OT: tendonitis issue

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The displaced rib that I was told was my problem is in my opinion tendonitis.

I mowed the lawn yesterday and used the edge trimmer. It hadn't feel good like that in a week. Had 2 chiro sessions but the pain is still there. The pain moves around a bit, from the top of my back to the neck, across to my shoulder, down to the elbow and it occurs that I get shocks on my wrist.

No I am not changing hands, I am right handed and my pain is on my left side. Even laughing hurts.

Don't wish you are having the same pain.

Cervical nerve root pinch? Radiates down back to ulnar nerve in elbow sending shocks of pain to hand and fingers?

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Cervical nerve root pinch? Radiates down back to ulnar nerve in elbow sending shocks of pain to hand and fingers?

Distinct possibility. Radiculopathies can be hard to diagnose, but it sounds like what he was describing could very well be a nerve root issue.

The brachial plexus (where the nerves branch off into each arm) is easily impinged with all the musculature and irregular bones in the area. May be something in there, but you're right it's a possibility in this case that it's a C8 or C7 root pinch.

I took a sensory and motor function class in university and it was "House" style, where we were presented with an imaginary case and had to figure out what the issue was with a finite number of questions to ask. This stuff perks my ears up.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Distinct possibility. Radiculopathies can be hard to diagnose, but it sounds like what he was describing could very well be a nerve root issue.

The brachial plexus (where the nerves branch off into each arm) is easily impinged with all the musculature and irregular bones in the area. May be something in there, but you're right it's a possibility in this case that it's a C8 or C7 root pinch.

I took a sensory and motor function class in university and it was "House" style, where we were presented with an imaginary case and had to figure out what the issue was with a finite number of questions to ask. This stuff perks my ears up.

I've had C7 microdiskectomy and radiculopathies originating in C6 and C5. The C7 nerve root impingement sounds like what he's describing,only mine was accompanied by pectoral,tricep and hand and arm weakness,tricep and arm numbness and pain that noone can imagine. Maybe he has a bulge with milder symptoms. Same therapy-rest,protect,NSAIDS and then a steady diet of stretching.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I've had C7 microdiskectomy and radiculopathies originating in C6 and C5. The C7 nerve root impingement sounds like what he's describing,only mine was accompanied by pectoral,tricep and hand and arm weakness,tricep and arm numbness and pain that noone can imagine. Maybe he has a bulge with milder symptoms. Same therapy-rest,protect,NSAIDS and then a steady diet of stretching.

That sounds incredibly awful. Nerve injuries are the worst. Glad it's resolved.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
That sounds incredibly awful. Nerve injuries are the worst. Glad it's resolved.

It's actually calm at the moment but the most innocuous task can sometimes have me screaming for my mommy. Last August I aggravated it cleaning the bedroom,ended up in the ER,lost 50% of the strength in my left hand for 4 months and lost 10 weeks of work. Also couldn't lay down for 18 days and that really sucks. 6 neck injuries since 2001 and I had to give up hockey,running and the gym. Almost had to give up the Harley,couldn't squeeze the clutch or the front brake. Installed a hydraulic clutch and an upgraded front brake and good to go. Any twinge at all,I stop. Most episodes completely resolve in 6 months and the acute symptoms resolve in about 6 weeks.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec

Thanks, I have 2 chiro sessions for next week. I will be cancelling those.

I have had this in the past maybe as much as twice a year but I can't remember it being this painful. I only see my GP at the end of August. I am giving him a call tomorrow.

Cold seems to numb the pain.

I might add the pain I feel is mostly a burning pain.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I have had this in the past maybe as much as twice a year but I can't remember it being this painful. I only see my GP at the end of August. I am giving him a call tomorrow.

Chiro won't help a bulging or herniated disk if that's what it is. A nerve conductance test will confirm an impingement if an MRI is unclear. Ice on the neck should help but there is a lot of muscle and tissue between disk and skin. NSAIDS. Don't screw around with a radiculopathy like I did. If it is a weakened disk,get stretching. Rebuildyourback.com. is a great source of info

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS

I'm somewhat biased, but chiro isn't something I normally suggest for a lot of things. I don't discount it as a profession but for something like this, chiro is not a good idea in my opinion. Physio and appropriate exercises prescribed by an ortho or physio would be my course of action.

If you want to look at somewhat of an alternative, try an osteopath. Not as popular but can be incredibly beneficial. Ask your GP next time you're in if that's an appropriate course of action. Depending on your condition it might not be appropriate, but once you have a diagnosis, it is an option if appropriate.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I'm somewhat biased, but chiro isn't something I normally suggest for a lot of things. I don't discount it as a profession but for something like this, chiro is not a good idea in my opinion. Physio and appropriate exercises prescribed by an ortho or physio would be my course of action.

If you want to look at somewhat of an alternative, try an osteopath. Not as popular but can be incredibly beneficial. Ask your GP next time you're in if that's an appropriate course of action. Depending on your condition it might not be appropriate, but once you have a diagnosis, it is an option if appropriate.

I agree. Tons of info from reputable sources available online. If the rest-NSAIDS are ineffective or if weakness creeps in,it's time to think about intervention before it's permanent. I sucked it up way too long and suffered permanent deficits in both arms/hands. Not noticeable except to me when I need to have my wife open the peanut butter.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
In my shoulder for the past 4 days. Waking up every 2 hours in pain. Already taking aleve and it is not helping any.
Someone earlier said something about sleeping position.
When I have had shoulder problems in the past it got worse at night. I used to sleep on my back with my arm over my head and that made the pain much worse. It would be excruciating to bring the arm back down.
Any chance you are doing this?

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
You guys have some great points.

As far as I am concerned the reason I am willing to cancel my chiro sessions is the way or lack of manner in which he proceeded. I had no x-ray done, he just listened to me and decided to get a few bookings in. Of coarse he did his movement/range exams.

laxdoc

Sep 30, 2007
Full disclosure: I am a chiropractor.

I treat cervical radiculopathy every day in my practice. I integrate chiropractic with physical therapy modalities, cold laser, and manual myofascial techniques used by my therapists. Care in my office is multilayered and as such we offer more options to the patient than most practitioners. Chiropractic is absolutely a viable option for radiculopathies. Some patients do have to be referred to an ortho or neuro, but name me a conservative intervention that has 100% success rate.

As far as the reason for discontinuing care, that is a failure on the part of the doctor to communicate effectively. Patients can help out by being assertive, but it is the primary responsibility of the doctor to ensure the patient feels comfortable with their options and the treatment plan presented. If you are not comfortable with no xrays being taken, then tell him so. As a practitioner, I appreciate a patient who asks questions. May I suggest you call the the doctor and ask pointed questions regarding the evaluation and the treatment protocol, establish goals to be reached, and reasonable expectation of resolution of your problem. If his answers don't measure up, move on to another doc.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Full disclosure: I am a chiropractor.

I treat cervical radiculopathy every day in my practice. I integrate chiropractic with physical therapy modalities, cold laser, and manual myofascial techniques used by my therapists. Care in my office is multilayered and as such we offer more options to the patient than most practitioners. Chiropractic is absolutely a viable option for radiculopathies. Some patients do have to be referred to an ortho or neuro, but name me a conservative intervention that has 100% success rate.

As far as the reason for discontinuing care, that is a failure on the part of the doctor to communicate effectively. Patients can help out by being assertive, but it is the primary responsibility of the doctor to ensure the patient feels comfortable with their options and the treatment plan presented. If you are not comfortable with no xrays being taken, then tell him so. As a practitioner, I appreciate a patient who asks questions. May I suggest you call the the doctor and ask pointed questions regarding the evaluation and the treatment protocol, establish goals to be reached, and reasonable expectation of resolution of your problem. If his answers don't measure up, move on to another doc.

Thanks for the input. I learned from it!

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Thanks laxdoc.

I didn't appreciate the fact that the chiro I got appointed was going on vacation this week. Meaning I have no sessions when I should be having treatment if it's the correct treatment.

I understand what you say about patient assertiveness and will do my best to get better treatment.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
My husband suffered with tennis elbow for years and finally someone suggested Arnica gel - it actually worked very effectively. Here is a link that supports this. He also takes Bromelain daily as is suggested in this article as well.

Homeopathy

Homeopathic remedies for tendinitis include creams or gels. Arnica cream by itself or in combination with Calendula officinalis, Hamamelis virginiana, Aconitum napellus, and Belladonna, applied three to six times a day, speeds healing and decreases discomfort. For acute (sudden) injuries, always start with Arnica.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/tendinitis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad