Movies: Ted Bundy: Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
It seems, there will be another Ted Bundy movie.

portada-zac-758x379.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Love Efron as a casting decision to play Bundy. We'll see how it turns out.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Honestly, it was average for me. I'd give it a 6/10.

I much preferred something like "The Ted Bundy Tapes". But I watched them around the same time, so that could be why I didn't care for the movie as much.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Is it just me or can you really tell the difference in quality between a Netflix original film and a theatrical one?
Yeah.

Netflix Originals are much better that a TV movie but not up to a theater release - altho, they do sometimes release their movies in the theater.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thought it was very average aside from Efron's excellent portrayal.

Is it just me or can you really tell the difference in quality between a Netflix original film and a theatrical one?
It can feel that way but I'm not sure how much of this is just due to inherent bias due to Netflix's poor track record for movies. Seems like people go into watching a Netflix movie saying, "Ugh... Netflix." Looking through their filmography, the exceptions that stand out are:

Beasts of No Nation
Okja
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Roma

I have not seen this movie yet BTW.

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I found this one really unsatisfying.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

You pretty much know from the outset that Bundy is a terrible human being. There is no slow burn, or gradual realization to the film. Just a series of mostly sequential events. The movie never really explores Bundy's ability to charm and coerce his victims and mainly focuses on his family and a girl that it obsessed with him (never shows why she is obsessed with him). I enjoyed most of the courtroom scenes, and thought Efron and Malkovich had a great chemistry.

One review I read really nailed the issues I had with it: Naming the picture Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile and then having nothing wicked, vile, or evil present in the movie just seems like it didn't capture what it promised, and I think Zac Efron could have done a great job if the let him portray the darker side of the character.

Reactions: TP

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It can feel that way but I'm not sure how much of this is just due to inherent bias due to Netflix's poor track record for movies. Seems like people go into watching a Netflix movie saying, "Ugh... Netflix." Looking through their filmography, the exceptions that stand out are:

Beasts of No Nation
Okja
Roma

Good point.

We would probably have to see everything on the big screen to tell.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I found this one really unsatisfying.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

You pretty much know from the outset that Bundy is a terrible human being. There is no slow burn, or gradual realization to the film. Just a series of mostly sequential events. The movie never really explores Bundy's ability to charm and coerce his victims and mainly focuses on his family and a girl that it obsessed with him (never shows why she is obsessed with him). I enjoyed most of the courtroom scenes, and thought Efron and Malkovich had a great chemistry.

One review I read really nailed the issues I had with it: Naming the picture Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile and then having nothing wicked, vile, or evil present in the movie just seems like it didn't capture what it promised, and I think Zac Efron could have done a great job if the let him portray the darker side of the character.
Anyone remember the TV movie with Mark Harmon?...

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Beasts of No Nation
Okja
Roma

That was brutal.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I think that it's mostly our imagination. When watching a Netflix original film, it's easy to chalk anything that we feel could've been better about it up to it being from Netflix, but theatrical films are loaded with things that could've been better, as well. There are also countless bad movies that hit theaters, but, when one comes from Netflix, it can confirm these feelings.

I've watched several Netflix original films and all of them were good enough to be at least average theatrical films. They were all produced for $10-50M, which is the low end for theatrical films, but still in the range. We can't expect a $25M film to entertain us in the same way as a $150M film might. If you compare Netflix's movies to theatrical movies with similarly low budgets, though, they stack up pretty well, I think.

BTW, the best Netflix film that I've seen is The Highwaymen (with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson). That had a $50M budget, a slew of recognizable faces, a good script and great production values. Everything about it was theatrical quality, IMO.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I watched it but, this movie is misleading. It barely covers any of the extremely wicked and vile things Ted does, but delves deeply into his relationship which was not what I was tuning in for. By not really exposing the depths of his depravity, it leads you to believe he was just your run of the mill serial killer. This film does go hand in hand with the recent multi part doc they released on him.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I think that it's mostly our imagination. When watching a Netflix original film, it's easy to chalk anything that we feel could've been better about it up to it being from Netflix, but theatrical films are loaded with things that could've been better, as well. There are also countless bad movies that hit theaters, but, when one comes from Netflix, it can confirm these feelings.

I've watched several Netflix original films and all of them were good enough to be at least average theatrical films. They were all produced for $10-50M, which is the low end for theatrical films, but still in the range. We can't expect a $25M film to entertain us in the same way as a $150M film might. If you compare Netflix's movies to theatrical movies with similarly low budgets, though, they stack up pretty well, I think.

BTW, the best Netflix film that I've seen is The Highwaymen (with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson). That had a $50M budget, a slew of recognizable faces, a good script and great production values. Everything about it was theatrical quality, IMO.

That could be true, too. I think Netflix does a great job with it TV series' and some of their films arent that bad either. It just seems to be their "popcorn" movies like Bright and Bird Box that struggle. But I do agree about the possoble stigma of it being an online movie. When Lillyhammer was released in 2012 I was overwhelmed by the idea of what is essentially a website releasing a TV Series.

Beasts of No Nation
Okja
Roma

Forgot about Beasts, that was a good one for sure. Haven't seen the others yet.

Yeah.

Netflix Originals are much better that a TV movie but not up to a theater release - altho, they do sometimes release their movies in the theater.

It's true, Netflix is definitely a step above Lifetime and Hallmark for films.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That could be true, too. I think Netflix does a great job with it TV series' and some of their films arent that bad either. It just seems to be their "popcorn" movies like Bright and Bird Box that struggle. But I do agree about the possoble stigma of it being an online movie. When Lillyhammer was released in 2012 I was overwhelmed by the idea of what is essentially a website releasing a TV Series.

I haven't seen Bright, but I thought that Bird Box was pretty decent and of theatrical quality, especially for the genre. It could've been better in a few ways, but that's the case with nearly every theatrical horror films, as well. Heck, the general reaction to Bird Box, as lukewarm as it was, was probably better than what half of all theatrically released horror films receive. When you consider how many mediocre horror films make it into theaters, it was fine, IMO.

Edit: I watched Bright last night. That, too, was pretty decent and of theatrical quality, IMO.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
That was brutal.
I wasn't a big fan, but it didn't feel like a "Netflix movie". Huge name directors that did not need to go the Netflix route. Same goes for Okja and Roma, and to an extent Beasts of No Nation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad