Trade: [TEN/ATL] Julio Jones traded to Titans for 2nd rounder, swap of 4th for 6th

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good place for Julio. Good QB, #2 WR now, good offense
Whoever the Titans Slot receiver and TE are they have to be thrilled about the single coverage that they are going to see with Julio and Brown on the outside drawing the double teams.

that and the Power run game from Henry.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Because ATL can win the super bowl in the next 2-3 years? Don’t see that happening. All nfc west contenders teams have no first next season. Makes their second more valuable to them.
They could have given them picks beyond a 2nd this draft, especially if they want to ‘win now’.
Which is stupid because Atlanta isn't contending for the SB anytime soon.
Sometimes players and teams don’t want to see each other again soon.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They could have given them picks beyond a 2nd this draft, especially if they want to ‘win now’.

How tight are SF, LAR, Sea to the cap? Maybe they needed Atl to eat some of Julio‘a salary which appears to be something they didn’t want to do.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Lesson here is that someone was lying about the Falcons having a 1st on the table.
Not really. Teams offering a 1st probably needed Atlanta to absorb a chunk of Jones 's salary. The Titans did not ask them to.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
This seems like a prototypical win-win-trade to me. I like it for both teams:

The Falcons needed cap relief badly. Taking on Jones' expensive deal is rather risky, so I don't believe there were many other serious suitors; the return might seem a big low, but I consider it solid value for a WR with some question marks surrounding him. Pitts is already anointed as the next receiving superstar, so the drop-off on the field might be quite minimal. Atlanta will continue its rebuild anyway.

As a newer franchise, the Titans certainly benefit from Jones' name value alone. Their momentum had been stalled a bit last season, but they improved their offense. Being hell-bent on contending right now, they will have to take some risks to see what potential Jones can offer to them. The AFC has become even tighter.

Gruß,
BSHH

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
How tight are SF, LAR, Sea to the cap? Maybe they needed Atl to eat some of Julio‘a salary which appears to be something they didn’t want to do.
I have no doubt the brain trust handling the 49ers money manage could make it work, but it’s probably just easier to deal with the team that’s out of conference and willing to eat his salary.

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021

I still think that's a horseshit reason to take potentially less value in a trade.

I do at least understand being reticent to make a major in-division trade considering how the NFL playoff seeding/structure works (though I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy all the time), but for a team that's not on the cusp of contention, trading outside the division but within the conference to teams that are not traditional rivals? That's totally different. In the vast majority of situations, I believe in getting the best possible return you can regardless of who you're trading with.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I still think that's a horseshit reason to take potentially less value in a trade.

I do at least understand being reticent to make a major in-division trade considering how the NFL playoff seeding/structure works (though I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy all the time), but for a team that's not on the cusp of contention, trading outside the division but within the conference to teams that are not traditional rivals? That's totally different. In the vast majority of situations, I believe in getting the best possible return you can regardless of who you're trading with.
I don’t think anyone should ever mix business with feelings wrt sports. It’s how guys like Joe Thornton and Josh Donaldson get traded for pennies on the dollar, but it’s an undeniable part of life.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have no doubt the brain trust handling the 49ers money manage could make it work, but it’s probably just easier to deal with the team that’s out of conference and willing to eat his salary.
I'm sure that they could have worked it out for this season.
But, they are already without their first round pick for the next 2 drafts. Even if they didn't take back a 6th like the Titans did and just gave up a 2nd and 4th, the leaves the Niners thin on draft capital and they are approaching new deals for some of their better younger players.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm sure that they could have worked it out for this season.
But, they are already without their first round pick for the next 2 drafts. Even if they didn't take back a 6th like the Titans did and just gave up a 2nd and 4th, the leaves the Niners thin on draft capital and they are approaching new deals for some of their better younger players.
Which if their approach was win-now/rebuild-later would be perfectly fine. With the Lance trade they’ve probably hoped to extend their window which makes your logic more apt.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Not worried about Tennessee. Ryan Tannehill is throwing him balls. Not Matt Ryan. And this isn't prime Julio. The man, as great of as a person he is, isn't what he once was.

My team needs to be most concerned about maybe Buffalo. And that injury bug.

Reactions: tacogeoff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not worried about Tennessee. Ryan Tannehill is throwing him balls. Not Matt Ryan. And this isn't prime Julio. The man, as great of as a person he is, isn't what he once was.

My team needs to be most concerned about maybe Buffalo. And that injury bug.
Julio will be more consistent than Corey Davis was. Jones not the same guy as he was 3 seasons ago, but if teams opt to leave him man to man, he can still hurt you.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Whoever the Titans Slot receiver and TE are they have to be thrilled about the single coverage that they are going to see with Julio and Brown on the outside drawing the double teams.

that and the Power run game from Henry.

Henry is going to be thrilled to because opponents won’t be able to stack the box. They now have to respect the weapons outside

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->