Ansar Khan: Teemu Pulkkinen waived (claimed by Wild)

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Wouldn't he easily make more money in the khl? Pulks to me is a tweeter type player too good for the ahl not good enough for the NHL. He'd probably score a lot of goals and make money in the khl.

Should've clarified. Was asking about making more money in the AHL as opposed to all of Europe.

He's on a one-way deal worth $812,500 which is tough to match in most places. I guess some of the bigger KHL teams could offer more and the taxes are probably lower too, but many of them are really stacked already. If he were to join Jokerit (his home team) I'm 99% sure he would not make more than his current salary. I think Dinamo Minsk own his KHL rights but those can be traded of course.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's on a one-way deal worth $812,500 which is tough to match in most places. I guess some of the bigger KHL teams could offer more and the taxes are probably lower too, but many of them are really stacked already. If he were to join Jokerit (his home team) I'm 99% sure he would not make more than his current salary. I think Dinamo Minsk own his KHL rights but those can be traded of course.

Yep. Those Minsk KHL-rights will end after this season, he will become KHL "UFA", and then I could bet for sure he joins Jokerit.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well, he cleared. Going down to Iowa. I'm only 50% surprised we didn't reclaim him.

No sense in claiming someone who is going to take ice time away from a true prospect in the AHL. Sucks for Pulks, but he is likely Europe bound when his contract expires. He was a high risk high reward pick that is never going to pan out in the NHL.

It was a fun ride wishing/hoping he'd be an impactful player, but thems the brakes.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Best of luck to Pulkkie. It's sad because a lot of people expected more. I remember watching Jiri Fischer's prospect run down video and getting legitimately hyped.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Best of luck to Pulkkie. It's sad because a lot of people expected more. I remember watching Jiri Fischer's prospect run down video and getting legitimately hyped.

As it turns out Jiri Fischer could get me pumped about anything when you think back on it. It is all of the hand talking that he does and how excited he is.

Fischer really is my favorite front office guy to listen to.

I will also say I wish Draper talked more as he seems to have interesting and often correct takes on younger players.

Oct 18, 2006
Obviously by not claiming him we legitimately feel he doesn't belong in the NHL. If they did and thought with more games under his belt he could regain his scoring touch, they would've claimed him.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Obviously by not claiming him we legitimately feel he doesn't belong in the NHL. If they did and thought with more games under his belt he could regain his scoring touch, they would've claimed him.

or maybe with the emergence of Vanek, Kenny thinks he can fill that spot for the next 3 to 5 years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9264222

Pulkkinen opens the cruelty of waivers in Finnish media:
Although the glamor is a word that is often associated with the world of the NHL, behind the scenes, everyday life is cold business. One and a half years ago, Pulkkinen, 24, was the AHL Top Scorer with high NHL dreams, but injuries at last season did force Helsinki-native's career in North America back to starting point.

Detroit lost their faith for Pulkkinen this fall. A couple of weeks ago Red Wings threw Pulkkinen on the so-called waiver list, where any team can pick the player up during 24 hours.

And if no team does not pick him up, the player drops the club AHL team. When Minnesota Wild grabbed Pulkkinen from transfer list, finn was surprised by how quickly the Red Wings cut the connections between player and the organization.

- It was a harsh time. From there, the GM (Ken Holland) immediately announced that the hotel room deal will end in here and you have to pay the room by yourself from now on. Quite quickly all the ties are broken. They gave me a phone number, and get your affairs in shape with the Wild. Not much help did came from them.

- However, I had not previously experienced such a thing, so I asked, what to do next? GM said that's not our case anymore, call to Minnesota, Pulkkinen continues with a smile.

After Pulkkinen was waived again from Wild...

- I don't know why I was put back there (on waivers). GM (Chuck Fletcher) didn't talk anything about it. This time, however, I was sure no one will take me. Because, I was put there so quickly again. Teams get a little frightened about that, says Pulkkinen.

I first Google translated this and then made some fast corrections. Could have some grammar failures... but the message should be clear. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Geez. I get when a player is no longer on your roster you can't hold their hand through everything, but for a guy like Pulkkinen who has been in the organization so long, you think they could have sat him down for a debriefing on what to do. Help the guy out with the transition?

I'm sure the Minnesota staff walked him through it all, but he didn't know them. Throw the guy a bone, eh?

Reactions: Mijatovic

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Like Jimmy D told the truth... players are still like cattle. :shakehead:

They come and go.

Jussi Jokinen told same kind of experiments in same article about his career. He has been waived three times and traded 2 times. And has scored 122 NHL-goals after his first waivering (by Tampa Bay at 2009).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Always liked Jussi, too.

Thanks for translating, Henkka. I give you the Suomi gold star of excellence! Let us celebrate with a sauna and remember when Nokia was a cellphone powerhouse.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
I don't know how the conversation with Holland went, but he was the wild's player once they claimed him. I think it is on them to get him set up. The hotel thing is an example of this. It does suck it's like this though.

And the drive from Detroit to Minneapolis is not a good 10 hour drive thru America. Flat and monotonous, except for the traffic.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know how the conversation with Holland went, but he was the wild's player once they claimed him. I think it is on them to get him set up. The hotel thing is an example of this. It does suck it's like this though.

And the drive from Detroit to Minneapolis is not a good 10 hour drive thru America. Flat and monotonous, except for the traffic.

I'm not sure if, legally, Detroit can accommodate Pulkkinen once the Wild claimed him. He's no longer their property. The Wild are the ones who are supposed to take over and take care of him. They wanted the player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah while it may seem harsh from the player's perspective I see nothing wrong with it. If Holland says "call this number and they'll get you set up", that should be enough. These are adults and if I get fired from my job I would not expect my boss to talk me through how to get a new job.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
I'm not sure if, legally, Detroit can accommodate Pulkkinen once the Wild claimed him. He's no longer their property. The Wild are the ones who are supposed to take over and take care of him. They wanted the player.

Indeed. It could be seen as collusion. Even if they were just trying to be nice.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You guys aren't wrong, I thought they could answer his questions and give him some advice, right? That's not against the rules.

We're only getting one side of the story, though. Was disappointing to hear he felt quickly abandoned, that's all.

minitrucker83

Apr 2, 2012
I kind of understand it and I very doubt his former teamates wouldnt have gave him a hand or pointed him in the right direction if he called them.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I heard that when pookie went to insert his credit card into the chip reader at the front desk he missed the chip reader wide to the right and his credit card ended up in the parking lot.

lol, that's really cold blooded :laugh:

But that pro sports I guess - at least the waiver system gives NHL players a chance to make it somewhere else (and there are plenty of examples of guys who built their careers elsewhere after being picked up on waivers)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->