OT: Ted Nolan gets diabetes wake-up call

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.saultstar.com/2015/09/28/ted-nolan-gets-diabetes-wake-up-call

"For Ted Nolan, finding out he had Type 2 diabetes was a wake up call that he needed to get back to a healthy lifestyle.

The longtime NHL player and coach said receiving his diagnosis three months ago was “shocking.â€

“It floored me for a while. I was very upset,†he said.

His brother passed away from complications related to the disease eight years ago, and several members of his family have also been diagnosed with the disease. Still, Nolan said it was not until his own diagnosis that he realized how much of an impact your lifestyle can have on your health.

“With myself, being a professional athlete, I didn't realize how naive I was about proper nutrition, stress levels and how that can affect you, lack of exercise, your family's genes - all those types of things. So when I was diagnosed, in one way it kind of saved me a little bit,†he said.

“I was going down a very unhealthy eating path. So I cleaned up.â€

Nolan, who is originally from Garden River, was in Sault Ste. Marie Sunday as a guest speaker at the Diabetes & Healthy Living Expo hosted by the Canadian Diabetes Association. The event featured many services and vendors located within the area that can help residents maintain a healthy lifestyle, as well as information and tools for diabetes prevention and management.

After he was diagnosed, Nolan said he hunkered down to research how to deal with the disease. He’s since lost 30 pounds, and says he’s in a much healthier place.

“It was just about making healthy choices. It's about going for that walk, it's about eating properly, it's about choices,†he said.

Janie Bringleson, Sault Ste. Marie branch coordinator for the Canadian Diabetes Association, said Sunday’s event was organized to give people a chance to learn more about healthy living programs in Sault Ste. Marie that can help people both prevent and manage diabetes better.

“About 90% of people who have diabetes have Type 2. About 40% of those people are largely diagnosed because they live a lifestyle that's not conducive to healthy living and physical activity. So they can reverse, not the prognosis, but reverse the start of diabetes by becoming more physically active and changing their dietary habits,†she said.

“For people with Type 1, it's not their fault. Their pancreas just doesn't work properly, but the management is still exactly the same. So the emphasis is on healthy living, whether you have diabetes or not, but what to do if you do have diabetes.â€

Currently over 12,000 people in Sault Ste. Marie are living with diabetes."

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
http://www.saultstar.com/2015/09/28/ted-nolan-gets-diabetes-wake-up-call

"For Ted Nolan, finding out he had Type 2 diabetes was a wake up call that he needed to get back to a healthy lifestyle.

The longtime NHL player and coach said receiving his diagnosis three months ago was “shocking.â€

“It floored me for a while. I was very upset,†he said.

His brother passed away from complications related to the disease eight years ago, and several members of his family have also been diagnosed with the disease. Still, Nolan said it was not until his own diagnosis that he realized how much of an impact your lifestyle can have on your health.

“With myself, being a professional athlete, I didn't realize how naive I was about proper nutrition, stress levels and how that can affect you, lack of exercise, your family's genes - all those types of things. So when I was diagnosed, in one way it kind of saved me a little bit,†he said.

“I was going down a very unhealthy eating path. So I cleaned up.â€

Nolan, who is originally from Garden River, was in Sault Ste. Marie Sunday as a guest speaker at the Diabetes & Healthy Living Expo hosted by the Canadian Diabetes Association. The event featured many services and vendors located within the area that can help residents maintain a healthy lifestyle, as well as information and tools for diabetes prevention and management.

After he was diagnosed, Nolan said he hunkered down to research how to deal with the disease. He’s since lost 30 pounds, and says he’s in a much healthier place.

“It was just about making healthy choices. It's about going for that walk, it's about eating properly, it's about choices,†he said.

Janie Bringleson, Sault Ste. Marie branch coordinator for the Canadian Diabetes Association, said Sunday’s event was organized to give people a chance to learn more about healthy living programs in Sault Ste. Marie that can help people both prevent and manage diabetes better.

“About 90% of people who have diabetes have Type 2. About 40% of those people are largely diagnosed because they live a lifestyle that's not conducive to healthy living and physical activity. So they can reverse, not the prognosis, but reverse the start of diabetes by becoming more physically active and changing their dietary habits,†she said.

“For people with Type 1, it's not their fault. Their pancreas just doesn't work properly, but the management is still exactly the same. So the emphasis is on healthy living, whether you have diabetes or not, but what to do if you do have diabetes.â€

Currently over 12,000 people in Sault Ste. Marie are living with diabetes."

I hope he's okay. I hated him for awhile. I guess getting fired maybe saved his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad