OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: Let’s Do This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

RIP. He had been retired awhile by the time I saw the Globetrotters live, but remember him from Scooby Doo and Gilligan's Island

Just saw this on the news. I saw him with the Globies at the Spectrum, they were so great and he was amazing. RIP.

Reactions: SnS

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I don't have lists, apart from judging the player you have to judge how the player is perceived by... who exactly? I will say that I really liked those Detroit teams with Ben and Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Billups... I don't know if I'd call any of them overrated or underrated but together they were more than the sum of their parts.

Today, a guy I think is underrated- or at least under-appreciated, is Jamal Murray. I really like him and think he'd be a great fit with Simmons in the backcourt. Steven Adams is another guy who is underrated. Overrated, or at least "over-hyped" - Zion. Not that he isn't going to be good, I see him as an all-star caliber PF. But I don't see him as an MVP caliber player. Other than his explosiveness (which is impressive to be sure) nothing about him really stands out for me.
Small sample but Zion was more efficient and productive than Luka at 19.
With a fraction of Luka's offensive polish and none of his experience against men.
Watching a 19 yr old bully grown men in the paint. I openly bellylaughed at Zion's highlights.

The 2 major questions about Zion to me are health and his overall skill development in that organization.
Whats scary is that he's not really polished skillwise.
He needs to be handling the ball and getting shots up at volume and im not sold on Lonzo/Ingram being good enough pieces to take that usage from him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Small sample but Zion was more efficient and productive than Luka at 19.
With a fraction of Luka's offensive polish and none of his experience against men.
Watching a 19 yr old bully grown men in the paint. I openly bellylaughed at Zion's highlights.

The 2 major questions about Zion to me are health and his overall skill development in that organization.
Whats scary is that he's not really polished skillwise.
He needs to be handling the ball and getting shots up at volume and im not sold on Lonzo/Ingram being good enough pieces to take that usage from him.

I'm skeptical that Zion will ever be playing a whole lot with the ball in his hands. The fact that he's not really polished is what makes me skeptical, it's hard to transform yourself as a player once you get the NBA (as Ben Simmons is showing us). If his shooting improves he could turn into a legit stretch 4 with real hops and power, which would make him an all star. I think Ingram has a higher ceiling as a scorer, I think Zion is going to have to earn a lot of his living in the paint, rebounding and so on. I think he can be truly elite there and it would be a mistake to try to turn him into a perimeter player. Now, having said all that Bam has undergone that transition to some extent, but he's still going to earn his keep mainly down low.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Speaking of basketball, you know you miss the NBA when you get excited to see Shaq in those commercials for The General.

Shag_and_The_General.jpg

Reactions: SnS

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
I'm skeptical that Zion will ever be playing a whole lot with the ball in his hands. The fact that he's not really polished is what makes me skeptical, it's hard to transform yourself as a player once you get the NBA (as Ben Simmons is showing us). If his shooting improves he could turn into a legit stretch 4 with real hops and power, which would make him an all star. I think Ingram has a higher ceiling as a scorer, I think Zion is going to have to earn a lot of his living in the paint, rebounding and so on. I think he can be truly elite there and it would be a mistake to try to turn him into a perimeter player. Now, having said all that Bam has undergone that transition to some extent, but he's still going to earn his keep mainly down low.
Interesting comparisons
-Regarding ballhandling, people said the same thing about Simmons and were proven wrong pretty much immediately
-Ingram was a terrible shooter up until a few months ago, he improved. Zion immediately took over as the number 1 option for them because Gentry realized the difference in talent. Zion is 19. I have a feeling his skills will not stagnate.
-Comparing Bam to Zion is apples to oranges. 2 different tiers of players.
If Bam had the offensive impact Zion has at 19 he'd be a different player entirely.

Agree to disagree is what im saying.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leonard misses a free throw! Oh noooooo.

Then Butler scores with 4.2 seconds to go. He is so good...76ers should be re-signing him.

Then....

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Watching game 5 of the 2016 Finals on ESPN and it's kind of shocking how much different LeBron looked then, not nearly as bulked up.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Brand...or should we call him Bland and Colangelo squandered the process.

Wonder how fat Embiid is these days...I swear if he is not taking care of himself during this hiatus..gonna be really annoyed. Simmons should be practicing his shot right now...like what else can he do??

Embiid after being at home for months just having delivery?

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Up early watching the '83 Finals. Gonna try to watch all 4 games today schedule permitting.

NBA / NHL seasons are over. Best we're gonna get is playoffs in winter then a shortened 20-21

Reactions: Jack Straw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->