Teams we have seen the last of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnaby_Joe*

I think there should be 4 less teams. 2 from each conference, but then there would be 2 divisions with only 4 teams. :dunno:

monkey_00*

Starsdude said:
Carolina, florida for sure

Pitt atlanta Ducks Isles all possible

Starsdude..........

This is a very good topic of discussion..........here is my list of teams with a one-way ticket to the Scrap heap:

Phoenix Coyotes (First #99 lost money with the Argos, now these guys)
Anaheim Mighty Ducks (The movie stunck bad, the team is even worse)
Buffalo Sabres (Sabres owner Golisano payed a visit to Hamilton twice in January)
Carolina Hurricanes (This is good basketball territory...not a hockey one)
Pittsburgh Penguins (These guys should have folded up their tent the first time around before Mario Lemieux arrived on the scene)
Tampa Bay Lightning (4-owners in the last dozen years for this club means that these guys were very unstable right from the get-go)
Washington Capitals (Capitals were never a household name in that City and now with Major League baseball there fans will be saving their money for baseball tickets instead)
New York Islanders (Should rename this club the 'Fantasy Islanders')
Nashville Predators (6 years in the League and the local TV station is showing 'Classic Predators Hockey games'...PLUS I hate Country music.......Nuff said)
Columbus Bluejackets (When the baseball strike was over it took a while for the fans to come back to the ballparks....and they finally did in places where the sport mattered like New York, Boston and St.Louis...but they didnt in places like Montreal and Toronto...same thing will happen with NHL...once the League resumes play the fans will come back again to the rinks in Montreal and Toronto...but NOT in places like Columbus Ohio)

Cheers!

monkey_00

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
monkey_00 said:
Starsdude..........

This is a very good topic of discussion..........here is my list of teams with a one-way ticket to the Scrap heap:

Phoenix Coyotes (First #99 lost money with the Argos, now these guys)
Anaheim Mighty Ducks (The movie stunck bad, the team is even worse)
Buffalo Sabres (Sabres owner Golisano payed a visit to Hamilton twice in January)
Carolina Hurricanes (This is good basketball territory...not a hockey one)
Pittsburgh Penguins (These guys should have folded up their tent the first time around before Mario Lemieux arrived on the scene)
Tampa Bay Lightning (4-owners in the last dozen years for this club means that these guys were very unstable right from the get-go)
Washington Capitals (Capitals were never a household name in that City and now with Major League baseball there fans will be saving their money for baseball tickets instead)
New York Islanders (Should rename this club the 'Fantasy Islanders')
Nashville Predators (6 years in the League and the local TV station is showing 'Classic Predators Hockey games'...PLUS I hate Country music.......Nuff said)
Columbus Bluejackets (When the baseball strike was over it took a while for the fans to come back to the ballparks....and they finally did in places where the sport mattered like New York, Boston and St.Louis...but they didnt in places like Montreal and Toronto...same thing will happen with NHL...once the League resumes play the fans will come back again to the rinks in Montreal and Toronto...but NOT in places like Columbus Ohio)

Cheers!

monkey_00
but now that they've won a cup, tampa's management might invest more money

Safir*

monkey_00 said:

Did you ever checked their attendance numbers?

My contraction list:

1.) Carolina: NC is Duke, Tarheel, NASCAR & Panthers country, but just not Hockey. I stayed in the state for a while so I know.

2.) Anaheim: The logo?...eewww. The name, what's so mighty about them...ewww. Greater Los Angeles should be Kings country. :yo:

A couple of other teams are serious candiadates for re-locating. Places like Portland, OR or Kansas City comes to mind in the US & Quebec City and maybe Winnipeg in Canada. Heck I'm pretty sure that the Twin Cities could host two teams.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Starsdude said:
Carolina, florida for sure

Pitt atlanta Ducks Isles all possible

Including Pitt shows an enormous ignorance about hockey. The Pens were in the top 3rd of the NHL in attendence for the last 10 years up to last year despite having among the highest ticket prices in the NHL. They are in the top 5 local TV hockey markets in the US. There is not a chance of them contracting or moving with a new arena and probably a 50/50 of them staying even without one.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Thing is the Ducks spend more money on players than the Kings.

League can't get rid of a team that is paying players 50 million.

jacketracket*

TomACE said:
Did you ever checked their attendance numbers?
No, he hasn't.

monkey boy has a bad case of Columbus envy. Columbus was awarded an expansion franchise in the same round of expansion that saw Hamilton denied a team.

Please, don't confuse him with facts, figures, or shiny things.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
TomACE said:
2.) Anaheim: The logo?...eewww. The name, what's so mighty about them...ewww. Greater Los Angeles should be Kings country. :yo:

That is the worst logic I have ever heard for contracting/moving a team. Just think about what you posted for a few minutes. A team should be removed because you don't like their logo/mascot.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
bleedgreen said:
are you trolling, or serious?

no one is going anywhere. at least 2 seasons before a relocation even.

You can rest assured if this season becomes toast, there will be a fold or two. :dunno:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Brewleaguer said:
You can rest assured if this season becomes toast, there will be a fold or two. :dunno:
Why should we be "assured" of that if the teams who were having financial problems are losing less money without hockey than they were with hockey? Wishful thinking IMO

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think the problem with anahiem is just that you have 2 NHL franchises in an area that doesn't really care enough about hockey to have 2 franchises. it's just kind of a goofy team in a goofy place...that being said, if they can survive fincancially and put forth a competative team, no reason they should move. that goes for any team really.

i'd have to look at the san jose sharks and wonder though...wasn't there a report that they just barely broke even last year by making it to the western finals, despite having a real low payroll? those are the kinds of things you look at and go "hmm".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad