Ted Leonsis: We will do everything to help Ovi to beat Gretzky's goals record

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Translation of Washington Capitals' owner Ted Leonsis' reaction to Ovechkin's 5 year extension deal taken from Official Ru version of NHL.com: "We will do everything to help Ovi to become first (in goals), cause if that happens it will be important not only for him but for our fans too who love him, for our franchise and the whole league after all! I used to think it's impossible to break Gretky's records. But now I think it's more & more realistic (achievable). If Alex is healthy then he can achieve it. Imagine, such a way to finish his career!".

Source: Овечкин: "Хотел контракт на три года. Клуб сказал: Надо пять!"

I tried my best in translating guys, sorry if I made some mistakes ;)

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Can Ted go back in time and allow Ovi to play the seasons that were lost to lockouts or work stoppages? Barring that, I doubt Ovechkins body will be able to keep up for as long as it would take to pass the great one.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
latest

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Translation of Washington Capitals' owner Ted Leonsis' reaction to Ovechkin's 5 year extension deal taken from Official Ru version of NHL.com: "We will do everything to help Ovi to become first (in goals), cause if that happens it will be important not only for him but for our fans too who love him, for our franchise and the whole league after all! I used to think it's impossible to break Gretky's records. But now I think it's more & more realistic (achievable). If Alex is healthy then he can achieve it. Imagine, such a way to finish his career!".

Source: Овечкин: "Хотел контракт на три года. Клуб сказал: Надо пять!"

I tried my best in translating guys, sorry if I made some mistakes ;)

… then trade him to the Oilers so he can play with McDavid. :naughty:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Will be comical to watch Ovechkin hunt goals at his last seasons when Washington will be similar team as Buffalo has been last seasons but theyr only mission is to get Ovechkin goal's who by then will be like worst player in NHL..
The rebuild was going to come eventually. Why not witness a record nobody ever thought would be broken while it happens?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Can Ted go back in time and allow Ovi to play the seasons that were lost to lockouts or work stoppages? Barring that, I doubt Ovechkins body will be able to keep up for as long as it would take to pass the great one.
He will pass Gretzky.

Will he do it in as many games? Will he do it the same age or younger?

I am not sure.

But chasing a record is always the better position to be in than the record-holder.

Because Ovechkin can simply just keep playing until he breaks it.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The rebuild was going to come eventually. Why not witness a record nobody ever thought would be broken while it happens?
Gretzky's goal record was always one of his most vulnerable records to being broken, because he really slowed down in goals scored from about age 33 onwards.

A healthy Lemieux or a healthy Bossy, and Gretzky probably doesn't even have the record. Unless he played until he was 41-42 just so he could solidify it.

Both Lemieux and Bossy were scoring at 50+ goal paces into their 30s, even though both of them had backs that were basically broken.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Will be comical to watch Ovechkin hunt goals at his last seasons when Washington will be similar team as Buffalo has been last seasons but theyr only mission is to get Ovechkin goal's who by then will be like worst player in NHL..

Sounds like the ‘94 Kings.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Gretzky's goal record was always one of his most vulnerable records to being broken, because he really slowed down in goals scored from about age 33 onwards.

A healthy Lemieux or a healthy Bossy, and Gretzky probably doesn't even have the record. Unless he played until he was 41-42 just so he could solidify it.

Both Lemieux and Bossy were scoring at 50+ goal paces into their 30s, even though both of them had backs that were basically broken.
OK….and these are all players who played generations ago…and they didn’t break the record. Your whole statement has a lot of IFs. That’s why breaking the record is so hard. You have to be elite and have amazing longevity.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Obviously we will do everything to help Ovi break the record means rigging games

Reactions: SeanConn

Olddays73

Jul 16, 2021

Bossy did not play in his 30's.
As for Mario, he retired at 31. Then only had one year of 50+ goal pace after he returned.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Expert

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
He will pass Gretzky.

Will he do it in as many games? Will he do it the same age or younger?

I am not sure.

But chasing a record is always the better position to be in than the record-holder.

Because Ovechkin can simply just keep playing until he breaks it.
Pretty sure Ovi won't do it by the time he's 38.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
OV will be well over 1600 games barring no injuries in 5 years. At some point it gets rather embarrassing trying to chase a record when you play 120 so games more then the guy your chasing.

It will be fun though. Remember * people think it will be easy for OV. It won't be. As he inches closer the grip gets tighter, the body gets slower. The pressure gets amped up. Can a 40 plus year old OV get it done ?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad