Trade: [TEN/KC] L’Jarius Sneed for 2025 3rd and 2024 7th

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Titans got him for cheap.

It’s not just the contract. There are very real concerns about his knee issues.

At the end of the day I’m more than happy that the Chiefs didn’t pay him his next deal but to not even get that 3rd for this draft is pretty lame.

I’m assuming Sneed’s hit for this year will be reinvested - hopefully at tackle.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems like he should’ve returned more

Feels like the contract demands killed his trade value. There should be a big market for a shutdown corner like Sneed. But I don’t think there was a big market for his contract to come.

The real question for me is not should Veach have gotten more…he got what the market offered.

The real question for me is…should we have just kept him and run it back and then let him walk?

But Veach was never, ever going to let Sneed walk. That’s not his style. Still…doesn’t feel great. That pick doesn’t help this year.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Love Sneed. Glad he’ll get paid and it sounds like his contract is gonna be a big one with a good chunk of guaranteed money. Return is light but his knee seems to be a real a concern and if there’s one thing the chiefs have been able to reliably do over this recent stretch, it’s develop CBs. Can’t pay everyone unfortunately and the Chiefs now have nearly $30 million in caps space.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Wow the new regime is going crazy,not sure what happens to the rest of the CB's on the Titans guess its not going to a priority to draft anyone unless its a Safety and its late rounder 6-7th!Well good Luck and Wishing for things to work out well in Nashville with the new additions... I guess the Titans had to keep pace with the Texans who have loaded up and will get better with their young,hungry team with a sprinkling of vets

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I would have just let Sneed play out this year on the tag and taken the comp pick but I'd assume he pushed them for a deal/held out.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I would have just let Sneed play out this year on the tag and taken the comp pick but I'd assume he pushed them for a deal/held out.

Too much risk of Sneed becoming a disgruntled distraction. It was a smart move by KC to get what they could for him.

He was already making ridiculous comments to the media about “pay me, pay me, pay me” so that tells you what his tactics are. More concerning was Sneed trying to draw a line between either paying him or paying Chris Jones. That’s the kind of horseshit that splinters a locker room.

Is Sneed a top three CB in the league? No, definitely not. So you can’t pay him as such.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never know how guys react to a tag. If he has knee concerns he’d want the $55 mill guaranteed vs just the $20 mill on the tag.

They can wait it out to sign later and. It messes with the team chemistry or the player does not perform well.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Too much risk of Sneed becoming a disgruntled distraction. It was a smart move by KC to get what they could for him.

He was already making ridiculous comments to the media about “pay me, pay me, pay me” so that tells you what his tactics are. More concerning was Sneed trying to draw a line between either paying him or paying Chris Jones. That’s the kind of horseshit that splinters a locker room.

Is Sneed a top three CB in the league? No, definitely not. So you can’t pay him as such.
The compensation from the trade is equal to the comp pick. That's my point.

Never know how guys react to a tag. If he has knee concerns he’d want the $55 mill guaranteed vs just the $20 mill on the tag.

They can wait it out to sign later and. It messes with the team chemistry or the player does not perform well.
Yes if he was gonna hold out than you trade him, but again you'd probably like better than the comp pick you would have gotten for him anyways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Yes if he was gonna hold out than you trade him, but again you'd probably like better than the comp pick you would have gotten for him anyways.
The players who typically return higher comps for secondary players all had term left on their rookie deals. Adams, Fitzpatrick, Ramsey.
Carlton Jr of TB is on his second contract and netted a third this year.

Clearly the market wasn’t as hot on Snead. He might have had interest from other clubs but not for the contract his agent could have been asking for.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

There is zero guarantee the comp pick would be equal to the third they got. Theres not some fast and consistent “comp pick chart” the Chiefs or any team can rely on to gauge what their player will get when the walk after a season that hasn’t even been played yet.

I don’t disagree with you overall but Veach clearly valued having a concrete defined pick in hand…and the other thing is just because the pick is next year doesn’t mean he can’t use it this year in a trade…say to move up in this years draft to grab a specific target.

There are definite advantages to having this pick versus waiting for a mystery box comp pick.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There is zero guarantee the comp pick would be equal to the third they got. Theres not some fast and consistent “comp pick chart” the Chiefs or any team can rely on to gauge what their player will get when the walk after a season that hasn’t even been played yet.

I don’t disagree with you overall but Veach clearly valued having a concrete defined pick in hand…and the other thing is just because the pick is next year doesn’t mean he can’t use it this year in a trade…say to move up in this years draft to grab a specific target.

There are definite advantages to having this pick versus waiting for a mystery box comp pick.
Comp picks get netted off based on your free agent activity. So, it's not a guarantee. NE and Balt are notorious for playing the comp pick game where NE would trade guys like Collins at the TDL to ensure they got something for him, as they expected to be players in free agency, thus would have netted out the comp. pick for him.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

That is 100% correct.

Comp picks are based on a convoluted set of formulas that take into account all of the compensatory free agents that a team loses in relation to the number that they sign.

KC took the guaranteed draft pick and also eliminated the potential for Sneed being a disruptive puss during the season.

Excellent move again by KC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That is 100% correct.

Comp picks are based on a convoluted set of formulas that take into account all of the compensatory free agents that a team loses in relation to the number that they sign.

KC took the guaranteed draft pick and also eliminated the potential for Sneed being a disruptive puss during the season.

Excellent move again by KC.
They went though a contract swabble with Jones this season. Got through it, cause he was under contract, but with Snead, if he doesn't sign the tag until late, probably messes with the team and he's also not ready to go off the hop.

Only real surprise is that it had to be a 2025 3rd. But, I believe Ten dealt theirs in 2024 as part of the trade up to get Levis last draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad