Minneapolis, MN
What mind boggles me is this

People think Murphy is a legit 3-4 guy
People think Da Haan is a top pairing guy
People think Maatta is a good 2-3 guy
People think that Keith is still a top pairing guy
People think that Gus is a good 3rd pair and PP
Seabrook is supposedly still a serviceable 3rd pairing or 6-7 guy

So why on earth is this D failing? THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS EVERYONE THINKS....

Reality is this

Murphy is truly a third pairing guy
DaHaan/Maatta/Keith are all 2nd pairing guys
Seabrook doesn’t belong in the NHL
Gus doesn’t belong in the NHL in his own end

This team has zero top pairing guys...

Reality is you have no idea what you are talking about. This is your typical post where you make these outrageous claims and have literally nothing to back it up. Just another clueless HS post that makes up imaginary stances like “people think de Haan is a fist pairing D man”. Just uninformed HS crying.

Just read Pez68’s post on the defensive issues and what is driving them. You won’t understand but if you try really hard you might get a gold star.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Reality is you have no idea what you are talking about. This is your typical post where you make these outrageous claims and have literally nothing to back it up. Just another clueless HS post that makes up imaginary stances like “people think de Haan is a fist pairing D man”. Just uninformed HS crying.

Just read Pez68’s post on the defensive issues and what is driving them. You won’t understand but if you try really hard you might get a gold star.

You know, it’s funny you have an excuse for everything. Can you please tell me why the team is bad and produces not results? How about we start a thread discussing just that “why do the Blackhawks suck”

In fact I am gonna make it right now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You know, it’s funny you have an excuse for everything. Can you please tell me why the team is bad and produces not results? How about we start a thread discussing just that “why do the Blackhawks suck”

In fact I am gonna make it right now.

Again you have no idea what an excuse is considering I didn’t make a single one. Excuses try to remove blame and that is not close to what I or other do. We are simply explaining the why not removing blame. This is pre HS stuff.

Go for it. It will you chance to actually explain things using facts instead of your typical gibberish and feelings. This be embarrassing for you.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If what you are saying is true then everyone here is in agreement that the Hawks have zero top pairing D. If that’s the case why is Stan considered to be a good GM and has done a great job? If the team has a huge gaping hole like not having top pairing guys then what’s the excuse for him not being fired right now? Also what’s the excuse for trading guys like Joker which have potential to be exactly that? The word here is that Mitchel was valued before him, it’s very hard to get a prospect to become a top pairing D especially not picked in the first round or high first round, why get rid of potential? What’s the need for Nylander when your D is in bad shape? I just don’t understand what this guy is doing.
Still waiting on that citation.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I dont think anyone here, optimistic or pessimistic, thinks keith is still a top pairing dman.
He was one (among the top 62 defenders) last year. But so far this year, he looks more like an average middle pairing guy, which is hopefully him just having a slow start, but I'm unfortunately thinking it has more to do with being a step slower out there.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He was one (among the top 62 defenders) last year. But so far this year, he looks more like an average middle pairing guy, which is hopefully him just having a slow start, but I'm unfortunately thinking it has more to do with being a step slower out there.
Yeah. I think its just his body taking a step back. I dont think anyones played more hockey than him since 2010. He clearly still thinks the game at a very high level.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Disagree. He's a 2nd pairing guy IMO.

But yeah @Blackhawks nobody thinks they have a top pairing D on the current roster. Murphy, de Haan, Maatta and Keith are all 2nd pairing D, Gustafsson is a 2nd pairing D if he's putting up 50+ pts, Koekkoek is a fine #6/7 and Seabrook is a borderline NHL player.

Keith is debatable at the moment, but the Hawks won’t have a top-pairing until Boqvist and Beaudin or Mitchell develop into one. Until then, they’re stuck with trying to employ of strategy of having a bunch of good but not great defensemen on the blue line.

I wouldn’t hold my breathe on the kids taking over as legit top pairings anytime soon since defensemen take longer to fully develop than forwards. So we could be stuck watching a lot of good but not great defense for a while, unless a big trade or signing happens

At least Boqvist will provide some cool offense during his ascension to a top pairing guy.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
until he retires Jets are held hostage...they can't add someone right now if Buff comes back..they have to wait and see what he does, suspending him simply means he isn't getting paid..
so they can recoup his cap once he retires? what happens if he comes back do they get that capspace back by game percentage or somthing?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
so they can recoup his cap once he retires? what happens if he comes back do they get that capspace back by game percentage or somthing?
the crazy thing is if Buff does come back, the Jets would be over the cap, they would need to cut/send down over $1.6 mil I believe, so they have to make a move or two just to fit him under the cap now. as for what happens when he retires, not sure if he has any recapture penalties, someone better versed with that stuff could weigh in...

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

yeah, murphy is a rock solid 2nd pair guy. I actually think for the Hawks to have any real success this year its going to depend on giving guys like Murphy, Maatta, De Haan and Gus bigger roles while phasing out Keith and Seabrook and Crawford. Get Lehner in there as the full time 1 and fix the pairings.

Maatta-Gus
De Haan-Murphy
Keith-Boqvist

Seabrook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad