Teams we have seen the last of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
Monkeypox said:
MMMMMM, Minneapolis vs. St.Paul - that would be one hell of a rivalry. :yo:
your right that would be cool, but I don't understand how some posters don't think that 17 million people in the greater L.A. area cant support two teams. :shakehead
Traditional market or not do the math there has to be at least 100,000 die hards around here. :yo:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
krandor said:
You just need to work on growing the market in the South in those areas that may not be doing well. There are a lot of ECHL teams in the South that are doing quite well. The Thrashers quite often get more people to come to games then the Hawks do and the new ownership of the Thrashers seem interested in improving the marketing of the team.

If hockey teams are only going to be in the north and in traditional hockey markets, then don't complain when there are no national TV deals and the national media decides to continue to ignore hockey because putting teams only in the north would say that hockey wants to be regional and not national. If you want national exposure of hockey then other markets beyond the traditional markets need to be grown, not contracted.

Agreed. Amazing how many want to marginalize a sport they supposedly love instead of giving it a chance to grow into truly being close to an equal with the big three, NBA, MLB, NFL. A cap, new rules, technological advances like HDTV, hockey has some things that could make it grow. And yet some, especially supporters of big markets, would rather rule over a garage league than take a chance at being part of a major sport.

Feb 12, 2003
NataSatan666 said:
I would get rid of the 6 teams that brought in the smallest amount of revenue in a 3 year period.

Any team that can not bring in 60 Million in revenue, does not deserve a team period. No matter if they are located in Canada or Cambodia

Buffalo avg 51 million
Carolina avg 52 million
Pittsburgh avg 52 million (plus problems on 2 other occasions)
Anaheim avg 54 million
Edmonton avg 55 million
Nashville 57 million
Phoenix 57 million
Atlanta 59 million

6 of these 8 teams would be gone in my league. I might save Pittsburgh and Edmonton because of past history and because the Pens are getting a new building. But the rest can leave and in 5 years most people would not even remember.

Contraction is a dirty word, a word that hurts fans of certain teams. But a team has got to have some sort of revenue stream to even make a hard cap work.

a 40 million dollar cap with a 32 million dollar floor would kill this elite bunch of 8.

Phoenix doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering they are the 7th worst revenue generating team (not top 6 like you suggest) and they got a new building a year ago that they own (will help generate money). Then again, that whole list looks pretty off base (including Pitt, EDM, ATL, and NASH).

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
monkey_00 said:
In continuing with my first post of this thread.......I would get rid of the following 10:

Phoenix-Anaheim-Buffalo-Carolina-Pittsburgh-Tampa Bay-Washington-NY Islanders-Nashville-Columbus
:lol: :help: :dunce: Dude this is ridiculous. Why get rid of the defending champions without even giving them a chance to defend their title?
Sure just get rid of Buffalo cuz the owner visited your city (wich I find very ugly)
Just get rid of Nashville cuz you don't like country music.
Just get rid of the blue jackets cuz they have too many people going to their games.
Just get rid of the Islanders for no particular reason.
The only team I agree that should be eliminated is Carolina.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
ODC said:
My hope is the NHL becomes a league where small market teams can be comfortable sustained on a 30m-35m payroll and be competitive enough to win a championship.

I would rather see more small market teams where the population knows the sport, snow occurs yearly, the majority of the people can skate, lack of other major sports, and most importantly, the fans are rabid and zealous about hockey. If I had my way, I'd move the some teams like Florida, Anaheim, Carolina, Atlanta and Phoenix to places up north like Winnipeg, Quebec Cty, Portland, Des Moines, and Boise for example.

The southern states dont' care about hockey. That itself is more harmful to me than having more small market teams in the league.

You idea is terrible.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

NataSatan666 said:
When a team (Carolina) makes 16 million in gate for a whole year. In a gate driven league. There is no way to make money with a 30m-35m payroll.

The 'canes draws dust and not much else. The demand is not there. That's why they should be moved.

Edmonton with a smaller population gets by on a 30-35 payroll, with revenue sharing and deflated and controlled salaries, smaller market teams will be able to compete. Move those southern teams up north where the general populace cares about the sport.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

krandor said:
You just need to work on growing the market in the South in those areas that may not be doing well. There are a lot of ECHL teams in the South that are doing quite well. The Thrashers quite often get more people to come to games then the Hawks do and the new ownership of the Thrashers seem interested in improving the marketing of the team.

If hockey teams are only going to be in the north and in traditional hockey markets, then don't complain when there are no national TV deals and the national media decides to continue to ignore hockey because putting teams only in the north would say that hockey wants to be regional and not national. If you want national exposure of hockey then other markets beyond the traditional markets need to be grown, not contracted.

With Football at an all time high, Baseball back in the spotlight, BBall as popular as ever, the NHL is never going to get that lucrative national TV contract. People have to face that its a regional sport. It would take too long to grow the sport in the south and during would hurt the league's image as a wannabe.

If I was raised in Texas, why should I give a **** about some Canadians chasing a piece of rubber in a freezer when the Cowboy's are on.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
NataSatan666 said:
When a team (Carolina) makes 16 million in gate for a whole year. In a gate driven league. There is no way to make money with a 30m-35m payroll.
carolina also took to the challenge of rebuilding last year and attendance fell off from the 2 prior years however the worst of the rebuild is now behind the canes and the crowd will be back with a better product not to mention the canes have one of the best arena deals in the league. i am sure most teams gate drops when they undertake a youth movement -the canes got old really quick after the cup run (francis-irbe) and some players lost their form (battaglia for one) but here is just a sample of what we have coming up-eric staal-cam ward-danny richmond-justin williams-radim vrbata-joe vasicek-andrew ladd plus others and we still have some decent older guys-brinda'more-jeff o'neill (if he gets healthy which he should be by now) brett hedican kevyn adams- most fans realize what is going on and if this lockout has'nt soured them the bandwagoners will soon be back.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Jaded-Fan said:
Agreed. Amazing how many want to marginalize a sport they supposedly love instead of giving it a chance to grow into truly being close to an equal with the big three, NBA, MLB, NFL. A cap, new rules, technological advances like HDTV, hockey has some things that could make it grow. And yet some, especially supporters of big markets, would rather rule over a garage league than take a chance at being part of a major sport.
Good post! It never ceases to amaze me at how many "real hockey lovers" here would rather keep "their sport" to themselves. It's a very narrow minded attitude, and quite sad IMO.

krandor

Jan 28, 2005
ODC said:
With Football at an all time high, Baseball back in the spotlight, BBall as popular as ever, the NHL is never going to get that lucrative national TV contract. People have to face that its a regional sport. It would take too long to grow the sport in the south and during would hurt the league's image as a wannabe.

If I was raised in Texas, why should I give a **** about some Canadians chasing a piece of rubber in a freezer when the Cowboy's are on.

Hockey is a game better seen in person then on TV and if you want to make fans out of people they need to be able to be in places where they can see hockey. I became a hockey fan by going to an ECHL team in North Carolina. If there are not any teams in areas for people to see, it will be harder to get them to get interested.

I was at an ECHL game at Gwinnett Georgia about a week ago that was a sellout of 11,000 people for hockey and a lot of those were kids. By getting kids to games like that, they are more likely to want to follow hockey and the NHL when they get older. Yes, it takes time to build a fan base in non-traditional areas, but it is possible if you can get people to come see hockey in person.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
ODC said:

they said pretty much the same thing about NASCAR in the 80's, its every bit as regional and hated by the US sports media as hockey is.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
ODC said:

Plenty of texans are supporting hockey. in the Central Hockey league. over half of the 17 teams are in Texas. Hockey is No Longer Regional. Youth programs are full, and building reputations here in L.A. Hockey IS Growing. :yo:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
teams we have seen the last of......i cant wait for this to be a thread we've seen the last of. never happen of course, too much ignorance.

Last edited:

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
monkey_00 said:
Starsdude..........

This is a very good topic of discussion..........here is my list of teams with a one-way ticket to the Scrap heap:

Buffalo Sabres (Sabres owner Golisano payed a visit to Hamilton twice in January)

:lol :lol:

Why do you even bother posting in these types of threads? Your attempt at logic is pathetic. Golisano is not going to move the team, and is probably one of the 5 richest owners in the league. The Sabres pre-date half the teams in the NHL. Remember that one.

:loony:

Yeah, we'll get rid of the Stanley Cup Champions. Genius. You ought to be running the league. The NFL should move the Patriots to Mexico City as well. Work on that one, too.

:shakehead

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
krandor said:
Hockey is a game better seen in person then on TV and if you want to make fans out of people they need to be able to be in places where they can see hockey. I became a hockey fan by going to an ECHL team in North Carolina. If there are not any teams in areas for people to see, it will be harder to get them to get interested.

I was at an ECHL game at Gwinnett Georgia about a week ago that was a sellout of 11,000 people for hockey and a lot of those were kids. By getting kids to games like that, they are more likely to want to follow hockey and the NHL when they get older. Yes, it takes time to build a fan base in non-traditional areas, but it is possible if you can get people to come see hockey in person.

Except the cost of a ticket is not $10 to see an NHl game. Also this has never worked for soccer. 20000 kids play soccer each saturday in Dallas and 5000 go to a Dallas Burn game despite tickets that are $20

It comes down to TV money, sponsorship and advertising and there are too many alternatives to hockey. Whoever said that if you cannot generate about 60 mill in revenue is out is basically right unless they have a sweetheart deal from the city.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NataSatan666 said:
I would get rid of the 6 teams that brought in the smallest amount of revenue in a 3 year period.

Any team that can not bring in 60 Million in revenue, does not deserve a team period. No matter if they are located in Canada or Cambodia

Buffalo avg 51 million
Carolina avg 52 million
Pittsburgh avg 52 million (plus problems on 2 other occasions)
Anaheim avg 54 million
Edmonton avg 55 million
Nashville 57 million
Phoenix 57 million
Atlanta 59 million

6 of these 8 teams would be gone in my league. I might save Pittsburgh and Edmonton because of past history and because the Pens are getting a new building. But the rest can leave and in 5 years most people would not even remember.

Contraction is a dirty word, a word that hurts fans of certain teams. But a team has got to have some sort of revenue stream to even make a hard cap work.

a 40 million dollar cap with a 32 million dollar floor would kill this elite bunch of 8.

Contract the leafs and divide up their $120m in revenue 8 ways and then we can save 8 teams and only lose one. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->