Ansar Khan: Teemu Pulkkinen waived (claimed by Wild)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I was/am fairly certain that all moving expenses and timing, etc., are actually spelled out in the CBA. The Wings would pay for his expenses up to the point he was no longer their property. Once the Wild claimed him, he becomes their property.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
I don't know how the conversation with Holland went, but he was the wild's player once they claimed him. I think it is on them to get him set up. The hotel thing is an example of this. It does suck it's like this though.

And the drive from Detroit to Minneapolis is not a good 10 hour drive thru America. Flat and monotonous, except for the traffic.

It's also important to note that this is why players have agents. They know the process and should be able to guide the player through it. And let's not forget, he is making a butt ton of money, paying for the hotel room won't break him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't blame Babcock either Pulks didn't have what it took to play in the NHL. His shot was too telegraphed for the NHL speed and tight quarters. In the AHL he shined because he could get it off and beat AHL goalies. Glad he is having a carrer. He could be an AHL all star but the money of course in the KHL and also I think a lot of clubs have Olympic sized rinks there ?

Anyway he found a career just not in the NHL and its not coaching just his toolbox was limited. At that time we were so used to the Red Wings striking gold we thought he was more than he was.

upload_2020-2-7_13-51-1.png

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I still blame Babcock for ruining him.

I blame Blash.
Pulkkinen was just fine in 15-16.
23 games before he was hurt
6-5-11 +2 with 45 shots in 12:52 a night.

Those are strong numbers at under 13 minutes for a guy who's basically a rookie.

Then he got hurt.
Datsyuk and other players got healthy.
And Blash committed to playing Abdelkader and Helm in the top 6.
We all know how that turned out.

When he returned from injury, he was placed on craptastic 4th line.
From Jan. 17 through the end of the season he played in just 12 games, averaging less than 10 minutes in those games. 0-0-1 +0 20 shots.

Both Blashill and Babcock (beyond 2011 or so) ran terrible 4th lines. Basically a collection of leftovers with zero cohesion.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I blame Blash.
Pulkkinen was just fine in 15-16.
23 games before he was hurt
6-5-11 +2 with 45 shots in 12:52 a night.

Those are strong numbers at under 13 minutes for a guy who's basically a rookie.

Then he got hurt.
Datsyuk and other players got healthy.
And Blash committed to playing Abdelkader and Helm in the top 6.
We all know how that turned out.

When he returned from injury, he was placed on craptastic 4th line.
From Jan. 17 through the end of the season he played in just 12 games, averaging less than 10 minutes in those games. 0-0-1 +0 20 shots.

Both Blashill and Babcock (beyond 2011 or so) ran terrible 4th lines. Basically a collection of leftovers with zero cohesion.
Blashill kept him from cracking the lineup in Arizona and Minnesota?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Blashill kept him from cracking the lineup in Arizona and Minnesota?

Exactly. I think a bad coach can stunt a players development, and I think a good coach can take a player to the next level, but I have a hard time believing that a year with Blashill was the difference between being a top 6 guy or a KHL forward who scores 15-17 goals a year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Exactly. I think a bad coach can stunt a players development, and I think a good coach can take a player to the next level, but I have a hard time believing that a year with Blashill was the difference between being a top 6 guy or a KHL forward who scores 15-17 goals a year.
22 this season and most of that was spent on Minsk. Minsk ain't exactly a powerhouse in the more difficult western conference.

He was a point per game that first season season with Minsk until he trailled off toward the end of the season.

Pulki was always a hot start and tended to trail off as season went on.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

True or false - Pulkkinen looked good in a top 9 role in Detroit for the first 23 games of 15-16.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
True or false - Pulkkinen looked good in a top 9 role in Detroit for the first 23 games of 15-16.

True or false - it takes opposing teams a little while to develop a book on players.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Before I answer, do you mean 15-16 or 14-15? In 15-16 those games were all under Blashill, and I have a feeling that the point you are trying to make is that he looked good under Babs in the first 23 games of 15-16, while he didnt under Blashill. Please clarify.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I don't think his issue was coaching, he's just not up to the rigors of the NHL. Pushed off the puck easily, incapable of board work, rarely won any battles etc., making him unsuitable for a bottom six role (so when he couldn't stick on a scoring line there was nowhere for him to go) -- and these weren't pressure games he was playing either. Not a guy you can go to war with, even though he can shoot the puck like very few.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Before I answer, do you mean 15-16 or 14-15? In 15-16 those games were all under Blashill, and I have a feeling that the point you are trying to make is that he looked good under Babs in the first 23 games of 15-16, while he didnt under Blashill. Please clarify.

15-16, under Blash. He looked good.
For 23 games. Playing in a top 9 role.
11 points in 23 games. Playing 12:52 a night.

Remember the line of Pulkkinen-Larkin-Tatar? They owned for a few games.

And then he got hurt and couldn't get in the lineup, let alone the top 9.

Because we had to play Brad Richards (no future).
We had to play Abdelkader and Helm in the top 6 instead of the bottom 6.

Blashill continued the Babcock insanity.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Would probably still be better than some on the roster we are trotting out at the moment.
Of course, half this team belongs in the AHL and Pulky was an AHL all star so he's basically better than half the team.

At least he tries to shoot, which is somehow an issue with this current team. With Mantha and Zadina out, he'd probably be playing PP1 as a shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->