Boston Bruins Ten Years Ago Today

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Can't believe it's been a decade. Game 6 is the one that gets all the love - as it should - but Savard's OT goal in game 3, which got the Bruins back in the series after an 0-2 start was really the spark that woke up a dormant hockey town IMO.

The Habs swept us in 8 regular season games that year, then took the first two in the playoffs, Savard's goal meant more than just winning the third game of a best of 7 - after hearing we couldn't beat the Habs all year, it was especially sweet to win that game. The Garden got louder for the OT winner than it had been in years. Peter Schaefer made a great play to keep the puck - he wasn't here very long, but was a solid middle-6 guy, Wideman with a great backhand pass - a guy I think we hated on too much, and Savard with the snipe.

They dropped game 4, but shocked the Habs by running them out of the Bell Centre in game 5, before the famous game 6 (whose anniversary is next Thursday). Game 7 was a disaster, but I don't think anyone remembers that as much as what the experience of fighting back and pushing the heavily favored Habs to 7 did for the young core of the team - helped them take the leap the next year to the top seed, and a lot of those players were here for 2011 and a few for 2013. Chara and Krejci are the only veterans of that series still on the Bruins (that was Bergeron's concussion year), but Kessel, Lucic, and Sobotka are still playing in the league.

Anyone else have memories of this?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Great memory, I loved that 07-08 team. The rebirth of Bruins hockey. Not loaded with talent (particularly once Bergeron was injured) but worked hard and gave an honest effort every game.

Just 8 players left in the league from that season of the Bruins. 4 current Bruins (Chara, Krejci, Rask, Bergeron) and 4 guys gone (Kessel, Lucic, Sobotka, and Hunwick).

Where does the time go?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Great memory, I loved that 07-08 team. The rebirth of Bruins hockey. Not loaded with talent (particularly once Bergeron was injured) but worked hard and gave an honest effort every game.

Just 8 players left in the league from that season of the Bruins. 4 current Bruins (Chara, Krejci, Rask, Bergeron) and 4 guys gone (Kessel, Lucic, Sobotka, and Hunwick).

Where does the time go?

My wife and I went away in October of that year for our 10th anniversary. We watched the Sox win their 2nd WS title in 3 years from our hotel.

I taped the B's - Flyers game that Saturday night and watched it at home on Sunday. It was the game where Bergeron got concussed.

Flash forward 10 years.....my then 7 and 4 year olds are obviously 17 and 14. In the blink of an eye the time has passed between that weekend and my daughter's junior prom next week.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
still remember, me and my brother got tickets the morning of game 6 and went. paid 90 bucks a seat, up in the balcony but worth every penny and then some.

that 3rd period, the place was going ballistic. after Sturm's goal everyone was high fiving and hugging their neighbors, and the balcony was shaking enough to spill beer.

that really was a perfect hockey game.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Where does the time go?
I looked at the Habs too, only Carey Price and I guess technically Mark Streit are still there

A couple guys like Plekanec and Ryder are still kicking around elsewhere.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Better Savvy moment G3 OT winner against the Habs that started all of this, or the G1 OT winner against PHI in '10 after coming back from the Matt Cooke hit?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Better Savvy moment G3 OT winner against the Habs that started all of this, or the G1 OT winner against PHI in '10 after coming back from the Matt Cooke hit?

G3 ot for me. That series was instrumental in turning our fortunes around vs Montreal. It was also the first big moment after the debacle of the Joe Thornton years and to me the first book mark of this current Bruins era which will end when Bergeron retires.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Game 1 against Philly was the feel-good moment in the NHL of the decade

But for me it's significantly dampened by the fact that everyone involved has effectively admitted that Savard never should've been on the ice to begin with and that trying to play that series might've contributed to not only the early ending of his career, but his health problems that plagued him for a few years afterward.

But damn if it wasn't an amazing moment

Last edited:

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
That was my first game in my seats that I had from playoffs 2008 to 2016.

I remember I wanted to watch the game where the bruins clinched the 8th seed at a bar in Boston and had to go all the way to the sports grill because every other bar had a early season sox game on. Oh how times have changed

Also the bruins fan base was so thin then that the playoff series was filled with hab fans. I saw so many fights in the stands and in the streets. I remember them trying to boo chara.

Reactions: Kovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad