Tell me a good horror and/or sci-fi movie streaming on netflix right now

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iran's Under the Shadow. The movie starts out as a straight drama and then slowly morphs into something very different. Very, very effective.

Reactions: Winger98

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
If you haven't seen them, I see Push with Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning is on Netflix, I thought that was pretty decent. So is The World's End with Simon Pegg (witty apocalypse flick). Looper is good if you haven't seen it. I see The Endless is already on Netflix. That's a low budget sci-fi flick but probably the most mind-bending thing I've seen this year (not for everyone, more of a Sundance indie, check to see the plotline first, it isn't mainstream). Another strange one is Colossal with Anne Hathaway ( I loved it but it's uber-weird). Come to think of it, I might look at Push again this weekend on Netflix, I really liked that for some reason.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Ex Machina
Moon
Inception

Three great choices. Although I enjoyed Inception for the Cillian Murphy backstory more than anything else in the film. Moon and Ex Machina are both extremely well done

I liked The Invitation and Train to Busan (if you're cool with subtitles).

I would say 90 percent of viewers should probably peg the final act of The Invitation within the first 15 minutes, but maybe that’s just how obvious i felt it was.

Train to Busan was a very refreshing take on zombie horror. I enjoyed it start to finish.

Not sure if it’s still available on any demand streams but i thoroughly enjoyed Arrival.

Reactions: Deen

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I liked The Invitation and Train to Busan (if you're cool with subtitles).

Train to Busan was a very refreshing take on zombie horror. I enjoyed it start to finish.

Agreed. I really enjoyed Train to Busan. As I was watching, I thought, man Asia sure knows how to make refreshing horror movies, unlike Hollywood who keeps churning out the same formula.

Reactions: TD Charlie and Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Agreed. I really enjoyed Train to Busan. As I was watching, I thought, man Asia sure knows how to make refreshing horror movies, unlike Hollywood who keeps churning out the same formula.

It's the work of the South Koreans. The Wailing is great too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's the work of the South Koreans. The Wailing is great too.
I thought The Wailing was just OK but overall I've been very impressed with the South Korean films I've seen.

Train to Busan was excellent. Amazing amount of heart put into that movie. The characters were so unbelievably fleshed out, and you legitimately cared for them.

Just re-watched The Host and forgot how hilarious it was. Such a unique blend of genres and styles in that movie.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
An under the radar recommendation would be The Circle (not sure if it's still on Netflix though). It's very much so a low budget movie, which can be tough for a Sci-Fi movie to excel with, but it's such a simple concept that it doesn't matter. Some very on the nose social commentary, but very enjoyable, gripping and well-written.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad