OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: Let’s Do This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
So bored im making lists now

Most Overrated Players of My Lifetime (Late 90's-onward):
1. Wade
2. Vince Carter
3. Tracy McGrady
4. Paul Pierce
5. Kemba Walker
6. John Wall
7. Paul George
8. Tony Parker
9. Kyle Lowry
10. Chris Paul

Most Underrated Players of My Lifetime:
1. Metta World Peace/Ron Artest
2. Pau and Marc Gasol
3. Shareef Abdur-Rahim
4. Deron Williams
5. Pascal Siakam
6. Amar'e Stoudamire
7. Rashard Lewis
8. Rajon Rondo
9. Latrell Sprewell
10. Joakim Noah

What are yours?

I think Wade is underrated not overrated.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I think Wade is underrated not overrated.
Here's my argument:
-Peaks early in 06. One of the greatest guard seasons ever. no argument from me he was a beast.
-07 he falls back Earth. Gets hurt (big theme), then gets outplayed by Ben Gordon and gets swept in the 1st round as defending champ
-08 Heat win 15 games. Wade plays in 51. Doesnt play at all down the stretch but they were tanking even with him in there.
-09 bounceback. Avgs 30 iirc but the 5th seed Heat go out in the 1st round again.
-10. Same thing with slighly less impact. 5th seed, 1st round exit.
-11. Career is revived with arrival of LeBron. Has a great Final despite the loss.
-12-13. Plays great as the 2nd to Lebron. Back to back titles.
-14. Gets load managed all season specifically for playoffs only to lay an egg in the Final. If he plays at his career median Heat complete the dynasty.
-15 onward not really an impact player ever again. 15/16 gets high usage but the Heat arent scaring anyone. Couple of meh stints for the Bulls and Cavs before taking his victory lap back in Miami.

Peaked early then tailed off.
In the weak East in the midst of his prime couldnt elevate his team beyond 1st round cannon fodder.
Prime Wade and Paul Pierce were the same level of player during this time.
Perrenial All Stars but number 2 on true contenders.
People forget the Heat were not a title threat at any point 07-2010.
Which is why history reflects differently on the Big 3 Celtics/Heatles as opposed to the Durant/Curry Ws.
Late prime is elevated by its proximity to Lebron. Imagine that Heat team 11-14 if he was the lead guy.

1st ballot HOF.
Deserves a statue down in Miami for sure but also should be at least 5-7 spots lower on a lot of all time rankings that I see.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
So bored im making lists now

Most Overrated Players of My Lifetime (Late 90's-onward):
1. Wade
2. Vince Carter
3. Tracy McGrady
4. Paul Pierce
5. Kemba Walker
6. John Wall
7. Paul George
8. Tony Parker
9. Kyle Lowry
10. Chris Paul

Most Underrated Players of My Lifetime:
1. Metta World Peace/Ron Artest
2. Pau and Marc Gasol
3. Shareef Abdur-Rahim
4. Deron Williams
5. Pascal Siakam
6. Amar'e Stoudamire
7. Rashard Lewis
8. Rajon Rondo
9. Latrell Sprewell
10. Joakim Noah

What are yours?

Someone else who liked Shareef Abdur-Rahim! There are at least two of us. :laugh:

I found the Overrated side to be quite a bit harder because it feels like cheating to mention names like Andrew Bynum where I personally didn't believe the massive hype but they eventually turned into punchlines.

Overrated
  1. Kobe Bryant -- I hope everyone understands what I mean here.
  2. Ben Wallace
  3. Vince Carter
  4. Shawn Kemp
  5. Tony Parker
  6. Shane Battier
  7. Lamar Odom
  8. Bradley Beal
  9. DeMarcus Cousins
  10. Rip Hamilton

Underrated
  1. Rasheed Wallace
  2. Tim Hardaway
  3. Gary Payton
  4. Mookie Blaylock
  5. Khris Middleton
  6. Sam Cassell
  7. Eddie Jones
  8. Bonzi Wells
  9. Danny Granger
  10. Steve Smith

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Here's my argument:
-Peaks early in 06. One of the greatest guard seasons ever. no argument from me he was a beast.
-07 he falls back Earth. Gets hurt (big theme), then gets outplayed by Ben Gordon and gets swept in the 1st round as defending champ
-08 Heat win 15 games. Wade plays in 51. Doesnt play at all down the stretch but they were tanking even with him in there.
-09 bounceback. Avgs 30 iirc but the 5th seed Heat go out in the 1st round again.
-10. Same thing with slighly less impact. 5th seed, 1st round exit.
-11. Career is revived with arrival of LeBron. Has a great Final despite the loss.
-12-13. Plays great as the 2nd to Lebron. Back to back titles.
-14. Gets load managed all season specifically for playoffs only to lay an egg in the Final. If he plays at his career median Heat complete the dynasty.
-15 onward not really an impact player ever again. 15/16 gets high usage but the Heat arent scaring anyone. Couple of meh stints for the Bulls and Cavs before taking his victory lap back in Miami.

Peaked early then tailed off.
In the weak East in the midst of his prime couldnt elevate his team beyond 1st round cannon fodder.
Prime Wade and Paul Pierce were the same level of player during this time.
Perrenial All Stars but number 2 on true contenders.
People forget the Heat were not a title threat at any point 07-2010.
Which is why history reflects differently on the Big 3 Celtics/Heatles as opposed to the Durant/Curry Ws.
Late prime is elevated by its proximity to Lebron. Imagine that Heat team 11-14 if he was the lead guy.

1st ballot HOF.
Deserves a statue down in Miami for sure but also should be at least 5-7 spots lower on a lot of all time rankings that I see.

I take Wade over Kobe pretty easily, I don't think it's really close.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Overrated
  2. Ben Wallace
  3. Vince Carter
  4. Shawn Kemp
  5. Tony Parker
  6. Shane Battier
  7. Lamar Odom
  8. Bradley Beal
  9. DeMarcus Cousins
  10. Rip Hamilton
started off with a bang, nice [and agreed]

my overrateds, not mentioned yet:
tracy mcgrady [still can't believe he's a HOF'er]
alonso mourning [see above]
reggie miller [one of the all-time best shooters? yep. everything else? average, if that]

underrateds not mentioned:
Adrian Dantley
Mitch Richmond
Joe Dumars
George Gervin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I loved Shareef. Any excuse to see these bad boys.

Ce9yT85VIAEQF-U.jpg

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Someone else who liked Shareef Abdur-Rahim! There are at least two of us. :laugh:

I found the Overrated side to be quite a bit harder because it feels like cheating to mention names like Andrew Bynum where I personally didn't believe the massive hype but they eventually turned into punchlines.

Overrated
  2. Ben Wallace
  3. Vince Carter
  4. Shawn Kemp
  5. Tony Parker
  6. Shane Battier
  7. Lamar Odom
  8. Bradley Beal
  9. DeMarcus Cousins
  10. Rip Hamilton

Underrated
  1. Rasheed Wallace
  2. Tim Hardaway
  3. Gary Payton
  4. Mookie Blaylock
  5. Khris Middleton
  6. Sam Cassell
  7. Eddie Jones
  8. Bonzi Wells
  9. Danny Granger
  10. Steve Smith
That Jailblazer team was a squad. Lotta pure talent on those rosters.
I take Wade over Kobe pretty easily, I don't think it's really close.
somewhat surprising. Based on? Wade was less impactful on offense and defense. Kobe's prime and peak were longer.
Kobe's outside the top 10 but Wade wouldnt make my top 25. And im not a Kobe fan at all.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I don't have lists, apart from judging the player you have to judge how the player is perceived by... who exactly? I will say that I really liked those Detroit teams with Ben and Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Billups... I don't know if I'd call any of them overrated or underrated but together they were more than the sum of their parts.

Today, a guy I think is underrated- or at least under-appreciated, is Jamal Murray. I really like him and think he'd be a great fit with Simmons in the backcourt. Steven Adams is another guy who is underrated. Overrated, or at least "over-hyped" - Zion. Not that he isn't going to be good, I see him as an all-star caliber PF. But I don't see him as an MVP caliber player. Other than his explosiveness (which is impressive to be sure) nothing about him really stands out for me.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
how very nice that a millionaire does what a billionaire should be doing

I'd almost prefer it if Embiid said he was going to ask for a trade unless Harris paid up

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
So how bad would you look if you forced the coaching staff to forgo 20% of their salaries and then canned them before the start of next season?

Reactions: Jack Straw

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Saw Balmer bought the Coliseum for $400M cash.

Thought to myself that’s a lot of cash.

Then I saw he bought it from Dolan who spent $23.5M on it 8 years ago and put $75M into it. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->