Recalled/Assigned: Teddy Blueger Blue, You're My Goat, 2nd Fiddle To Nobody! thread

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
Thought it could be nice to have a thread for Teddy Blues to discuss his performance and place in the team for the next (?) games.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see his debut game but from what I've heard he did alright for the ice time he got? Apparently Sullivan said, going forward he'd like to see Teddy on the PK.

uU07Pa4.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He is gonna have to try really hard to get on the good list with HCMS. If his ability to PK translates to the NHL, it might be his best chance.

6mins a night won't see him showcase much offensive potential.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He is gonna have to try really hard to get on the good list with HCMS. If his ability to PK translates to the NHL, it might be his best chance.

6mins a night won't see him showcase much offensive potential.

Why? If anything, his reliable 2-way style is going to make him get on Sullivan's good list extremely easily. Blueger is a very safe player, I don't know why you think he will have a tough time getting on Sullivan's good side. Every coach loves responsible defensive players.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Why? If anything, his reliable 2-way style is going to make him get on Sullivan's good list extremely easily. Blueger is a very safe player, I don't know why you think he will have a tough time getting on Sullivan's good side. Every coach loves responsible defensive players.

You cant be much of a 2 way player if you are out there for 6mins and on the PK. I'm just saying, his offensive potential is going to have to take a backseat to smart defensive hockey in small chunks. He isn't likely to get shot up the roster very quickly like a Simon/Sheary/ZAR, might have been

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lets just take this a day at a time. ZAR started with a 6 minute night, Simon's first spell in the NHL capped out at 7:55 as highest and was 3:30 at lowest, Rust started out with a 6 minute night. Dea started at 11 minutes and then got 6-7 minutes at best from there on out here. There's nothing unusual or destiny defining about his first night being that low.

Every game is a chance for Bluegers to prove he can be trusted more and he'll have to work hard every game, same with every young player. We'll find out how much Sully likes him in time.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah they were playing the best team in the league and special teams took over a decent chunk of the game. He's a Sully type of player and I think he'll be shown more responsibility in his coming games

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lets just take this a day at a time. ZAR started with a 6 minute night, Simon's first spell in the NHL capped out at 7:55 as highest and was 3:30 at lowest, Rust started out with a 6 minute night. Dea started at 11 minutes and then got 6-7 minutes at best from there on out here. There's nothing unusual or destiny defining about his first night being that low.

Every game is a chance for Bluegers to prove he can be trusted more and he'll have to work hard every game, same with every young player. We'll find out how much Sully likes him in time.

The really interesting thing is that Sullivan and JR are talking about Blueger as if he's here to stay (assuming he performs), not just "he's here because of injuries". It's going to be hard to find a roster spot for him if they acquire a 3C, but it really sounds like they really like Blueger and think he should be here. With Cullen performing well as the 4C, I can't see how he gets into the lineup though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The really interesting thing is that Sullivan and JR are talking about Blueger as if he's here to stay (assuming he performs), not just "he's here because of injuries". It's going to be hard to find a roster spot for him if they acquire a 3C, but it really sounds like they really like Blueger and think he should be here. With Cullen performing well as the 4C, I can't see how he gets into the lineup though.

Its a fascinating puzzle at this stage. The most likely outcomes seem to be that they'll either trade Brassard without acquiring a 3C, giving the job to whoever wins the audition out of Cullen/Sheahan/Blueger (currently Cullen), or we'll discover Blueger can play wing after all... but who knows. Maybe they think he's ready enough that he can hang as 13th forward without spoiling his development anymore. So many possible answers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Its a fascinating puzzle at this stage. The most likely outcomes seem to be that they'll either trade Brassard without acquiring a 3C, giving the job to whoever wins the audition out of Cullen/Sheahan/Blueger (currently Cullen), or we'll discover Blueger can play wing after all... but who knows. Maybe they think he's ready enough that he can hang as 13th forward without spoiling his development anymore. So many possible answers.

I think this is the most likely outcome tbh, with him getting sent down for a few games if he has been sitting for too long. He's not exactly a super high upside player, he's been in the AHL for 3 years already and is already 24. I also don't even know that losing 2-3 months of AHL games to be a 13th forward in the NHL would "spoil" his development in the first place.

Maybe they give guys like Cullen, Brassard and maybe even Malkin a night off here and there to get Blueger in (I could see Malkin getting a night off if they keep Brassard), but I mostly think he'll be used as a 13th forward who gets in for injuries to centers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought he was fine last night, although not much opportunity. I liked the snarl in his game.

We just need to give it some time. This was his first NHL game without any practices and against the best team in the league. Every coach would limit his ice time in that situation.

Reactions: Giskard

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
First NHL game against the best team in the league after no practices? Can't say I expected anything but 6 minutes last night. The good news is he played more than Wilson.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thought it could be nice to have a thread for Teddy Blues to discuss his performance and place in the team for the next (?) games.
Unfortunately I didn't get to see his debut game but from what I've heard he did alright for the ice time he got? Apparently Sullivan said, going forward he'd like to see Teddy on the PK.

I just noticed your username That’s awesome. Guys a legend.

Reactions: AndrewGaze

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I liked how he was always on the right side of the puck clogging things up. He looks like one of those guys who is a pain in the ass to play against. Hopefully he gets more minutes next game.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Did everyone see this? Not to read too much into one quote but it certainly sounds like Sullivan has every intention of giving him a fair shake

I see this slotting him in as a 4th line C since that's what he'll be counted on for. Defensive work 5 on 5/PK. The bonus moving up further will be a shift by shift earned commodity.

Expecting anything more would just be asking too much. If Riley/Cullen can split duties as the 3c could be instrumental to keeping him up.

Getting ZAR back would hurt that, though, and if they add any forwards for that matter.

I didn't particularly pay much attention to him last night, but my stance is next season the doors should be wide open for him to be a regular.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I see this slotting him in as a 4th line C since that's what he'll be counted on for. Defensive work 5 on 5/PK. The bonus moving up further will be a shift by shift earned commodity.

Expecting anything more would just be asking too much. If Riley/Cullen can split duties as the 3c could be instrumental to keeping him up.

Getting ZAR back would hurt that, though, and if they add any forwards for that matter.

I didn't particularly pay much attention to him last night, but my stance is next season the doors should be wide open for him to be a regular.

I don't see Blueger playing in the playoffs. One, they'll add someone, who will push someone like Simon down. Two, ZAR will return, and he's EARNED it. Three, Wilson will play before Blueger because Blueger isn't vanilla enough to play 4th line wing.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't see Blueger playing in the playoffs. One, they'll add someone, who will push someone like Simon down. Two, ZAR will return, and he's EARNED it. Three, Wilson will play before Blueger because Blueger isn't vanilla enough to play 4th line wing.

Neither do I, but they do have time to see where he fits in for the future. Bide some time until Schultz gets off LTIR.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Where he fits in the future is at 4C, in about 5 years, when Cullen finally retires.

EDIT: I was going to add a sarcasm emoji, but I'm not sure if that actually is sarcastic.
I think you meant to type "2C" when Geno bolts to the KHL.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh, I still say 3rd pair RHS RD is where to spend the asset(s).

Whether that be Brassard/the assets brought in for him.

The Pens should be able to add a forward without the heavy cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad