Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

Lmfao, seems like the likely outcome. Scanners style head explosion:yo:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
You guys realize that a training regiment for one guy might not be the right one for another guy, right? Kind of sick of hearing about Gary Roberts as if he's the only personal trainer with any credibility.

Words have meaning.

Agree. I think Myers turns around with a combination of a new coach, letting him play his natural game, and a sound off-season strength and conditioning program.

Didn't mention Gary Roberts, or his off-season program, once.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
You guys realize that a training regiment for one guy might not be the right one for another guy, right? Kind of sick of hearing about Gary Roberts as if he's the only personal trainer with any credibility.

Was there a point in there somewhere?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Was there a point in there somewhere?

It was that there are other trainers on the planet, in case you didn't realize :D nice job stokes!

God forbid you point out a trainer or a regimen that has concrete, proven results in this particular sport with these particular kinds of athletes :sarcasm:

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
How legit is this option? I have talked to friends about this a lot...

Well he's running a pretty successful business training elite athletes. Would he want to leave that to be a strength and conditioning coach? He'd probably view it as a step back. Despite his reputation there are probably others who are just as qualified.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The point is that in Ruff's firing, Pegula has clearly demonstrated that he will fire (or allow to be fired) people in the hockey department, so pointing to that quote and saying "See? He's not going to can anyone!" is silly.

I actually think firing Ruff is further proof Regier isn't getting fired. If you didn't like Regier, why wouldn't you fire both at the same time?

I thought they were a packaged deal. We found out they are not.

There were several reports suggesting that Regier may have been given an ultimatum on Ruff - either fire him or Regier would be let go with Ruff. Who really knows but I think the two were a packaged deal and that common business sense is that it's easier for coaches to take over mid-season than it is for a GM that has to oversee everything. I'm still hopeful that Regier doesn't have a free pass forever.

So now, does anyone think that this may increase/decrease the chance of Patrick Roy as the next coach?

The Grigorenko connection will be a compelling factor - and Roy's success with junior-level kids is going to neutralize any sales pitch associated with Rolston's "teaching" method of coaching. If the players on the ice will end up being mostly kids trying to establish themselves as NHL stars one day, there may be some marketing appear to a fiery coach like Roy with a household name in the NHL.

However, whether a pacifist like Regier would be willing to take on someone that could challenge and argue with him is a mystery. I think the WGR commentaries recently of how much Regier and Rolston resemble each other (in style, demeanor and appearance) are noteworthy.

I think the coaching position will now come down to Roy, Eakins, and Rolston with an outside shot

I wonder if Regier would consider James Patrick as an option and even another former assistant coach he knows: Mike Ramsey. According to Bucky's recent column, Ramsey's motive for returning to Minnesota was centered on seeing his kids grow up but his son is apparently in college now.

Trusting Darcy with a rebuild is nuts.

Normally, I don't like Howard Simon's sensationalism or softball-style interviews but I give him full marks for confronting Black on the Regier situation. When Simon asked Black to confirm that the the man, who previously built a failed team's foundation, is being asked to now build a new one, Black said "yes" - to which Simon right away asked, "why?".

I wasn't impressed with Black's attempt at humility in saying, "everyone makes mistakes, including me. No one's perfect, yada, yada...."

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Maybe we should explain to Doug Mckenney why he isn't qualified for his job based on some fluff articles.

People will disagree with you because most of your arguments are different than the norm, but I am going to agree with you here.

Tyler Myers trains with the likes of Shea Weber, Jarome Iginla ect..

Gary Roberts is no different than what other personal trainers do with their group of players the only difference is that Roberts is based out of the hockey mecca of the world, is a ex NHL player with a very good career, and gets alot of hype. Whether Stamkos, Hodgson, Neal or Skinner work out with Roberts, Tavares trainer, Crosby trainer or Doug McKenney they will all have great results if you put the work in. Its not like Roberts is doing stuff what is revolutionary

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
While I don't believe there's a chance in hell of Roberts ditching his own personal business to work for 1 hockey team I do think it would be reasonable to hire him to do the prospect camps. Show the kids what will be expected of them off ice if they want to succeed with a person who did succeed training them. I think Pegula could swing the bucks for a camp like that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While I don't believe there's a chance in hell of Roberts ditching his own personal business to work for 1 hockey team I do think it would be reasonable to hire him to do the prospect camps. Show the kids what will be expected of them off ice if they want to succeed with a person who did succeed training them. I think Pegula could swing the bucks for a camp like that.

Roberts does "work" for the Stars as Player Development Consultant.

Can we bring this back to Black and his comments now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->