Tell Me I'm Wrong...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Idea from the Sekaras segment on the Team 1040 of course...

Thought we could have a fun Canucks themed version.... Or if mods wish to make it OT if it goes elsewhere...

I was inspired to make this thread because of a burning "what if" thought i've had for awhile now... and it fits perfectly under this format...

Tell me i'm wrong... If @strombone01 existed back in 2008, Luongo would still be the captain of the Vancouver Canucks today.

Controversial... but think about it. Almost every issue the media blew out of proportion leading to Luongo relinquishing the C was due to a massive over analysis of every word he said, often turning his tongue-in-cheek comments into mini-controversies.. Twitter would of squashed ALL of it... And if he had the added boost in popularity and the additional understanding twitter has provided us about Luongo and his sense of humor that we have today, but 5 yrs earlier.. he may still have that C on his chin. Just a thought...

Last edited:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Hard to imagine an NHL captain having such an irreverent media presence.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it would have been about as unprecedented as naming the goaltender captain.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I read this whole post in a high pitched, squeaky, condescending tone.

When the Canucks were eliminated, I speculated the Canucks would go on a PR overdrive before the next season in order to keep Lou. They didn't need to, Lou did it himself. The guy having an "aww shucks" attitude has really endeared himself to the fans. This town (and country for that matter) has always cheered for the underdog. Him getting knocked off his perch and grounded really helped him.

Wizeman*

I do not think its practical to have your goalie be the captain of your franchise.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I do not think its practical to have your goalie be the captain of your franchise.

Especially in city like Vancouver where the goalie is the one that takes all of the blame. Oh wait, I guess that was part of MG's pitch to get Lu to stay and re-sign in Vancouver though. :sarcasm:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
What makes it so great about having Strombone now is that he's on his way out, so he can just let it all hang out and everyone will laugh. If he still meant a big deal to the franchise, the media would be questioning it and the account would be a much bigger distraction and probably shut down eventually. Media tend to ruin things.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What makes it so great about having Strombone now is that he's on his way out, so he can just let it all hang out and everyone will laugh. If he still meant a big deal to the franchise, the media would be questioning it and the account would be a much bigger distraction and probably shut down eventually. Media tend to ruin things.

I don't think that would be the case at all considering the context of his tweets... he's been brilliant (intentionally or unintentionally) at showcasing a side of personality the public never really knew about... A very likable one. I don't see anything that even Botch would be able spin.

Speaking of which... i love how Botch and the rest of media have taken speculation of the specific conversation Gillis must of had with Schneider and his agent during negotiations promising him to be the number 1 immediately and are presenting it and repeating it like its a fact... every day. Nauseating at how transparent they're being at trying create this into an even bigger circus. Transparent.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Kinda off topic but when did people first start thinking that Strombone is Luongo?

About this time last year, maybe a couple weeks before there was speculation because apparently Sami Salo made a "no tweeting on the bus" rule or something like that. Some quick and dirty investigative work by some members here found Strombone, slavy, other anonymous Twitter accounts that people tried to dig deeper. They found an account for online Poker site linked to Luongo, etc.

For me the clincher would have to be when I searched something on Facebook and a page for someone popped up with some very strong correlation to that page regarding Luo. I haven't really ever told anyone this much about it until now because at the time I wanted to respect his privacy, and I'm still fairly cryptic about it because part of me still wants that for him but really it's quite obvious @strombone1 is Luo. I've had no doubt in my mind about that for a year.

HAMMY5

Jan 22, 2013
Abbotsford BC
We need some more Tell me im wrongs going here ..

Tell me Im wrong but as much as I am impressed with Schroeders play so far this season once Kesler and Booth come back he will find himself out of our lineup and be back with the Wolves.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010

Tell me Im wrong but as much as I am impressed with Schroeders play so far this season once Kesler and Booth come back he will find himself out of our lineup and be back with the Wolves.

Your wrong I think we're going to see him get an opportunity to play on the 3rd line with his defensive play. I believe he'll add an offensive flare to that line that we have lacked in a couple seasons past.

However, I could see Schroeder possibly being packaged in a Luongo deal if the return is a #1C / blue chip prospect that this organization sorely lacks.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
you're wrong.

I think fan and press backlash has less affect on what goes on in the dressing room than we give credit for.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Having Luongo as captain was just impractical. Instead of just focusing on stopping the puck, he had to focus on his teammates and getting explanations from the refs for calls against them. He also had to be the one that answered to the media, and that tended to distract him if things weren't going well. I don't think @strombone1 would have changed much, other than giving the media even more questions to ask him about.

RainbowDeathBunny

Apr 27, 2007
Having Luongo as captain was just impractical. Instead of just focusing on stopping the puck, he had to focus on his teammates and getting explanations from the refs for calls against them. He also had to be the one that answered to the media, and that tended to distract him if things weren't going well. I don't think @strombone1 would have changed much, other than giving the media even more questions to ask him about.

I think he focuses on his team mates regardless of the C...remember that overtime goal against Anh in the playoffs a few years ago? I also don't think his role in front of the media would have changed much - he's known leader in the locker room, and the media expect him to give his opinion on things. As for the calls, he was never the official captain, so he never dealt with the refs really...that was left to the A's.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
mayor of wrongville!

the captaincy thing was enough of a bad idea and such a distraction that it would have ended no matter what IMO

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I can't tell you you're wrong.

They may shuffle him in and out with Volpatti and Weise depending on matchups for awhile, but he would be best served being the guy in the A for the rest of this season, barring injuries of course, if Booth and Kesler come back 100%.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Luongo's always had a great personality and a humourous one at that. He's just never really expressed it up until now

.. to the public.

Its only now we understand what EVERYONE in the room had always said about Luongo all along....

I don't know if it just sounded so cliche or what.. but it never really registered to the public till they saw it first hand via twitter.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Tell me I'm wrong(nasal passages closed when saying this)

Dan Hamhuis makes the 2014 team Canada

I would take him over Phaneuf. lol.

Dan has a greater chance to make this team on a bigger ice surface than he would on a smaller rink. But still doubt he makes Canada's top 7... Has a slim chance tho.
i.e. a lot of people have Letang locked in... but man was he just brutal last playoffs. he has to have a good playoffs this yr IMO to be back...

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I would take him over Phaneuf. lol.

Dan has a greater chance to make this team on a bigger ice surface than he would on a smaller rink. But still doubt he makes Canada's top 7... Has a slim chance tho.

Advanced stats say Chara is the only better defenseman defensively, over the past three years.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tell me I'm wrong... Matt Sekeres is useless and shouldn't have a job anywhere, and I'd prefer if nobody ever told me things he says.

Go on. Tell me I'm wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->