold at these OG though. He is currently playing in mixed doubles semis (down a set).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad