OT: Tell us something about your favourite former Leafs

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I'll start..

I loved and had big hopes for Karel Pilar. Drafted 39th overall by the Leafs as a 23 year old in the 2001 draft, he played 3 partial seasons with the Leafs (90 games with 30 points) but ultimately health issues/heart problems held him back and he headed back to Europe playing another decade and retiring recently, in 2018.

He was a steady, heady RHD defenseman with a nice breakout pass and a big shot. A year older than fellow Czech Kaberle, I wish he was able to play more games with the Leafs and a few with Kabby, and receive more of an opportunity post-lockout.

He played 50 games on that loaded [pre-lockout] 2003-2004 team which had Belfour, Leetch, Francis, Mogilny, Nolan, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe (not to forget Tucker, Domi, Big Nik, Poni and the list continues) and lost to Roenick and the Flyers in Game 6 overtime after the Tucker hit on Kapanen.

He had a penchant for stepping up in big games and he had the Leafs first goal in that Game 6 OT loss, trailing 2-0 midway through the 3rd period. Goal at 0:55:

Here's a random clip of him riling up rookie Ilya Kovalchuk (also Pilar's rookie year):

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
18 year old Nazem Kadri was crushed when he was drafted by the bitter rivals of his favourite NHL team (Montreal Canadiens).

He got over it and embraced his new organization playing passionately for them sometimes to an extreme.

A decade later he was crushed when he was traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He also got over that: 9 goals 9 assists in 15 playoff games.

Reactions: willmma

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
18 year old Nazem Kadri was crushed when he was drafted by the bitter rivals of his favourite NHL team (Montreal Canadiens).

He got over it and embraced his new organization playing passionately for them sometimes to an extreme.

A decade later he was crushed when he was traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

He also got over that: 9 goals 9 assists in 15 playoff games.

I don't recall him being crushed at being drafted by the Leafs??

This isn't a thread to push agendas, there's enough of those around.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Once upon a time the Toronto Maple Leafs drafted a Saskatchewan farm boy 1st overall.

He played Left wing and he skated very fast.

He was a nice quiet young man and could grow a very nice moustache.

He also would punch your head off, had a laser of a wrist shot that would take your head off, and would stand up for his teammates at the drop of a hat.

I liked him a lot. He’s been retired for a while now but I bet he could still beat up our entire roster of softies...... :).

Wendel was swell. Sadly they don’t come like this anymore.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Once upon a time the Toronto Maple Leafs drafted a Saskatchewan farm boy 1st overall.

He played Left wing and he skated very fast.

He was a nice quiet young man and could grow a very nice moustache.

He also would punch your head off, had a laser of a wrist shot that would take your head off, and would stand up for his teammates at the drop of a hat.

I liked him a lot. He’s been retired for a while now but I bet he could still beat up our entire roster of softies...... :).

Wendel was swell. Sadly they don’t come like this anymore.

It was nice seeing him stand up for Dougie.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'll start..

I loved and had big hopes for Karel Pilar. Drafted 39th overall by the Leafs as a 23 year old in the 2001 draft, he played 3 partial seasons with the Leafs (90 games with 30 points) but ultimately health issues/heart problems held him back and he headed back to Europe playing another decade and retiring recently, in 2018.

He was a steady, heady RHD defenseman with a nice breakout pass and a big shot. A year older than fellow Czech Kaberle, I wish he was able to play more games with the Leafs and a few with Kabby, and receive more of an opportunity post-lockout.

He played 50 games on that loaded [pre-lockout] 2003-2004 team which had Belfour, Leetch, Francis, Mogilny, Nolan, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe (not to forget Tucker, Domi, Big Nik, Poni and the list continues) and lost to Roenick and the Flyers in Game 6 overtime after the Tucker hit on Kapanen.

He had a penchant for stepping up in big games and he had the Leafs first goal in that Game 6 OT loss, trailing 2-0 midway through the 3rd period. Goal at 0:55:

Here's a random clip of him riling up rookie Ilya Kovalchuk (also Pilar's rookie year):

This is a great thread :nod:

I remember that Pilar goal well. I also remember when he first came to the Leafs, I confused him with Rich Pilon :laugh:

There are a ton of players I could write about. But I think I will pick Nikolai Antropov. I remember in 1999-2000, Sundin got injured and Antropov was called up to centre the first line. I had to write a short analysis for school (Grade 6) about a newspaper article, so I chose the article about Antropov stepping up to the challenge. I got a really good mark and I was very pleased.

He had a great rookie season with 30 points in 66 games, but then struggled the next few years until 2002-2003 where he had 45 points in 72 games and was the third-highest scoring forward on the team. It looked like he was finally breaking out.

He struggled again for the next few years, but became a leader for the team in the late 2000s when the team was a trainwreck. I really enjoyed following his career, as well as his twin Alexei Ponikarovski and Tomas Kaberle, as they were all long-time Leafs who happened to be rookies when I was really getting in to the Leafs. But now this makes me feel very old.

Reactions: qqaz

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Felix Potvin was super into punk rock saw him at a sick of it all and a nofx/good riddance show with Dougie. We also share the same bday he’s a G

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I liked Chad Kilger, I remember saying to a friend (who wasnt a huge fan) while at game...keep and eye on Kilger, he makes sure to get atleast 1 hit per shift. And it proved right that night

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'll start..

Loved the old day Leafs, Mogilny, Tucker, T. Green, Corson and Sundin were my favorites. That's what got me into the hockey in the first place, but lots of disappointments along the way.

Reactions: LeafSteel

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Felix Potvin lead the league in GAA in his rookie year, was 2nd in SV% and finished 4th in vezina and shockingly only 3rd in Calder voting.

His lowest GAA in his career was 2.31....for the LA Kings of all-teams

Oh yeah and he beat up Ron Hextell once, I swear I saw it

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
That night Potvin won a fight against Hextall was pretty amazing. Remember that Hextall strutted around the league acting like he was the toughest goalie (which is a bit like being the tallest short person). Most goalies never want anything to do with that stuff. And Felix Potvin especially, a soft spoken even tempered goalie if there ever was one. Hextall literally chased Potvin down for that fight. There's some sweet justice seeing Hextall discover that just because he wanted to fight didn't mean he was good at it.

Reactions: Subway Schenn

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
it was around 1980 ...was at an event with Sittler and Palmateer there (and a few other Leafs), and they noticed me get pushed aside when i tried to go speak to them, and they made a point to come see me for a chat. ...great people!

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
That night Potvin won a fight against Hextall was pretty amazing. Remember that Hextall strutted around the league acting like he was the toughest goalie (which is a bit like being the tallest short person). Most goalies never want anything to do with that stuff. And Felix Potvin especially, a soft spoken even tempered goalie if there ever was one. Hextall literally chased Potvin down for that fight. There's some sweet justice seeing Hextall discover that just because he wanted to fight didn't mean he was good at it.
potvin hextal fight - Bing video

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Think Danny Markov brings back the fondest memories for me just because of his enthusiasm for everything he did lol.
Rookie in St Johns and knocks the opposing teams mascot off the glass.
The Jagr salutes
Beating Roberts in a fight and Bowen calling it

Reactions: Subway Schenn

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Karel Pilar (Pilash) threw me a puck over the glass after a preseason game at the ACC when I was a kid. I missed it and it fell over the glass. I was sad for a couple days afterwards lol.

The team Pilar was on back then, with Sundin, Mogilny, Tucker, Domi, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, Kaberle, McCabe, Green, Corson, Antropov, Ponikorovsky etc etc. Wow, what a team. Would love to have that team in its prime back.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Karel Pilar (Pilash) threw me a puck over the glass after a preseason game at the ACC when I was a kid. I missed it and it fell over the glass. I was sad for a couple days afterwards lol.

The team Pilar was on back then, with Sundin, Mogilny, Tucker, Domi, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, Kaberle, McCabe, Green, Corson, Antropov, Ponikorovsky etc etc. Wow, what a team. Would love to have that team in its prime back.
That team went to the conference finals in 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad