OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers are Almost done searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I don't understand sacrificing humanity for collecting more wealth. All of these guys (most of the owners and some of the tippy top athletes) are worth some non-neglible fraction of a billion and they're still too afraid to risk their investments by taking an easy peasy ethics position.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't understand sacrificing humanity for collecting more wealth. All of these guys (most of the owners and some of the tippy top athletes) are worth some non-neglible fraction of a billion and they're still too afraid to risk their investments by taking an easy peasy ethics position.

Because they're hypocrites.

Lebron legitimately has a show on HBO where they talk about all of the social injustices in the United States but here he is biting his tongue because it's bad for business.

It shows who he really is.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Because they're hypocrites.

Lebron legitimately has a show on HBO where they talk about all of the social justices in the United States but here he is biting his tongue because it's bad for business.

It shows who he really is.

To be fair, I don't think his highness is as soulless as a corporation. But I feel like he'd have some sense of financial security with his several hundred millions to not be so compelled to act two-faced.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
To be fair, I don't think his highness is as soulless as a corporation. But I feel like he'd have some sense of financial security with his several hundred millions to not be as compelled to act two-faced.

Lebron IS a corporation though.

He was probably the one person that could have stepped up in this situation and made a big difference. More than anyone else and yet here he is being a hypocrite protecting his wallet.

If you listen to the audio of his comment he has the balls to say that Morey only thought about himself and not about the financial, emotional, etc ramifications that come with his free speech. Financial was actually his first word. It's disgusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
The NBA is embarrassing itself more than really any league has done in my lifetime. I didn't think Kap-Gate could be be outdone... China told the NBA to shut up and Dribble and they said "Hold my beer."

Reactions: Striiker and BigToe

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I have a question for the people out there who are defending Lebron (so far no one on here has done so so it's more rhetorical).

They state that what Lebron meant was that since he and other NBA teams were in China at the time of the tweet something could have happened to them in retaliation.

So, uh, doesn't that prove that the Chinese Government is f***ed and not worthy of being defended in any shape or form?

Reactions: Striiker

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The problem with the NBA & Lebron is part of their brands is that they try to charade that they’re somehow different than any other rich/powerful people in this world. When in reality they’re not when you get down to the root of it.

But at the same time like I’m not going to sit here & take a moral ground over them & act like I’m passionate about what’s going on in China myself. I obviously don’t agree with it & think it’s wrong but I don’t really put a whole lot of thought behind it either.

I just ultimately see these guys for what they really are & it what it is. They’re flawed humans just like everybody else (myself included). The only differences is the paths we go to get to that point.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Well, that's the thing, if someone would just admit it "Hey, we are a business first. We support the social movements that don't lose us money." You can't really condemn that level of transparency

But to look down their nose at the NFL and promote themselves as the league that "cares." THEN do this... Yeah, they deserve every bit of the crap they're getting

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
just more fuel on the fire of my hatred for Bron...like China would have had the balls to detain people of that stature in the NBA over a tweet

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well, that's the thing, if someone would just admit it "Hey, we are a business first. We support the social movements that don't lose us money." You can't really condemn that level of transparency

But to look down their nose at the NFL and promote themselves as the league that "cares." THEN do this... Yeah, they deserve every bit of the crap they're getting

Well yeah I’m just saying I’m just laughing at their hypocrisy & the pickle of the situation they put themselves in. But I’m not outraged or anything at their stance or lack there of in this case.

The chaos going on especially now in regards to Lebron as he’s getting killed by his own on twitter right now is an interesting follow.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Well yeah I’m just saying I’m just laughing at their hypocrisy & the pickle of the situation they put themselves in. But I’m not outraged or anything at their stance or lack there of in this case.

The chaos going on especially now in regards to Lebron as he’s getting killed by his own on twitter right now is an interesting follow.

Oh i agree 100%.

The most important thing to remember, is that the NBA changed the term "Owners" to "Governors." So, i mean, they did all they could.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

NCAA gonna NCAA.

I don't get how hockey and baseball players get to operate under a different system from football and basketball.

Hockey & baseball get to be drafted and not lose eligibility.

Hockey players can go to the NHL draft get drafted and be wined and dined all day by the club, but a football player gets taken out for a pizza and gets suspended 4 to 6 games.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't get how hockey and baseball players get to operate under a different system from football and basketball.

Hockey players can go to the NHL draft get drafted and be wined and dined all day by the club, but a football player gets taken out for a pizza and gets suspended 4 to 6 games.

The NCAA makes boatloads of more money off of basketball and football. Can't let the golden goose be tainted!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The league dynamics are ultimately different that go in the NCAA’s favorite. The leagues are ultimately the ones that make the rules on that front anyway. The NBA & NFL make the 1 year & 3 years removed from high school draft rules respectively.

It’s more complex with the NFL than anything though. They don’t want to create their own minor league system. The NCAA schools at the P5 level are dumping a lot money/resources into coaching & strength/conditioning staffs to develop these kids at a level where they can see the field while they physically/mentally mature. So business wise it makes no sense for them & they’re not going to draft a teenager out of high school who’s multiple years away from being a finished product from seeing an NFL if they even ever do. They’re getting kids out college after 3-5 years when at least physically they should be pretty close to their ceiling on that front.

The NFL is essentially getting free development while taking on zero risks. It sounds like the NBA is likely heading towards to getting rid of their draft rule so that should open up some options if they indeed do.

I do agree that tweaks need to be made going forward with how many kids are declaring early for drafts & not even getting drafted. Possibly adding in rule changes where they could possibly come back to school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad