WGR: Ted Black interview this morning

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Here's what it comes down to with Myers. He or someone in the organization needs to choose what they want. Do they want him to play bigger, Shea Weber type? Or do they want him leading rushes, going deep into the offensive zone and focus on his speed?

I've come to find out that we can't have both. You either bulk up with muscles, which means more blood going through the muscles and more oxygen intake. Or you try for that lean muscle and low body fat %.

As all of us runner's know, you get the runner's face after a bit and look like skeletor. However, our cardio is so excellent we can go for 20+ miles at an 8 min/mi clip.

The whole point of this post is this: Myers cannot bulk up and stay the same player he is now or in past. You don't see Shea Weber flying around like Myers does, do you?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Here's what it comes down to with Myers. He or someone in the organization needs to choose what they want. Do they want him to play bigger, Shea Weber type? Or do they want him leading rushes, going deep into the offensive zone and focus on his speed?

I've come to find out that we can't have both. You either bulk up with muscles, which means more blood going through the muscles and more oxygen intake. Or you try for that lean muscle and low body fat %.

As all of us runner's know, you get the runner's face after a bit and look like skeletor. However, our cardio is so excellent we can go for 20+ miles at an 8 min/mi clip.

The whole point of this post is this: Myers cannot bulk up and stay the same player he is now or in past. You don't see Shea Weber flying around like Myers does, do you?

What the Sabres need to do is start looking for a Weber type and stop trying to have Myers be it. Pair Myers with a Weber type of defenseman and let him run around doing his thing for 30 minutes a night.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What the Sabres need to do is start looking for a Weber type and stop trying to have Myers be it. Pair Myers with a Weber type of defenseman and let him run around doing his thing for 30 minutes a night.

The point thats being missed by many is the focus of Myer's workouts have been geared towards that. They are geared towards giving him the endurance/strength to handle playing big minutes. Its not about him just bulking up. That Myers keeps trying to do this on his own and failing is the problem not that he is being asked to do this.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The point thats being missed by many is the focus of Myer's workouts have been geared towards that. They are geared towards going him the endurnace and strength to play big minutes. Its not about him just bulking up. That Myers keeps trying to do this on his own and failing is the problem not that he is being asked to do this.

Hire Gary Roberts as the team strength and conditioning coach. Problem solved.

Start throwing money at him, Terry.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wouldn't say solid enough to win a Cup, but leadership acknowledging a failed approach and correcting it is encouraging, in ANY organization: sports, work, military, volunteer charity, etc.

Being a military officer, I take a ton of interest in organizational structure. I think the Sabres' ownership and front office is solid enough to win a Cup with.

- Owner/leader that provides a vision of what he wants to achieve, and enough resources to subordinates to achieve that vision? Check.

- Organizational structure that's sound, with clean and easy to understand levels of hierarchy? Check.

- Decision makers with enough foresight to re-evaluate subordinate performance, and make necessary changes? Check.

- Decision makers that understand when the situation changes, and redesigns their plans accordingly? Check.

- Charisma in team leadership? Check (Pegula).

- Effort put into creating a winning culture? Check.

- Ability to learn from mistakes? Check.

Too many folks will take the view that the Sabres aren't strong enough organizationally to win a Cup based on Regier remaining as the GM. I don't agree. Keeping Regier now doesn't mean he's staying. They've clearly determined that Regier's mistakes were in taking a chance, and he failed, but he's getting another opportunity under their leadership. That's a far cry from endorsing failure. If Regier fails again, he'll go, just like Ruff. The notes I outlined above don't change, or even hinge, on the GM. The leader (Pegula) and the structure (Sabres organization) are sound. The rudder steer of the past few weeks prove that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Being a military officer, I take a ton of interest in organizational structure. I think the Sabres' ownership and front office is solid enough to win a Cup with.

- Owner/leader that provides a vision of what he wants to achieve, and enough resources to subordinates to achieve that vision? Check.

- Organizational structure that's sound, with clean and easy to understand levels of hierarchy? Check.

- Decision makers with enough foresight to re-evaluate subordinate performance, and make necessary changes? Check.

- Decision makers that understand when the situation changes, and redesigns their plans accordingly? Check.

- Charisma in team leadership? Check (Pegula).

- Effort put into creating a winning culture? Check.

- Ability to learn from mistakes? Check.

Too many folks will take the view that the Sabres aren't strong enough organizationally to win a Cup based on Regier remaining as the GM. I don't agree. Keeping Regier now doesn't mean he's staying. They've clearly determined that Regier's mistakes were in taking a chance, and he failed, but he's getting another opportunity under their leadership. That's a far cry from endorsing failure. If Regier fails again, he'll go, just like Ruff. The notes I outlined above don't change, or even hinge, on the GM. The leader (Pegula) and the structure (Sabres organization) are sound. The rudder steer of the past few weeks prove that.

Fantastic post and great points. :clap:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It goes well beyond those 3. Think of all the talent we had throughout the organization coming out of the lockout.

Interestingly enough, when you think about it, those great post-lockout teams weren't really built through the draft.

Briere - acquired via trade
Drury - acquired via trade
Tim Connolly - acquired via trade
Toni Lydman - acquired via trade
Teppo Numminen - free agent signing

Sure, younger guys like Roy and Miller and Vanek and Dumont and McKee and Gaustad and Tallinder and Campbell were home-grown.

But when you look at the core of those teams (top three centers and key veteran defensemen), they were all acquired from outside the organization.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Interestingly enough, when you think about it, those great post-lockout teams weren't really built through the draft.

Briere - acquired via trade
Drury - acquired via trade
Tim Connolly - acquired via trade
Toni Lydman - acquired via trade
Teppo Numminen - free agent signing

Sure, younger guys like Roy and Miller and Vanek and Dumont and McKee and Gaustad and Tallinder and Campbell were home-grown.

But when you look at the core of those teams (top three centers and key veteran defensemen), they were all acquired from outside the organization.

You're completely missing the point. Its not about how that depth was acquired. Its that we had an incredibly deep team/organization after the lockout and let a sizable amount of very valubale assets leave for NOTHING. The previous owners policies led to the worst potential management of the assets we had at the time. It led to a gutting of the organization of talent and give us few tools to replenish with. In order to start replenishing that depth we needed to step back and do what we've done the last to deadlines but that wasn't allowed by the previous regime. So we were stuck on the 6-10th place hamster wheel.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
The point thats being missed by many is the focus of Myer's workouts have been geared towards that. They are geared towards giving him the endurance/strength to handle playing big minutes. Its not about him just bulking up. That Myers keeps trying to do this on his own and failing is the problem not that he is being asked to do this.

Didn't they (Regier, Ruff) make a point that, during Myers' rookie year they made a point that they were spending time with him off ice working on time management, life-management type stuff. "Learning how to be an NHLer" is how I remember it. Did that just end?

I have trouble believing that they did have any input on his offseason workouts so I don't know where this breakdown has happened but it is certainly possible that he's adhering to a bad workout plan, not doing a bad job of trying to follow a good workout plan. Either way, to me the front office has some percentage of culpability.

Which gets to why I have I little faith in Regier being able to pull off this rebuilding effort. I don't understand the direction of this team. After the Olympics we heard about them being a more puck-possession, Detroit-like team but it never happened. Forechecking has been anathema to the entire Regier era. His idea of team toughness seems to be have a couple of pests and an enforcer and say that's that. He didn't do a good job of matching acquisitions to coach and philosophy (Boyes, Leino). Their prospects seems to stagnate once they get to the NHL level. He's superbly adept at asset acquisition but beyond that one factor, I just don't see why I should have faith in him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Didn't they (Regier, Ruff) make a point that, during Myers' rookie year they made a point that they were spending time with him off ice working on time management, life-management type stuff. "Learning how to be an NHLer" is how I remember it. Did that just end?

They did but that was during the season. I'm talking about the offseason where little control can be exerted on a players.

I have trouble believing that they did have any input on his offseason workouts so I don't know where this breakdown has happened but it is certainly possible that he's adhering to a bad workout plan, not doing a bad job of trying to follow a good workout plan. Either way, to me the front office has some percentage of culpability.

I'm sure they have input and make suggestions on his training but its still on him. During the offseason they don't have much control over players.

Myers isn't breaking down during the season. He is showing up to camp unable to handle the big minutes asked of him. Then as the season progresses he gets better and can handle them later in the year. So basically when they have the most control over him (during the season) is when this issue is dealt with and set right. But when he first shows aup and at the start of the season there is a problem. And no offense, but I find it a tad comical that you're arguing they gave him a bad workout plan. That would mean the team doesn't know how to organize workout plans. I don't know of any other Sabres with this issue do you?

And this past year he hung out with Weber and picked his brain on what to do and then during the lockout they had zero control over him. Its seems pretty obvious he is doing his own thing. Then he came into camp worse than ever, though an injured played a role as well.

Which gets to why I have I little faith in Regier being able to pull off this rebuilding effort. I don't understand the direction of this team. After the Olympics we heard about them being a more puck-possession, Detroit-like team but it never happened. Forechecking has been anathema to the entire Regier era. His idea of team toughness seems to be have a couple of pests and an enforcer and say that's that. He didn't do a good job of matching acquisitions to coach and philosophy (Boyes, Leino). Their prospects seems to stagnate once they get to the NHL level. He's superbly adept at asset acquisition but beyond that one factor, I just don't see why I should have faith in him.

I'm guessing we'll know more about the team's direction in the summer when decisions are made in regards to a coach, Vanek, Miller and Stafford.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
I'm guessing we'll know more about the team's direction in the summer when decisions are made in regards to a coach, Vanek, Miller and Stafford.

The team direction seems obvious, right? The last two years has me skeptical about the man at the rudder.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

- Owner/leader that provides a vision of what he wants to achieve, and enough resources to subordinates to achieve that vision? Check. 1st part yes, 2nd part no

- Organizational structure that's sound, with clean and easy to understand levels of hierarchy? Check. yes

- Decision makers with enough foresight to re-evaluate subordinate performance, and make necessary changes? Check. yes (not an issue)

- Decision makers that understand when the situation changes, and redesigns their plans accordingly? Check. 1st part yes, 2nd part not enough

- Charisma in team leadership? Check (Pegula). currently a little lacking in motivate and reward performance

- Effort put into creating a winning culture? Check. creating yes, sustaining is challenging

- Ability to learn from mistakes? Check. TBD

I re-read my post. I meant I personally can't assess whether the leadership structure is strong enough to win a Cup, but am very much appreciative and acknowledge organizations / leaders who overtly and publicly define desired future state, correctly assess current state, quantify the gap, and enact a plan to change that gap. I wasn't rebutting your assessment (although re-reading, see how that came across). And I fully appreciate how your life experience enables you to distinguish those qualities / differences.

FYI, in bolded is my assessment of my job situation, not Sabres.

Yours is a good list. I think Colin Powell had a similar one of "qualities of a good leader". One of the points was, if all the above is in place (or items similar), to "get out of the way and let people do their work".

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Leo's comments? ... The one where he said the locker room was like a morgue or something along those lines?...

How can you attribute that to Miller? They freakin' suck...of course the locker room isn't going to be anything great to be in... They all contribute to that type of environment.
[/QUOTE]

I am attributing Leo's comments towards Miller based on the way Miller carries himself in and out of the dressing room. He is in a constant state of meditation. Turn that music down and get off my lawn type of guy and I'm GUESSING that carries over into the locker and infects people. They no longer have a giddy Derek Roy going around and doing towel snaps and clowning around :amazed:

What? Regier said he is keeping Rolston long term, even after this season?

No. He didn't. Mountain out of molehill syndrome.

I did not imply that he said that. I said I'm scared that if Darcy is retained RR will be also and I personally don't want any of that.

So Regier gets a pass for ****ing the entire bottom six to high heaven and basically costing us the season? He had basically one job, get a defensively competent top 9 pivot so Hodgson wouldn't lead the league in GA/60 and Ennis could keep getting 60% offensive zone starts. Instead, we get 22 games of Grigs/Hecht/McCormick/Ellis.

Kevin Porter and Bryan Flynn displacing Darcy's actual roster players is an absolute disgrace and should cost him his job, and that says nothing about the horrible makeup of the defense under Pegula Bucks Regier, with offensive defensemen and possession sinks for days.

Oh, and he had 100% faith in the idiot coach who's impeded the development of the franchise defenseman and somehow made this roster of mismatched parts worse through how he deployed and rewarded his players.

Darcy failed big time in the roster he put on ice this year. It is sad that he was counting on Grigorenko being able to contribute enough to help the team get by.
He may have been able to if Leino didn't get hurt. But at the same time that's a big roll of the dice. I look around our team and am shocked most nights comparing our talent to other teams. FAIL.

Unless they wrote off this season as a rebuilding year.

They sure didn't try to spin it that way did they? They are now but that's only because of the flop job Darcy gave us.
I am all in for a complete tear down meaning Stafford, Miller and Vanek are gone. Replaced with picks and guys about to be good/great. Top prospects ready to play maybe and live with some mistakes of young guys trying rather than our current crew going the motions with no heart, no emotion, and no skill.
On the other hand, bringing in John Scott might have been a sign that we are rebuilding dunno.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Hire Gary Roberts as the team strength and conditioning coach. Problem solved.

Start throwing money at him, Terry.

At the very least send Myers to Gary.

Agree. I think Myers turns around with a combination of a new coach, letting him play his natural game, and a sound off-season strength and conditioning program.

You guys realize that a training regiment for one guy might not be the right one for another guy, right? Kind of sick of hearing about Gary Roberts as if he's the only personal trainer with any credibility.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You guys realize that a training regiment for one guy might not be the right one for another guy, right? Kind of sick of hearing about Gary Roberts as if he's the only personal trainer with any credibility.

You that Roberts can (and does) make more than one diet and workout plan, right? I'm sure Cody Hodgson trying to recover from a back injury wasn't there doing the same workout as Stamkos.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
You that Roberts can (and does) make more than one diet and workout plan, right? I'm sure Cody Hodgson trying to recover from a back injury wasn't there doing the same workout as Stamkos.

Yup, he must be the only credible trainer out there. The only way to get into peak form is to work out with him.

Everyone loves bringing him up, but the reports on him are fluff pieces. All of these guys have direction and most have very good personal trainers.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Yup, he must be the only credible trainer out there. The only way to get into peak form is to work out with him.

Everyone loves bringing him up, but the reports on him are fluff pieces. All of these guys have direction and most have very good personal trainers.

He has the most respected training program right now. Besides that, he was a well known gym rat. Can you really blame people for wanting to send someone like Myers to him?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hodgson trains with Roberts
Stokes is fed up with hearing about Roberts

What would happen if Ennis trained with Roberts crew?

stash-1-50f5f7eb6b287.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->