Teemu Pulkkinen II: Re-signed 1 year 735k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't, but there are plenty of people that do.

If he was 26 I'd agree, but he started last season as a 21 year-old. Very few players with Detroit rarely make the team that young, if at all. He's got great size, is physical, and has elite puck-handling skills. He clearly wasn't ready for the NHL through an entire season. He should have been sent back down after a few months. Can't for the life of me think why people are so willing to give up on him so quickly.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
If he was 26 I'd agree, but he started last season as a 21 year-old. Very few players with Detroit rarely make the team that young, if at all. He's got great size, is physical, and has elite puck-handling skills. He clearly wasn't ready for the NHL through an entire season. He should have been sent back down after a few months. Can't for the life of me think why people are so willing to give up on him so quickly.

I was talking about Pulkkinen. As a matter of fact, I am definitely not ready to give up on Jurco. I think he has solid second line potential. I personally think he is going to be a better NHLer than Pulkkinen.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
What has lead you to that assumption?

Don't want to speak for Sean3250, but I tend to agree. Better physical attributes (size, skating, etc), better puckhandling skills (when he's not too afraid to actually touch the puck), and less one-dimensional (has shown the ability to play a checking role). Both have similar awareness in the offensive and defensive zones. The only clear advantage for Pulk is that shot. And most importantly, both still have to put it all together at the NHL level. I don't think there's a substantial difference, but I'd still give the edge to Jurco.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What speaks for Jurco is that he already is a decent NHLer. Full time with comparable ice time as last season he is pretty much guaranteed to pot anywhere between 25 and 40 points whilst being quite reliable.

Teemu's goalscorer's touch is more unique though. But it is yet to translate into NHL success.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I was talking about Pulkkinen. As a matter of fact, I am definitely not ready to give up on Jurco. I think he has solid second line potential. I personally think he is going to be a better NHLer than Pulkkinen.

I actually agree for once, haha.

I want to see Jurco play a full season not on the 4th line.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Don't want to speak for Sean3250, but I tend to agree. Better physical attributes (size, skating, etc), better puckhandling skills (when he's not too afraid to actually touch the puck), and less one-dimensional (has shown the ability to play a checking role). Both have similar awareness in the offensive and defensive zones. The only clear advantage for Pulk is that shot. And most importantly, both still have to put it all together at the NHL level. I don't think there's a substantial difference, but I'd still give the edge to Jurco.

All Jurco showed last year was that he can be an NHL-AHL tweener. Glendening had more goals and as many points as him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Pulk didn't show much in his callup either.

Isn't glenny like 4 years older than jurco though?

Yup pretty much, Glendening is 26 years old and Jurco will be 23 years old on Dec 28th.

Pulk also didn't get top 6 minutes like Jurco got for a stretch. On top of that this was his first call up, Jurco had a 36 game call up the season before.

Glenny also has no offensive instincts, Jurco had 3 goals over 63 games, or 1/4th the goals of a guy who literally is called 'stone hands' Luke. Playing similar minutes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldn't say 'pretty damn good' but he definitely looked a lot better in that call up than he did last season. It baffles me why he looked NHL ready one season, but the next season looked lost.

I thought he did. 8 goals in 36 games is pretty good.

I agree, he sophomore slump'd hard.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I wouldn't say 'pretty damn good' but he definitely looked a lot better in that call up than he did last season. It baffles me why he looked NHL ready one season, but the next season looked lost.

I honestly think Babs got to him. IE he started to look bad offensively after he tried that really fancy SO attempt if I remember. I think he got reamed out for it, and told if he doesn't play heavy and stop the fancy stuff he is going down.

As I said before I kind of feel like Babs would have ruined Datsyuk if had gotten a hold of him before he had broken out offensively. I don't feel Tats or Nyquist would be as far a long offensively if he had a choice either. He had no choice but to let them play with all of the injuries.

I think Blash will better know how to utilize some of the young guys. He knows how they play offensively, and is used to relying on them to produce. He is still going to demand good two way play, but I think he'll be more open to them trying stuff.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I honestly think Babs got to him. IE he started to look bad offensively after he tried that really fancy SO attempt if I remember. I think he got reamed out for it, and told if he doesn't play heavy and stop the fancy stuff he is going down.

As I said before I kind of feel like Babs would have ruined Datsyuk if had gotten a hold of him before he had broken out offensively. I don't feel Tats or Nyquist would be as far a long offensively if he had a choice either. He had no choice but to let them play with all of the injuries.

I think Blash will better know how to utilize some of the young guys. He knows how they play offensively, and is used to relying on them to produce. He is still going to demand good two way play, but I think he'll be more open to them trying stuff.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Dude has showed the ability to stickhandle in a phone booth at every level til Babcock put the fear of God into him. Pulk has never shown that. I'm not talking about shot (Pulk wins) or playmaking ability (about equal), but Jurco does have the better hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad