Teddys next contract or...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Probably something like 2-3 years at about $2-$2.5 million or so.

Chandler Stephenson got 4 years at $2.75 million AAV last off-season and I think he's a pretty good comparable for Blueger. Fewer UFA years will bring down the cost from $2.75 million AAV.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Well, a third line center on pace for 12 goals and 40 points in a full 82 game schedule.

I'd say probably 2-3 years and $2M to $3M a season. I'm hoping it's on the former end and not the latter. Obviously not because it saves cap space, but I'm not fully sold on Blueger just yet. I think he's a very capable third line center, I just want to see if he could do it consistently. Two years at $2M a season is plenty fair.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Probably a lot lower than he'd normal get tbh with a flat cap. Can't see him getting over 2.5 mil. Also, Hextall ain't Rutherford when it comes to contracts and neither is Burke.

Thank the hockey gods.

And yeah, it'll be a bridge deal, kind of like 'let me see you do it again before I pony up'.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’d like to see a 3 year 2.75 mil deal. I dont imagine it’ll go below 2.5 mil. I believe he only has 1 RFA year left.

I only like bottom 6 players to get 1-2 year deals but you make exceptions for good centres and maybe a winger if they don’t look out of place in the top 6 as a fill in. By exception I mean 3 years max.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d like to see a 3 year 2.75 mil deal. I dont imagine it’ll go below 2.5 mil. I believe he only has 1 RFA year left.

I only like bottom 6 players to get 1-2 year deals but you make exceptions for good centres and maybe a winger if they don’t look out of place in the top 6 as a fill in. By exception I mean 3 years max.

I didn't realize Blueger was 26. Given that condition, I'd think he'll be looking for some combination of term and dollars that's on the higher end of what's being discussed here or just a one year deal so he can be a UFA.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I didn't realize Blueger was 26. Given that condition, I'd think he'll be looking for some combination of term and dollars that's on the higher end of what's being discussed here or just a one year deal so he can be a UFA.

We don’t have anyone coming through as a C right now and he’s progressed every year slowly. That usually means less risk.

We know he can play against top lines and he’s showing enough skill to play with more offensive players too.

I’d imagine he’s part of Hextall’s plan given how much Sully likes him.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
He is a damn good player and legit 3C IMO. He deserves at least 3M for his current play. But I think Hextall is gonna squeeze it under that, something like 4 x 2.5M. Teddy and Tanev are the backbone of our bottom6. I laugh at people saying that Tanev is overpaid. These are my 2 favourite players together with Sid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We don’t have anyone coming through as a C right now and he’s progressed every year slowly. That usually means less risk.

We know he can play against top lines and he’s showing enough skill to play with more offensive players too.

I’d imagine he’s part of Hextall’s plan given how much Sully likes him.

Whether or not Sullivan is part of Hextall's plan, I'm sure Hextall would like to get a new deal done with Teddy. That's not really the question though. It's what Teddy will want with respect to combination of term and dollars. Given that he's a year from UFA status, I suggested he'll want on the high end of what's being discussed here. Rutherford would've paid that and worried about the cap implications after the fact. I'm not sure Hextall does that or if he opts for a one year deal and sees how things play out.

He is a damn good player and legit 3C IMO. He deserves at least 3M for his current play. But I think Hextall is gonna squeeze it under that, something like 4 x 2.5M. Teddy and Tanev are the backbone of our bottom6. I laugh at people saying that Tanev is overpaid. These are my 2 favourite players together with Sid.

Who knows how much Teddy will be willing to be squeezed as you describe it. He's a year from being a UFA. Maybe he says 4 years, 3.5M per or 1 year deal and I take my chances. As I said, a deal will either be high end of the discussion here in terms of years and dollars or a one year deal if it's too rich for Hextall's blood.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Whether or not Sullivan is part of Hextall's plan, I'm sure Hextall would like to get a new deal done with Teddy. That's not really the question though. It's what Teddy will want with respect to combination of term and dollars. Given that he's a year from UFA status, I suggested he'll want on the high end of what's being discussed here. Rutherford would've paid that and worried about the cap implications after the fact. I'm not sure Hextall does that or if he opts for a one year deal and sees how things play out.

Covid should put a cap on what Teddy realistically wants. Also how happy he is here.

Smart play is probably for Teddy to back himself in in a 2 year, 2-2.5 mil AAV deal. Then the flat cap is over and he can go for a bigger deal. If he keeps getting better he should get paid good 3C money then or potentially a team wants him as a low end 2C.

Reactions: Gurglesons and KIRK

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Who knows how much Teddy will be willing to be squeezed as you describe it. He's a year from being a UFA. Maybe he says 4 years, 3.5M per or 1 year deal and I take my chances. As I said, a deal will either be high end of the discussion here in terms of years and dollars or a one year deal if it's too rich for Hextall's blood.
I don´t know man. To me, Teddy feels like type of the modest guy that is easy to communicate with. Maybe I am wrong, just a feeling that there´s not gonna be some heated discussion with him.

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don´t know man. To me, Teddy feels like type of the modest guy that is easy to communicate with. Maybe I am wrong, just a feeling that there´s not gonna be some heated discussion with him.

The fun thing about Burke is he doesn’t have discussions. He has a pay rate and the player that is an RFA either accepts or doesn’t.

This is what I meant about him being a straight shooter when he signed him.

Reactions: KIRK

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Players don't negotiate contracts, their agents do. So him being modest and his communication skills are irrelevant

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
He's a late bloomer, but he is 26 and not going to get a lot more opportunities to get a big deal. Assuming he doesn't get a good deal with term (and as much as I love him I echo the thought of not wanting to sign bottom 6 guys to longer than 3 year deals anymore), I'd imagine he'd take a one year bridge deal so he's a UFA.

Covid should put a cap on what Teddy realistically wants. Also how happy he is here.

Smart play is probably for Teddy to back himself in in a 2 year, 2-2.5 mil AAV deal. Then the flat cap is over and he can go for a bigger deal. If he keeps getting better he should get paid good 3C money then or potentially a team wants him as a low end 2C.
I'd be pretty surprised if a team wants him as a low end 2C unless he takes another big step this year or next. Here's hoping he does, though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd like to see him at the McCann bridge level - 2-3yrs @ 1.9-2mil

That said, depends who else we pick up between now and then. I don't think he's earned a significant raise. I might balk at $3-3.5mil. I don't think he's at the Rust or Kapanen level of impact at the moment but that could change.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Probably a lot lower than he'd normal get tbh with a flat cap. Can't see him getting over 2.5 mil. Also, Hextall ain't Rutherford when it comes to contracts and neither is Burke.
You mean not overpaying every free agent by 20% to say thanks?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
He's a late bloomer, but he is 26 and not going to get a lot more opportunities to get a big deal. Assuming he doesn't get a good deal with term (and as much as I love him I echo the thought of not wanting to sign bottom 6 guys to longer than 3 year deals anymore), I'd imagine he'd take a one year bridge deal so he's a UFA.

I'd be pretty surprised if a team wants him as a low end 2C unless he takes another big step this year or next. Here's hoping he does, though.

Remember that a 1 year deal does take him to UFA but also the flat cap is in for 1 more year. Although a GM can take that into consideration with term but sometimes GM’s don’t think far enough in the future :laugh:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he became a low end 2C. I wouldn’t bet on it either.

He sort of has the ‘Bryan Rust’ about him in terms of improving each season. I think most people thought Rust would top out as a 3rd liner or maybe just a good 4th liner but he gets better every season (except that down year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad