Recalled/Assigned: Teddy Blueger Blue, You're My Goat, 2nd Fiddle To Nobody! thread

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for grabbing that quote!

Remember though that most NHL squads are planning around injuries happening and opening the pathway to young players. Just because they don't promote a young guy immediately doesn't mean they don't plan on him being there - the planned pathway is frequently being first man up when injuries strike. And that's what happened with Blueger. They moved a player so he could be first guy up.

Except JR and others on this board told us that Blueger couldn't be here because he was a center. They finally call him up and after a game, he gets switched to wing and has excelled. Roster space I buy and moving Grant helped that, but the positional argument was always garbage.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Except JR and others on this board told us that Blueger couldn't be here because he was a center. They finally call him up and after a game, he gets switched to wing and has excelled. Roster space I buy and moving Grant helped that, but the positional argument was always garbage.

*coughs* As someone who made that point from time to time I always suspected that he probably would be able to play W if given a chance, but respected the fact that the management are closer and have better information.

And also, right or wrong, if Rutherford has a belief about what someone can and can't do that will shape opportunities. Rutherford was wrong to believe Baby Blue was a C only, but I think those arguing that the org wouldn't make moves to promote him due to him being a C were right. If that makes sense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
*coughs* As someone who made that point from time to time I always suspected that he probably would be able to play W if given a chance, but respected the fact that the management are closer and have better information.

And also, right or wrong, if Rutherford has a belief about what someone can and can't do that will shape opportunities. Rutherford was wrong to believe Baby Blue was a C only, but I think those arguing that the org wouldn't make moves to promote him due to him being a C were right. If that makes sense.

But as soon as he came up, Sully said he can play wing. It was just weird. I'm not all that worked up about it though because he's here now and playing. Maybe he helps you grab an extra win had he been here earlier, but that's a really hard thing to quantify.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But as soon as he came up, Sully said he can play wing. It was just weird. I'm not all that worked up about it though because he's here now and playing. Maybe he helps you grab an extra win had he been here earlier, but that's a really hard thing to quantify.

No argument there about the weirdness of it. I'd give a lot to have heard the meetings where they discussed calling him up - particularly to hear what Guerin had to say.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

If he was up from the start of the season, I highly suspect JR isn’t looking around and using assets for another third center.

However, I think him getting inadvertently screwed has become a blessing for him. He’s showing he can play wing (duh) to the powers that be. Now he has a chance to be a top six wing at some point, which is where I believe he can help this team the most.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Recalled on an emergency basis

By claiming emergency they get to ignore salary cap, right?

How long is that good for/why call him up today vs Friday morning if there IS a limit on how long emergency call-up status lasts?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Let’s wait to criticize them about things that have yet to happen..
This has been happening all season, so it's reasonable to expect again.

Blueger played a solid 200 foot game and scored some timely goals for us that got us points. Yet, he was demoted. He's only here again by default due to injuries.

Sullivan doesn't follow his own principles he preaches to the media. He used to when he first came here. These days if you have a bigger price tag you play, regardless of how poor you are. It'll be the same with Gudbranson, very likely.

Wait and see. He will play because he makes 4 million and he's signed long term. Even if he's the worst defenseman out there he will stay in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
By claiming emergency they get to ignore salary cap, right?

How long is that good for/why call him up today vs Friday morning if there IS a limit on how long emergency call-up status lasts?

I think the key thing here is it doesn't count as one of the 4 call-ups they have between now and the end of the season. And emergency call-ups end the moment the team can field a full roster again.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the key thing here is it doesn't count as one of the 4 call-ups they have between now and the end of the season. And emergency call-ups end the moment the team can field a full roster again.

Emergency call up usually lasts until the injured player is back, but the old CBA had a ten day rule if I recall, that said he would convert to a regular.

I don’t know the new CBA as well or if that rule carried over. However, for it to be an emergency call up the team has to have less than two goalies, six blueliners and 12 F.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Emergency call up usually lasts until the injured player is back, but the old CBA had a ten day rule if I recall, that said he would convert to a regular.

I don’t know the new CBA as well or if that rule carried over. However, for it to be an emergency call up the team has to have less than two goalies, six blueliners and 12 F.

Ah thanks. Makes sense why they'd wait if that is the case.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Ah thanks. Makes sense why they'd wait if that is the case.

Ya, no idea about the ten day rule... ie if it still exists.

They had 11 fwds when Rust went down, so it makes sense to use the emergency recall and save the other four recalls. The way things are going they will need them.

So basically I think this was more about preserving their allotted post-deadline call ups, than done because of cap implications. Putting Rust on IR would alleviate that problem, as he makes way more than TB.

Edit: This explains how it works for emergency recalls:

Understanding Emergency Recall vs Regular Recall

So my mind was a little hazy... it’s ten games, not ten days, then it reverts to a regular recall.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Bloogs has 3 more career points than Wilson in 60% less games played.

And they've TRIED to shoehorn Wilson into good positions in the past. So no way to complain that Bloog got favorable second line centering roll recently. Lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Teddy’s progression at the NHL this year is a perfect example of how seasoning in the AHL does not hurt progression in terms of development.

Also, I think he is a much more impactful player at center than wing. His zone entries, and support behind the F1 has been remarkable. Especially considering how much Kessel cheats and quits on pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->