OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: Let’s Do This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Watching old Barkley games. He really carried these rosters.
Mike took Hersey Hawkins' soul in the 4th quarter

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Watching old Barkley games. He really carried these rosters.
Mike took Hersey Hawkins' soul in the 4th quarter

First Barkley, then AI. Management never really put a legit contending roster around either of them. For all the bad stuff that current management has been involved with, at least they’re trying.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
First Barkley, then AI. Management never really put a legit contending roster around either of them. For all the bad stuff that current management has been involved with, at least they’re trying.
The first game in this series they got blown out and Charles had 30 points and 20 rebs!

You really get an appreciation for Charles watching full games. He slashed 24/17/5 in this series.
Mike went for 43/7/7 with 4 steals (!) though so it didnt even matter.

Reactions: Jack Straw

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Bottom and it wouldn’t be close. Simmons is the best on-ball defender in that group. LouWill would be tremendous with that much space on the court. Mutombo would be a liability on both ends.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Bottom and it wouldn’t be close. Simmons is the best on-ball defender in that group. LouWill would be tremendous with that much space on the court. Mutombo would be a liability on both ends.
I can potentially see it after thinking more about it. ..but not sure if they would run away with it necessarily. These comparisons are kind of meaningless anyway

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Thought I posted an answer to this but apparently it got lost in the interspace. Must have been a “glitch”.

Anyway, I lean towards the top. The caveat (and it’s a big one) is that neither Simmons nor Embiid has reached his prime. If they do eventually reach the expections we have for them then bottom wins. But going by the best we’ve seen from all players so far-

AI is the best player on the floor. By a lot. 3 on 3? That’s playground ball and nobody is beating AI at playground ball. He’ll score at will. Love Lou Will but he’s the worst defender on the floor and he’s not keeping pace with AI offensively. Iggy won a Finals MVP for the job he did defensively against prime LeBron, he’ll make life miserable for Simmons. Deke won’t score but he was a great defensive center, he won’t shut Embiid down any more than he shut Shaq down in the 2001 Finals, but he’ll make it hard for JoJo. Simmons’ greatest asset has been his passing, he has fewer options 3 on 3 than 5 on 5. I think prime Iggy vs prime (as of now) Simmons is more or less a wash. The question is can Embiid’s edge over Deke offset AI’s edge over Sweet Lou. I think not, but it would be an interesting matchup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwarbomb

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
One other factor, and it’s real and it’s significant. Depending on how the game is structured, how hard they go, Embiid may die on the court. Apart from being great defensively, Deke was tireless. I don’t think I ever saw him breath hard. Embiid, to this point in his career, has not shown the conditioning to keep up with these guys 3 on 3 in a game of any real length and intensity.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
One other factor, and it’s real and it’s significant. Depending on how the game is structured, how hard they go, Embiid may die on the court. Apart from being great defensively, Deke was tireless. I don’t think I ever saw him breath hard. Embiid, to this point in his career, has not shown the conditioning to keep up with these guys 3 on 3 in a game of any real length and intensity.
The thing that makes me lean up top is the intangible chemistry aspect. Umm Ben and Embiid in a 3 on 3 situation against 3 pretty athletic and dynamic players .....not sure. Embiid's conditioning....Simmons lack of a shot...and then their chemistry when on the court together as far as offense...dunno man. I see more standing around with the bottom three vs the top...

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The thing that makes me lean up top is the intangible chemistry aspect. Umm Ben and Embiid in a 3 on 3 situation against 3 pretty athletic and dynamic players .....not sure. Embiid's conditioning....Simmons lack of a shot...and then their chemistry when on the court together as far as offense...dunno man. I see more standing around with the bottom tree vs the top...

I really don’t want to hate on Ben/Joel, but when it comes to intangibles Team Top wins by a mile. AI alone has more of the intangibles than Ben/Joel combined.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Jo/Simmons/AI/Deke/Iggy/Lou in that order. So bottom row.
Assuming you get focused Jo/Simmons but it wouldnt be a blow out.
Focused Jo is in the Giannis/LeBron tier. He's that good. We only get that 10 x per year though.

Iggy and Deke are the 2 worst offensive players by a wide margin. Simmons/Jo are also better defensively respectively.
So top row's gotta have AI go off with Simmons defending and if that doesnt work youre sunk.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
fd94ddfa.jpg

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Prime Iggy still underrated.
I think its more that Jo/Simmons' careers thus far together are underrated by the fanbase if anything.

Other than 'more amazing' (whats the criteria?) and 'positive impact off the court' (which is overwhelmingly LeBron imo) I agree with this.
The fact that LeBron is even in the argument though is a testament to the career he's had.
Ive never played in Jordan's or Lebron's because I try to avoid Nike stuff on principle so no contest on those from me.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think its more that Jo/Simmons' careers thus far together are underrated by the fanbase if anything.

Other than 'more amazing' (whats the criteria?) and 'positive impact off the court' (which is overwhelmingly LeBron imo) I agree with this.
The fact that LeBron is even in the argument though is a testament to the career he's had.
Ive never played in Jordan's or Lebron's because I try to avoid Nike stuff on principle so no contest on those from me.

It's from ESPN so who knows what "more amazing" means.

MJ had the most Make-A-Wish wishes granted before John Cena passed him. One could argue that the the creation of Jordan Brand could be included in the positive impact off of the court. It's a billion dollar entity now.

Lebron is too "when it benefits me" when it comes to the things that he's done off the court and stood up for.

No comment on Nike because I don't want Uncle Phil knocking on my door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad