Teams used to carry 3 goalies... why?

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I'm not really sure how to formulate my question, other than that I remember when I was a kid in the 80's it was common to associate 3 goalies to a team, am I remembering things incorrectly so to speak or was there more flexibility back then because of waivers etc? Did teams bring in the hot hand from the farm and let him compete until he earned a spot or cooled off and sent him back down? As a Canucks fan I remember Caprice McLean and Brodeur all competing for the job.

It was a different time of course, not a goalie friendly era... can someone shed some light?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I would mostly attribute it to the goofy kid tendency to want to know every single player associated with your favourite team, but not actually understand any of the rules surrounding rosters.

I'm pretty sure if I was 10 years old, I'd think of Ben Scrivens as a Toronto Maple Leaf, full stop.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I'm pretty sure the Leafs started the 92-93 season with three goalies on their roster: Fuhr, Wamsley and Potvin. Potvin was a promising rookie but I'm guessing they brought in Wamsley as insurance in case Potvin wasn't NHL ready. Wamsley was terrible, and I guess retired after a handful of games. Potvin went on to become a legit starting goalie and Fuhr was traded for Andreychuk.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Early Blues

Started with the post expansion Scotty Bowman Blues when they had Jacques Plante and Glenn Hall on the roster. Bowman wanted to give the veteran goalie an actual rest instead of dressing him and having him sit on the bench. The solution was to bring in a 3rd goalie - Ernie Wakely, Seth Martin, Robbie Irons etc to sit on the bench and play at times.

Other teams with deep rosters would keep three for a variety of reasons. Saving the 3rd goalie from being exposed on waivers. resting the number one during practices and other situations plus travel was not as easy as today so in case of injury a third goalie could be handy.

Then there was the competition factor especially when there was no clear #1.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The Leafs in 66-67 had 5 goalies playing between the pipes at various times, Bower, Sawchuk, Bruce Gamble, Al Smith & Gary Smith...

as C58 points out with St.Louis, it wasnt un-common to rest the battered vets throughout the regular season, using primarily "steady Eddie" types from the Minors' as filler, many of whom more than proved their reliability & talents in the "Bigs", plenty more however who were sent packing, never to return. There was a real turnover, generational, whereby previously during the Golden Era of the 6 teams you had Plante, Sawchuk, Hall, Worsley, Bower et al, and most of them pretty much done, new stars like Esposito, Parent, Cheevers, Giacomin ascendant ...

With expansion & the creation of the WHA, there was a shortage of talented goaltenders able to keep pace with the faster game at the NHL level, from then on pretty much a revolving door in the crease. Couple of old pro's from the minors who had starred for years, guys I really liked & appreciated watching even if their teams werent the greatest included Les Binkley & Joe Daley of the Penguins, with guys like Hank Bassen, Marv Edwards....

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

vancanucks16

Nov 12, 2010
Vancouver
I know the Habs did in 1985-86 with Patrick Roy, Doug Soetaert, and Steve Penney. The reason for this was that Penney was the #1 goalie heading into the season, with Roy and Soetaert competing for the backup position. Roy and Soetaert were competing hard and playing well, making it hard for the Habs to choose one over the other. Penney ended up not playing as well as the other two, so it basically became a 3 goalie rotation. I believe Patrick was the only one who was able to stay healthy throughout the whole season, leading him to playing the majority of the games. He was also named the starter for the playoffs, and we all know the rest was history.

^I read Patrick's book, there was much detail about this season

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I know the Habs did in 1985-86 with Patrick Roy, Doug Soetaert, and Steve Penney. The reason for this was that Penney was the #1 goalie heading into the season, with Roy and Soetaert competing for the backup position. Roy and Soetaert were competing hard and playing well, making it hard for the Habs to choose one over the other. Penney ended up not playing as well as the other two, so it basically became a 3 goalie rotation. I believe Patrick was the only one who was able to stay healthy throughout the whole season, leading him to playing the majority of the games. He was also named the starter for the playoffs, and we all know the rest was history.

^I read Patrick's book, there was much detail about this season

The Habs had a couple of other three headed monsters in the early to mid 80's not being able to choose a number 1 from the likes of Walmsley, Sevigny, Herron and Laroque. What a horrible era for Habs goaltending that was from Dryden's Retirement to Roy making the team. Penney's unlikely run in 1984 was the only positive in that period.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm not really sure how to formulate my question, other than that I remember when I was a kid in the 80's it was common to associate 3 goalies to a team, am I remembering things incorrectly so to speak or was there more flexibility back then because of waivers etc? Did teams bring in the hot hand from the farm and let him compete until he earned a spot or cooled off and sent him back down? As a Canucks fan I remember Caprice McLean and Brodeur all competing for the job.

It was a different time of course, not a goalie friendly era... can someone shed some light?

When the Canucks traded for Mclean they thought they had a second deal in place for King Richard--but the deal fell apart when the team that they were going to trade the king to when in another direction.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
When the Canucks traded for Mclean they thought they had a second deal in place for King Richard--but the deal fell apart when the team that they were going to trade the king to when in another direction.

Ya, the Canucks etc all had 3-4-5 guys throughout the 70's as well, in Vancouver ranging from Charlie Hodge with George Gardner & Dunc Wilson to Gary Smith, Jacques Caron & Ed Dyck, to Ken Lockett, Dave McClelland & Bruce Bullock among the many.

LA's interesting too, until Vachons' arrival quite the parade through the crease, Sawchuk, Rutledge, Caron, Desjardin, Dejordy, Norris, Gary Edwards, Billy Smith who played about 5 games for the Kings....

oh, & btw; Im liking this Jonathan Quick kid youve got, setting some records, including the one for most games played without wearing a ridiculous Blue Bandanna under his mask. :naughty:

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
This was, perhaps, foreshadowing for the goaltender revolution that would soon follow. The storm before the calm. Style, conditioning and equipment changes would soon revolutionize the position and most teams would return to the pre-expansion rotation of goalies. That is, one main guy and the backup only playing when the main guy needs rest.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Ya, the Canucks etc all had 3-4-5 guys throughout the 70's as well, in Vancouver ranging from Charlie Hodge with George Gardner & Dunc Wilson to Gary Smith, Jacques Caron & Ed Dyck, to Ken Lockett, Dave McClelland & Bruce Bullock among the many.

LA's interesting too, until Vachons' arrival quite the parade through the crease, Sawchuk, Rutledge, Caron, Desjardin, Dejordy, Norris, Gary Edwards, Billy Smith who played about 5 games for the Kings....

oh, & btw; Im liking this Jonathan Quick kid youve got, setting some records, including the one for most games played without wearing a ridiculous Blue Bandanna under his mask. :naughty:

In this case the canucks wanted only 2 goalies on the roster Quinn did not want the three headed monster and when he traded for Mclean he thought he had King Richard traded for a second.. however the team(which Quinn has never mentioned) decided to keep the two goalies they had and this left Quinn with King Richard who ended up getting injured and found himself playing less and less and being the number 3 goalie and in the stands on many nights. King Richard was also hit with a couple knee injuries and as I recall that is one reason why he retired two years later

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
In the 70's/80's, not every team was fortunate to have two quality goalies like the Rangers with Giacomin/Villemure or the Isles with Smith/Resch. Some of the teams mentioned, such as the Canucks, Kings, even Montreal for a spell, you'd have to throw Toronto in there too - went through a stretch of years where they could not get decent goaltending so they kept a constant rotation of 3 or more goalies going hoping that one would eventually click.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
In the 1973-74 season, Toronto coach Red Kelly had three goalies (Doug Favell, Eddie Johnston and Dunc Wilson) and for the first 40-50 games of the season he literally had them take turns starting games. Each goalie would start every third game, regardless of how they played previously. One of them was quoted in a newspaper article as saying that they hated it. If they had a great game and felt hot, they'd have to wait a week for their next start; and if they had a bad game they'd be stuck dwelling on it for a week before their next start.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...so they kept a constant rotation of 3 or more goalies going hoping that one would eventually click.

...pretty much. Take yer Seals for example.
over 10years saw a parade through the crease;

Lyle Carter
Bob Champoux
Marv Edwards
Charlie Hodge
Gary Kurt
Gilles Meloche
Gary Simmons
Gary Smith
Bob Sneddon
Ted Tucker
and Chris Worthy,

born in Bristol,

England,

shoulda gone to Sea

like everyone else from Bristol. :)

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
In 1980/81 Montreal won the Vezina trophy when it was awarded to the team that allowed the fewesst goals agaisnt. A goalie had to have appeared in 25 games in order to qualify. Montreal's goalies that year:

Rick Wamsley 5 gp
Richard Sevigny 33 gp
Michel "Bunny" Larocque 28 gp
Denis Herron 25 gp

The following season, Montreal had the following goaltenders appear for them:

Mark Holden 1
Denis Herron 27
Rick Wamsley 38
Richard Sevigny 19

In 1972/73
Ken Dryden 54
Wayne Thomas 10
Michel Plasse 17

The following year, the year of Dryden's sabatical
Wayne Thomas 42
Michel Larocque 27
Michel Plasse 15

Before that, in the 60s
Montreal had tandems of Worsley/Vachon/Hodge
Worsley/Vachon/Esposito

In the early 60s and the 50s, goaltending duties was mostly the job of one man.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I am vaguely aware of this practice and remember it somewhat fondly; I always remember thinking that teams with 3 goalies on my NHL94 video game had a distinct advantage. Detroit's Osgood, Cheveldae, Essensa trio was my favorite, followed probably by Vanbiesbrouck, Fitzpatrick, Reddick in Florida.

My Dallas Stars have never carried 3 goalies for any length of time. I heard a few years ago that Darryl Reaugh, the long-time Dallas Stars color commentator who was drafted ahead of Patrick Roy, Kirk McLean, Darcy Wakaluk and Jeff Reese and played 27 NHL games before retiring with knee injuries, would "almost always" suit up in practice so that #1 goalie Ed Belfour and his bad back didn't have to. Don't know if that ties into not needing a third, but it's interesting, especially considering the lack of minor league / NCAA / CHL goaltenders in the local area who could be borrowed for practice and that our AHL / IHL affiliate was always in Kalamazoo, MI or Salt Lake City, UT, 2-3 hour flights away from Dallas.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
In the 1970s, the Black Hawks traded Gerry Desjardins for Gary Smith to be Esposito's backup, but ended up with all three; the trade was abrogated because Desjardins' broken arm wasn't yet healed. Once he was healthy, they had three credible goalies, even used them all in a playoff series. It was a cinch they'd lose one in the next expansion draft, which they did. (Unfortunately for the Hawks, they gave away Giles Meloche as the replacement for Desjardins.)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it's because there were less quality goalies and some teams were scrambling to find a solution.

Spot on. Goaltending in the 1980s was particularly weak, and really it seemed to stay that way until we started to get into the 90s. A situation like the 86 Kings (to pick a completely random team) having Bob Janecyk, Darren Eliot, and Rolie Melanson all over 20 games was pretty common place at the time. A goalie anywhere over 55 games at the time was the exception far more then the rule as inconceivable as that sounds now.

Over the years the improved talent, technique, coaching, and frankly even the michelin man equipment has led to the extinction of the 3rd goalie as an option for most teams baring a particularly bad injury situation in a given season (2010 Canes, 2006 Thrashers, any team with DiPietro)

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure the Leafs started the 92-93 season with three goalies on their roster: Fuhr, Wamsley and Potvin. Potvin was a promising rookie but I'm guessing they brought in Wamsley as insurance in case Potvin wasn't NHL ready. Wamsley was terrible, and I guess retired after a handful of games. Potvin went on to become a legit starting goalie and Fuhr was traded for Andreychuk.

Wamsley was acquired from the Flames the year before in the big Gilmour trade. The Leafs and Flames swapped back-ups: Wamsley for Jeff Reese.

Wamsley retired after a handful of games because of knee injuries, not because he "was terrible". He stayed on as Potvin's coach.

As for why some teams have carried three goalies: why not? It's like asking why they often have eight or nine different guys suit up on the blue line at some point during the season. Injuries. Cold streaks. Farmhands on hot streaks. All the same reasons the 12 forwards and six defencemen get juggled around.

Last edited:

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Well, if you look at the stats he was terrible but if it's injury related it makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. When I played goal my nickname was Wamsley and I always hated it cause Wamsley had a huge GAA. I wanted my nick to be Potvin :P

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
A few relevant excerpts from newspaper articles of the time:

Also showcasing his skills was goaltender Felix Potvin, who shut out the Sabres on 16 shots over the first 30:45. As has been well documented, however, Potvin's only chance of sticking with the big club would be an injury to either No. 1 man Grant Fuhr or backup Rick Wamsley.
"But if Grant were to go down I wouldn't be afraid to bring up Felix as my No. 1 goalie,"
[coach Pat] Burns said.

- Cox, Damien. (1992, Oct. 1). "Foligno jumps (sort of) for joy as Maple Leafs beat Sabres". Toronto Star, p. B4

So coming out of training camp Potvin was not expected to see a lot of playing time for Toronto. Fuhr and Wamsley had the two NHL jobs. That was until...

A knee injury to veteran backup goalie Rick Wamsley will keep young star Felix Potvin in Toronto for the first few days of the NHL season.
Wamsley sprained his knee with just seconds left in Wednesday's 3-2 exhibition victory over the Buffalo Sabres at Maple Leaf Gardens. Wamsley figured yesterday he'll be out of action for at least a week, which will give Potvin a few more days to enjoy his $145,000 NHL salary before he goes to the minors and gets by on $37,000 per season with Toronto's top farm club in St. John's.

- Cox, Damien. (1992, Oct. 2). "Goalie Potvin set to replace injured Wamsley". Toronto Star, p. B7.

(By comparison Wamsley was making $400,000; Grant Fuhr was the highest paid player on the Leafs at $1.6 million per annum.)

The Goalies: This is the strength of the club, and it's a good place to be strong. Quality teams are often built from the goal out, while many talented teams falter because of inadequate netminding. Just look at last year's Buffalo Sabres.
[Ironically the Leafs would trade Fuhr to the Sabres for Darren Puppa later this season.]
Sure, Grant Fuhr came to camp a tad chubby, but that's typical for him. In the final part of last season he looked like the best goalie in the NHL.
Rick Wamsley is the perfect backup, and Felix Potvin is ready should trouble arise. He'll stick witht he big club for a few days while Wamsley nurses a knee injury. All in all, the Leafs could have the best group of goaltenders in hockey.

- Cox, Damien. (1992, Oct. 3). "Will they or won't they? Leafs fans want to know". Toronto Star, p. D4.

The Toronto Maple Leafs will learn today the length of goalie Grant Fuhr's absence from the lineup with knee problems.
Fuhr has a sprained knee, suffered in a workout Tuesday morning. While the team travelled here for an NHL game tonight against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Fuhr journeyed to Buffalo for an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) test on the knee to determine the extent of the damage.
With the test result as a guideline, Fuhr will be examined today by Toronto orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michael Clarfield and the seriousness of the injury determined.
Fuhr missed several weeks last season with a knee injury but not the joint that's injured this time.
Rookie Felix Potvin, who earned his first big-league victory against Ottawa Senators on Tuesday at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum, will play tonight.
Because the team's main backup, Rick Wamsley, is out until next month with a knee injury, Damian Rhodes joined the Leafs from the St. John's Maple Leafs of the American league for the No. 2 role.

- Staff writers. (1992, Oct. 22). "Leafs holding their breath while Fuhr's knee examined". Toronto Star, p. C1

... as Wamsley and Fuhr recover from their injuries the Leafs have a decision to make on their goaltending situation. After all, three definitely is a crowd.
Thus Wamsley will play his first games of minor league hockey since 1981, joining St. John's Maple Leafs of the American league for matches tonight in Cape Breton and Monday in Newfoundland.
Wamsley is there at his request to check the recovery of the strained medial collateral ligament in his left knee, an injury suffered in a pre-season game. Because the stint in the AHL is at his request for rehabilitation purposes, Wamsley does not have to clear NHL waivers to make the trip.
"My knee is not 100 per cent but maybe it never will be that because of all the wear and tear of playing goal all my life," Wamsley said. "But it has been good in workouts—I've stretched it out pretty well—and it's time to check it out under stress. The only place to do that is in an actual game with the reactions, sudden movement and the plays around the net.
"I'll play Friday and Monday then come back to Toronto and I'll know where my knee is at."

- Orr, Frank. (1992, Nov. 13). "Three's a crowd in Leaf crease". Toronto Star, p. B2.

While Fuhr and Wamsley were out Potvin went 7-3-1 with a .922 SV%; best in the NHL. When Fuhr returned it had become a choice between Fuhr, Wamsley and Potvin for the two spots on the roster, and Wamsley was the odd man out. Potvin was too good to ride the pine, and Fuhr was paid too much to ride the pine.

Wamsley aggravated that knee injury in the first AHL game he played that season, the night of Nov. 13. He was never the same.

Rick Wamsley's winter of discontent is over. And so, likely, is his playing career.
The Maple Leafs' No. 3 netminder, who hasn't played in two months, has agreed to become the team's goaltending consultant. He'll spend the rest of the season passing on 12 years' worth of NHL wisdom to other netminders in Toronto's system.
Though Wamsley won't rule out a return to the crease, at the age of 33 probably the only saves he'll make in the future will be of young careers.
"This is a chance for me to contribute more than I otherwise would," the classy veteran said yesterday after his first on-ice session without his familiar pads, cage and catching mitt.
"It wasn't like I just woke up one day and decided to do this, I've given it a lot of thought. This gives me a chance to see what life is like on the other side without totally cutting the cord. As for what will happen down the road, I'm not sure."
By any definition this has been a disappointing campaign for Wamsley. Acquired from Calgary in the Doug Gilmour trade last year, he was to be Grant Fuhr's backup this season while Felix Potvin matured in St. John's.
Clearly it didn't work out that way.
Wamsley sprained a knee during the last pre-season game and missed the first 15 games of the regular season. He then agreed to a two-game reconditioning stint with St. John's but re-injured his knee while with the AHL Leafs. He didn't see his first NHL game action until Dec. 6 when he started against the Rangers in New York. Although he played well, his teammates didn't show up and the Leafs were shelled 6-0.
Wamsley would start only one more game, yielding six goals against his former Calgary teammates. His next, and last, appearance was as a second-period replacement in Chicago on Jan. 17 after Fuhr had suffered a bruised collarbone. He allowed three goals and took the loss. That appearance actually lowered his goals against average to 5.63.
"It's been a very frustrating year, obviously," said the native of Simcoe, Ont. "I was getting very stale. It was a struggle to find a reason to go out on the ice (for practice) and be happy."
Wamsley's situation wasn't always dignified. Twice he was summoned from the press box to hurriedly dress and sit on the bench during the third period of games in which Fuhr had been hurt. But, to Wamsley's credit, his professionalism has never wavered. His outward enthusiasm belied his internal torture of inactivity.
"I tried not to be a wet blanket but that was getting harder to do every day," he said.
The Leafs are one of the last NHL teams to employ a goaltender coach/consultant—Toronto hasn't had someone in that capacity since Ian Young faded from the scene a couple seasons ago—so Wamsley's role is still being defined.
However, this is a netminder who, in 1981-82 with Montreal, combined with Denis Herron to post the NHL's best team goals against average and was a part of a Stanley Cup winner as a Flame in 1989. There is much he can pass on. Toronto will also use Wamsley to scout possible goaltending draft picks for trade prospects and to break down video for the club.
"I don't think coach is an accurate term for me," he said. "I'm another set of eyes to see the goalies play from a different perspective. I won't be behind the bench and I won't be deciding who starts, I'll just be there for my advice."

- Hunter, Paul. (1993, March 15). "Netminder Wamsley packs in Leaf career to be goalie adviser". Toronto Star, p. D3

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I think it's because there were less quality goalies and some teams were scrambling to find a solution.

The absence of quality goalies may be because many minor league programs in Canada were training small boys to be goalies. Often, the smallest kid was put in net. Technically, they might have been solid, but size stops a lot of pucks. In the mid to late 80's, the Jets had a number of goalies that were short and skinny. Alain Chevrier was 5'8" 180 lbs, Pokey Reddick was 5'8" 170, Lindsey Middlebrook 5'7" 170, Pierre Hamel 5'9" 170 and Daniel Berthiaume 5'9" 155. Bodies like this aren't made to handle 60+ games. With forwards and defense men getting bigger, faster and shooting harder, goalies with this frame were over matched. The bob and weave influence of the European game also challenged their lateral movement, which was not the forte of Canadian trained goalies at the time. Now, its difficult to find a goalie under 6'1" 200 lbs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad