WGR: Ted Black interview this morning

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Did anyone listen? I heard a few bits and pieces; hoping to pull a link at some point today so I can hear the full thing.

What I did hear:

-They are sticking with Darcy, they believe he has done enough in the 2 years they have been there for him to do this rebuild. Won't judge him on the past; just what he has done since they arrived.

-After next years draft, they will have 6 - 1st rounders and 8 - 2nd rounders in 4 years since they took over the franchise. They feel that is how you build a winning culture.

-They went for a cup in 3 years, and drastically fell short so now its time to build from the ground.

-Didn't want to comment on Leopold's "Grim Reaper" comment. Said he didn't know what it meant since he obviously wasn't talking about the owner or himself.

The thing I heard that I have the most problem with-

-He said they didn't have a solid pipeline of prospects when he got there and that's why they are where they are now. Well if that's the case, then why is Darcy still here? Its his fault they didn't have a solid pipeline of prospects.

Anyone else hear more they would like to add?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Awesome....so they addressed the "3 year plan" ..said they failed...and are moving on.

Now hopefully everyone else moves on.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I'm afraid Ted is giving Darcy a pass on Brad Boyes and Ville unless Terry directed those? I want Darcy gone at season's end.
It scares me that he is going to keep RR as coach going forward because he loves his calm demeanor.
We need to move on from Darcy and I hope this is just Ted spinning the company line until the axe falls.

An aside about Leo's comment. I think that mood is driven from Miller personally and with him gone in the offseason and fresh faces and a coach we can get over that crap too. But if Darcy stays all bets are off.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm afraid Ted is giving Darcy a pass on Brad Boyes and Ville unless Terry directed those? I want Darcy gone at season's end.
It scares me that he is going to keep RR as coach going forward because he loves his calm demeanor.
We need to move on from Darcy and I hope this is just Ted spinning the company line until the axe falls.

What was wrong with the Boyes acquisition? He helped us into the playoffs two years ago.

Regier is going nowhere. The Pominville trade signified that.

I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
This is why Regier is never getting fired.

"Ive told the hockey department to make mistakes, I love mistakes. I want to see you make mistakes, because the day you're afraid to make mistakes is the day you stop taking chances" -Terry Pegula

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What was wrong with the Boyes acquisition? He helped us into the playoffs two years ago.

Regier is going nowhere. The Pominville trade signified that.

I'm fine with it.

An aside about Leo's comment. I think that mood is driven from Miller personally and with him gone in the offseason and fresh faces and a coach we can get over that crap too. But if Darcy stays all bets are off.
[/QUOTE]

Leo's comments? ... The one where he said the locker room was like a morgue or something along those lines?...

How can you attribute that to Miller? They freakin' suck...of course the locker room isn't going to be anything great to be in... They all contribute to that type of environment.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
Guess all we can do is see how this all pans out. So many things to say but what's the point? Not worth it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Leo's comments? ... The one where he said the locker room was like a morgue or something along those lines?...

How can you attribute that to Miller? They freakin' suck...of course the locker room isn't going to be anything great to be in... They all contribute to that type of
environment.

That wasn't me. I mis-formatted the quote of the poster I quoted.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why would you even say that given Ruff's firing...?

GM's and coaches are not the same. Its probably going to take Pegula seeing how his new core develops. Rebuilding process actually started a couple years ago IMO.

GodHatesBuffalo

Jan 19, 2012
Rochester

What? Regier said he is keeping Rolston long term, even after this season?

Clock

May 13, 2006
GM's and coaches are not the same. Its probably going to take Pegula seeing how his new core develops. Rebuilding process actually started a couple years ago IMO.

The point is that in Ruff's firing, Pegula has clearly demonstrated that he will fire (or allow to be fired) people in the hockey department, so pointing to that quote and saying "See? He's not going to can anyone!" is silly.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
That somehow equates to Regier never being fired?

Well, in the next 3-4 years I dont see it. New coach will probably be a big splash because of the Pegula factor. The Sabres are pretty loaded with prospects, and have numerous picks to just keep adding to it. They should have a top 5 pick this year that will allow them to add an elite player as well.

I just dont see how Darcy gets fired.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The point is that in Ruff's firing, Pegula has clearly demonstrated that he will fire (or allow to be fired) people in the hockey department, so pointing to that quote and saying "See? He's not going to can anyone!" is silly.

I took it as...he's going to be allowed to do this rebuild...so the hopes of some of Darcy being canned after the season is not going to come to fruition... I didn't take it literally that he would NEVER be fired.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I actually think firing Ruff is further proof Regier isn't getting fired. If you didn't like Regier, why wouldn't you fire both at the same time?

I thought they were a packaged deal. We found out they are not.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
So now, does anyone think that this may increase/decrease the chance of Patrick Roy as the next coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->