Teemu Selanne Visit Recap

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Selanne-soaks-up-atmosphere-300x200.jpg

The Finnish Flash has played his last official regulation game in Winnipeg, and barring a playoff match-up, has likely seen his last ice time at the MTS Centre. It was a party like atmosphere starting with his arrival and in case you missed anything here is a recap.

For the pictures, videos and audio click here.

Last edited:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Teemu-speaks-300x200.jpg

Everyone was waiting for Teemu Selanne who was mobbed by the media. Had lots to say.

Teemu - Will he soak it up longer this time? Can anything top the reception he received in 2011? Can he play another 5 or 6 years? His thoughts on Don Baizley. Connection to fans (i.e. signing autographs). How does he feel sitting out back-to-backs? How does he feel at 43? Has the scare of an early end to his career ensured he enjoys every day? Fuelled by the fans back in 2011? How did he know this was going to be his last year? Golf promo. Finishing his career where it started. Did Olympics impact his decision to return? One memory that sticks out (breaking Mike Bossy record not surprisingly). Relief to finally announce it was his final year. Who negotiated his last contract? Message to the Winnipeg fans. Is family gonna be here this time? (said no, it's too warm). His documentary. Now that he knows its his final tour, does it feel different? His thoughts on the Jets. Will he return to the city after he retires? Will he stay involved in the game after he retires?

Audio and pictures on site.

To listen click here.

If it was possible to score Jets tickets I would have considered flying back to my home city for this game. I remember having my heart ripped out when he was traded, prior to having my heart ripped out again when the Jets left. I am beyond happy that Winnipeggers have the chance to say goodbye to Teemu, and to give him the sendoff and the love that he deserves.

As a side note, I think the current Jets players stood up to take note of all of the love Teemu got when he was in town a couple of years back. Wpg fans can be tough, but if you give your heart and soul to their team you will get it all back from fans and then some.

Captain Willard

Jan 5, 2012
Karma, 2013, Teemu and the new Jets

It is just spectacular karma to see the Norse god Selanne back for one final show in Winnipeg, I remember watching him in his rookie year in a game against the Leafs, he was phenomenal, I can't remember if he got 2 goals that night I just remember him being a very strong hitter knocking down Jamie Macoun and another big Leaf within seconds of each other because he had taken a hit and he was NOT going to let that go unpunished. To consider that he now has the opportunity to see the great city of Winnipeg back in the NHL and we get to see him just one more time in an NHL uniform, it just has great karma all over it. I wish I could be there tonight to see him this last time in the city because, of course, I suffer greatly from nostalgia I guess. Here's to a great game tonight Flash and to a great career, I hope your final season brings you nothing but good times and great memories, you certainly have earned that much.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
More from Selanne

Teemu-speaks-300x200.jpg

Everyone was waiting for Teemu Selanne who was mobbed by the media. Had lots to say.

Teemu - Will he soak it up longer this time? Can anything top the reception he received in 2011? Can he play another 5 or 6 years? His thoughts on Don Baizley. Connection to fans (i.e. signing autographs). How does he feel sitting out back-to-backs? How does he feel at 43? Has the scare of an early end to his career ensured he enjoys every day? Fuelled by the fans back in 2011? How did he know this was going to be his last year? Golf promo. Finishing his career where it started. Did Olympics impact his decision to return? One memory that sticks out (breaking Mike Bossy record not surprisingly). Relief to finally announce it was his final year. Who negotiated his last contract? Message to the Winnipeg fans. Is family gonna be here this time? (said no, it's too warm). His documentary. Now that he knows its his final tour, does it feel different? His thoughts on the Jets. Will he return to the city after he retires? Will he stay involved in the game after he retires?

Audio and pictures on site.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Selanne-tribute-300x164.jpg

During a TV timeout the Jets gave Teemu Selanne a little shout out and gave the crowd a chance to applaud the Finnish Flash.

For video click here.

Selanne-goodbte-300x159.jpg

Teemu Selanne post-game: His thoughts on the crowd and how did it compare to 2011? Nice to get the win tonight? What was going through his mind during pre-game warm up? What has the city meant to his career? Is this last time we see him as a player? What's his message to the fans? Did he feel his line mates were trying to feed him tonight? Surprised by reception? How did he like getting 1st star? Thoughts on playing with Perry and Getzlaf? ("Bruce likes to change his lines like underwear"). His take on the Jets. Thoughts on Lindholm. Does he keep mementos from the places he visits? Where will the moment rank for him?

As a bonus to our Finnish readers/listeners you can catch Teemu answering some questions in Finnish.

Teemu Selanne (in Finnish) - How did he feel about the game tonight and being back in Winnipeg. Aside from Winnipeg aspect, how did he feel about game in general? What is his fondest memory of Winnipeg? How did fans treat him tonight?

For post-game audio click here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad