OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers: We'll Make You Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Simmons is the poster child for sports execs getting way too enamored with ''upside'' and not paying enough attention to the reality of a player. He's never going to be a great PG because he simply refuses to shoot or take the ball strong to the rack in a half court situation. I said last offseason and I stand by it that he will have a better career if he plays PF. That just doesn't work with Embiid and especially now with Horford. I just wish the Sixers would wise up and realize that while they have a great collection of young talent, it's not the right mix. Trade Simmons for a PG who can shoot and watch the offense open up in a major way. Kind of like how having a deep threat like Djax opens up an offense.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Simmons is the poster child for sports execs getting way too enamored with ''upside'' and not paying enough attention to the reality of a player. He's never going to be a great PG because he simply refuses to shoot or take the ball strong to the rack in a half court situation. I said last offseason and I stand by it that he will have a better career if he plays PF. That just doesn't work with Embiid and especially now with Horford. I just wish the Sixers would wise up and realize that while they have a great collection of young talent, it's not the right mix. Trade Simmons for a PG who can shoot and watch the offense open up in a major way. Kind of like how having a deep threat like Djax opens up an offense.

I think playing Simmons at PF could work with Embiid, and then you'd have Horford coming off the bench. Which, at his age, might be a good idea. But you still need that PG and they would have to move significant salary to get a good one. Personally, if things don't turn around soon I'd like to see Brown throw caution to the wind and just start Burke at PG and Simmons at PF. Taking the ball out of Simmons hands might force him to actually get involved in the offense. Maybe even take some of those corner threes that Brown said he wants him to take. How long ago was it that he said that? And how many threes has Simmons attempted since then?

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think playing Simmons at PF could work with Embiid, and then you'd have Horford coming off the bench. Which, at his age, might be a good idea. But you still need that PG and they would have to move significant salary to get a good one. Personally, if things don't turn around soon I'd like to see Brown throw caution to the wind and just start Burke at PG and Simmns at PF. Taking the ball out of Simmons hands might force him to actually get involved in the offense. Maybe even take some of those corner threes that Brown said he wants him to take. How long ago was it that he said that? And how many threes has Simmons attempted since then?
Something needs to change. What they are doing right now isn't working. They have too much talent to be a middle of the road team in the east and not an NBA championship contender. Brown and seemingly the entire organization has been so bullish on Simmons as a PG though that I worry nothing will change.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Simmons is too cool for school...

Thing is if you bring in a hard ass coach who is going to impose more accountability on him and some of the other passenger pigeons you know Simmons for one is going to want out. Look at the Bulls....the team mutinied. These millionaires need to figure it out and yeah Brown needs to facilitate somehow because they are so undisciplined...bonehead plays constantly...on basics too. Also, poor personnel decisions in game...

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I think playing Simmons at PF could work with Embiid, and then you'd have Horford coming off the bench. Which, at his age, might be a good idea. But you still need that PG and they would have to move significant salary to get a good one. Personally, if things don't turn around soon I'd like to see Brown throw caution to the wind and just start Burke at PG and Simmns at PF. Taking the ball out of Simmons hands might force him to actually get involved in the offense. Maybe even take some of those corner threes that Brown said he wants him to take. How long ago was it that he said that? And how many threes has Simmons attempted since then?
Simmons is going too gripe if he isn't the PG....

And yeah he hasn't done crap with threes...he is just ignoring the coach.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Embiid isn't without fault in all of this either. However, I see so much more commitment to improvement and accountability with him that at least you feel like he can work through his struggles and weaknesses. Simmons just doesn't get it and it's obvious and it seems like Brown has enabled him to be that way. Enough is enough.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Something needs to change. What they are doing right now isn't working. They have too much talent to be a middle of the road team in the east and not an NBA championship contender. Brown and seemingly the entire organization has been so bullish on Simmons as a PG though that I worry nothing will change.

I worry about the same thing. I think it's possible that if this season is a regression of sorts there may be some impetus for some kind of significant change.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Embiid isn't without fault in all of this either. However, I see so much more commitment to improvement and accountability with him that at least you feel like he can work through his struggles and weaknesses. Simmons just doesn't get it and it's obvious and it seems like Brown has enabled him to be that way. Enough is enough.
I have to agree about Embiid and the stats don't lie....he is a huge difference maker when in the game as much as he can do some mirror looking as well with his boneheaded turnovers.

Simmons doesn't want to look bad so he is ok with the status quo.....and Brown won't be the coach to make him move the needle.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I worry about the same thing. I think it's possible that if this season is a regression of sorts there may be some impetus for some kind of significant change.
Let's face it....clock is ticking....Embiid's knees already aching and we got a critical half of season to go...

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I agree and that's my biggest concern. At this point it shouldn't take another season of coming up short to alert them to the fact that there needs to be some significant changes. When the window is open you have to take advantage. I had my concerns but I was willing to give it one more offseason to see if Simmons would be willing to change his game to not only improve himself but the team. It's pretty obvious that question has been answered in the wrong direction and whether it's trading him, hiring a new coach and changing his position, etc something has to give and soon.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Not even going to pay attention to this team til about March. They still are on pace for over 50 wins and ideally they figure it out before the playoffs. It isn't unsalvageable but ultimately this will cost Brett his job. Then you need bring someone in who will kick Ben in his ass. What happened on Saturday night was disgraceful. Tobias missing the dunk, Joel getting stripped by Butler when he had two guys open. Cant close games out. Just terrible.

I don't get how Ben is so committed to defending (and an elite defender at that), which takes the most effort. Yet he doesn't want to learn how to shoot? Makes no sense.

Reactions: Carter Hart

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
From May 2019

Sobering......yup pace and space in the playoffs is harder to come by....we see how the zone at times this season has got them standing around and Embiid getting double teamed and stripped. Ben has got to effin shoot! You got Horford out of the paint trying to compensate for Ben's yips and we see how that is going.

What a disaster Fultz being a bust was to this process.….two PG's where teams just ignore them and where in a half court game they are mediocre to complete non factors.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Simmons is avg 11 attempts per 36. While being in the top 12 across the league in minutes played.
.79 PPP on postups (thats bad). Doesnt (and wont) space the floor with 3's or midrange J's.
Feels like you can count the amount of points he's scored on cuts this year on 1 hand.

How does moving him to PF improve his workrate/desire to be a star/hunger to score exactly?
Except as a short term punitive wake up call I dont think it will.
He's not a PF. He's an old school PG. Problem is in this era that's not gonna fly.
Youre primary ballhandler has to be aggressive enough to keep good defenses honest.
Esp in Brown's system which doesnt use many set plays making the reads that much harder.
Giving him the ball was a sound strategy because it highlighted what makes him great with the hope the light would come on as a scorer eventually making his decisionmaking that much more dynamic.

Brown gave him the ball...but then and he gave it right back.

He's a role player in a superstars body at this point.
Its sad because Jimmy was exactly what he and Embiid needed.

Al/Tobi/JRich too quiet, unassuming, not enough production clout to get through to him.
He kinda reminds me of Deron Williams tbh. All the physical talent in the world but a quiet headcase.
Not the Sprewell/Marbury kind that blows up the lockerroom but the brooding, standoffish kind that eats away at a room's morale over years.

Thing is he'll be 23 for the entirety of this season and despite playing the worst ball of his life is still giving you 2nd team All NBA defense and is one of 3 players avg 14/7/8.

Like I said before the season, Brown likely gets fired and then Simmons will have a 3rd straight offseason of memes/soulsearching.
I think its worth waiting on him since youre not going to get the player you want for him (3 tier alpha scoring guard)* with his value this low.

*-One thats actually good. Meaning not D'Angelo Russell or Zach LaVine.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Simmons is avg 11 attempts per 36. While being in the top 12 across the league in minutes played.
.79 PPP on postups (thats bad). Doesnt (and wont) space the floor with 3's or midrange J's.
Feels like you can count the amount of points he's scored on cuts this year on 1 hand.

How does moving him to PF improve his workrate/desire to be a star/hunger to score exactly?
Except as a short term punitive wake up call I dont think it will.
He's not a PF. He's an old school PG. Problem is in this era that's not gonna fly.
Youre primary ballhandler has to be aggressive enough to keep good defenses honest.
Esp in Brown's system which doesnt use many set plays making the reads that much harder.
Giving him the ball was a sound strategy because it highlighted what makes him great with the hope the light would come on as a scorer eventually making his decisionmaking that much more dynamic.

Brown gave him the ball...but then and he gave it right back.

He's a role player in a superstars body at this point.
Its sad because Jimmy was exactly what he and Embiid needed.

Al/Tobi/JRich too quiet, unassuming, not enough production clout to get through to him.
He kinda reminds me of Deron Williams tbh. All the physical talent in the world but a quiet headcase.
Not the Sprewell/Marbury kind that blows up the lockerroom but the brooding, standoffish kind that eats away at a room's morale over years.

Thing is he'll be 23 for the entirety of this season and despite playing the worst ball of his life is still giving you 2nd team All NBA defense and is one of 3 players avg 14/7/8.

Like I said before the season, Brown likely gets fired and then Simmons will have a 3rd straight offseason of memes/soulsearching.
I think its worth waiting on him since youre not going to get the player you want for him (3 tier alpha scoring guard)* with his value this low.

*-One thats actually good. Meaning not D'Angelo Russell or Zach LaVine.

I've been watching basketball for a long time. I remember Walt Frazier and a lot of other "old school" PGs since then. I've never, ever, seen a PG who brings the ball up, passes off, and then goes and sits in the low post. That's not what point guards do, but that's exactly what Simmons does. I don't know if there is a stat for this, but I would love to know how often Simmons gets the ball back after making that initial pass. I would bet it's way, way, less than other PGs, traditional or not. A PG has to be consistently involved in the half court offense. Simmons just isn't.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey everybody let's play Simmons says..

Simmons says.....I'm an All Star (even though I can't shoot)

Who is next?

**And yes I am the originator of this game so don't bogart it...lol

simon%2Bdice.jpeg

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I've been watching basketball for a long time. I remember Walt Frazier and a lot of other "old school" PGs since then. I've never, ever, seen a PG who brings the ball up, passes off, and then goes and sits in the low post. That's not what point guards do, but that's exactly what Simmons does. I don't know if there is a stat for this, but I would love to know how often Simmons gets the ball back after making that initial pass. I would bet it's way, way, less than other PGs, traditional or not. A PG has to be consistently involved in the half court offense. Simmons just isn't.
Understandable. I'll try to explain my reasoning simply.
Simmons plays very afraid in the halfcourt thats absolutely true, and thats the basis of all his problems, but the bring it up pass it off thing is a product of Brown's offensive scheme.

BB's offense is based on dribble handoffs with mostly high action and A LOT of "horn set" type stuff.
Here's examples.

Simmons role as the primary ballhandler is to set the timing of the action with the initial handoff.
The receiver out high then has to survey the court quickly and make an on the fly decison based on defensive positioning.
Non verbally someone has to come to ball off either wing to continue the chain of action and so on and so forth until you get the shot you want.

Simmons problem is, as you noted, he doesnt call for the ball again once the ball is rotated away.
He does not hunt the open space that Brown's offense creates in the paint.

Iso on Simmons on this play:

Simmons begins the action w the handoff then rotates to the weakside.
Brown's offense should work in principle as long as Simmons plays intelligently without fear.
He often does not.

Sixers strength is their size and paint presence but they cant space due to Simmons lack of shooting so Brown manufactures spacing by forcing the defense to rotate out high to cover the wing actions off either side of the foul line.
This play is open for Simmons 10-15 times every game. He rarely makes the correct read though.
Jimmy ****s up the spacing a bit by walking into the paint for some reason but the play is still there.
All Simmons has to do is spin around the smaller man, plant his feet and call for the ball instead he's late and Jo turns it over leading to a loss.

I said 3 years ago when Brown's offense works its great but with young players set plays and set roles are just so important.
Its good in that it gets everyone involved and provides ample space for cutters if theyre willing to take it.
Off ball activity in general has been very bad this year.
Redick was very effective in these.
Tobi settles for the midrange too often off the same actions and like JJ his lack of playmaking vision means he misses 4-5 easy assists per game.
JRich, Al, Kork, Matisse are new to the system and lack the shooting, esp off the dribble, of JJ and Tobi.
Simmons would miss his cues in past years but they would be wiped away impactwise due to shotmaking that isnt there right now.

Would love to see straight PnR Jo+Ben consistently for one ********* game.
Even if Simmons man sags, Jo's man wont and then you'll have (provided Simmons stays aggressive) a wing and a big man trying to coordinate themselves to stop the lob over the top to Jo and Simmons drive at the same time.
Brown calls it so infrequently that you cant even glean anything concrete from the numbers.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't get how Ben is so committed to defending (and an elite defender at that), which takes the most effort. Yet he doesn't want to learn how to shoot? Makes no sense.
I have a theory.

I think he’s someone who cares a lot about his appearance. How he looks, how he dresses, what he drives, how he plays, his reputation, all of that. I think that being a great defensively is something he knows he can do and it makes him look good. Coaches, scouts, teammates, and fans all love it and respect it. Shooting threes is something he’s not good at and he doesn’t have confidence in, so he’s worried that trying and failing will make him look bad or will cause people to lose respect for him.

Obviously I don’t know the guy and - although a Sixers fan - I’m not hardcore into basketball like I am hockey, but I say this based off of my experience with person know who has a similar mentality, albeit in a different competitive activity. Just an idea.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would you trade Simmons for Lowry?

That gives you that PG that can also shoot and take it to the bucket or dish off.

Let the hatred begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->