OT: Teh Philadelphia Severty Sixers: Let’s Do This For JS’s Goodest and Bestest Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Matisse is going to be really good in a year or two, right now he's overplaying a lot, still figuring out how to play NBA man to man, deal with screens, etc.
And of course like all college shooters, he's still adjusting to the NBA 3 point distance.
But how many rookies have you ever seen play this kind of defense? Even RoCo took 2-3 years to reach this level.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Matisse is going to be really good in a year or two, right now he's overplaying a lot, still figuring out how to play NBA man to man, deal with screens, etc.
And of course like all college shooters, he's still adjusting to the NBA 3 point distance.
But how many rookies have you ever seen play this kind of defense? Even RoCo took 2-3 years to reach this level.

I was having this conversation with a friend today.

Embiid was the best Rookie I can personally remember on that end of the court. I doubt anyone will ever touch him because of the unique combination of talent and Minutes restrictions causing him to essentially ignore the risk of Fouling and just go for everything. He averaged over 3.6 Fouls in 25 Minutes!

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was having this conversation with a friend today.

Embiid was the best Rookie I can personally remember on that end of the court. I doubt anyone will ever touch him because of the unique combination of talent and Minutes restrictions causing him to essentially ignore the risk of Fouling and just go for everything. He averaged over 3.6 Fouls in 25 Minutes!

He also had the advantage of being... really tall. I’ve never seen a rookie play defense like Matisse. And the scary thing is that he will get better. Future DPOY candidate.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean you could say Pelle does the same thing as Embiid as a rookie, just a bit exaggerated.
But fly swatting is great, but not real "defense," in the sense of guarding players, etc.

Thybelle still has a lot of work ahead of him, calming down, not trying to block everything, avoid the cheap fouls, better footwork, etc.
But what a great start.

It hurt to see Shamet out there, but does say something about how much the Sixers' scouting has improved.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I mean you could say Pelle does the same thing as Embiid as a rookie, just a bit exaggerated.
But fly swatting is great, but not real "defense," in the sense of guarding players, etc.

Oh no. No no no. With Rookie Embiid on the court, opponents shot 45.9% at the rim and 43.7% from less than 6'. Gobert was clear of the rest of the league at the rim by a ridiculous 2%. Embiid was a further ~2% better than Gobert.

That's completely off the charts and he had the 2016-17 Sixers around him. He's as similar to Pelle as he is to Michael Jordan in that they all dribbled sometimes and have nothing else in common.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Oh no. No no no. With Rookie Embiid on the court, opponents shot 45.9% at the rim and 43.7% from less than 6'. Gobert was clear of the rest of the league at the rim by a ridiculous 2%. Embiid was a further ~2% better than Gobert.

That's completely off the charts and he had the 2016-17 Sixers around him. He's as similar to Pelle as he is to Michael Jordan in that they all dribbled sometimes and have nothing else in common.

Embiid also showed the ability to defend against guards on the perimeter. That’s not something you want to see Pelle doing.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I love those goofy things. Agreed on Durant. I started with him and two 5s and worked from there.

Jordan 5
LeBron 5
Dirk 2
Garnett 2
Durant 1

Since there wasn’t anything resembling a big in the $1 tier, I couldn’t even consider making Bird work. I preferred to get Duncan as my big, but it would cost me Dirk and that can’t happen. I did think about Russell instead of Garnett, but unless someone has Shaq, Garnett can stand up to everyone else at the rim. If they have Shaq, they’re missing a second $5 player and that can’t be right. Plus I don’t think Russell or anyone else short of Olajuwon has a chance at stopping Shaq.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I love those goofy things. Agreed on Durant. I started with him and two 5s and worked from there.

Jordan 5
LeBron 5
Dirk 2
Garnett 2
Durant 1

Since there wasn’t anything resembling a big in the $1 tier, I couldn’t even consider making Bird work. I preferred to get Duncan as my big, but it would cost me Dirk and that can’t happen. I did think about Russell instead of Garnett, but unless someone has Shaq, Garnett can stand up to everyone else at the rim. If they have Shaq, they’re missing a second $5 player and that can’t be right. Plus I don’t think Russell or anyone else short of Olajuwon has a chance at stopping Shaq.

garnett can stand up to anyone not named Anthony peeler or Antonio Mcdyess.

Garnett is such a bitch

wilt can handle shaq

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Jordan(5)
Shaq(4)
Wilt(3)
Durant (1)
Stockton(1)

Best combo that I could think of that would be elite on the perimeter and in the paint both offensively and defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad