Teams That Players Are Willing To Take Less To Play For...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The Leafs have definitely received discounts over the years.

From recent examples; JT, Rielly, and Kadri.

All of these guys took 1-2 M less than their max earning potential.

Are you sure about that? How much did they sign for at the time, and were they frontloaded?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Are you sure about that? How much did they sign for at the time, and were they frontloaded?

Money (i.e. front loading, signing bonuses) doesn't matter. It never has in Toronto. The board could likely afford 2 teams if they wanted.

Rielly and Kadri took discounts and this was clear from day one. Even the signing threads will attest to this as most expected a higher cap hit on both contracts.

Tavares turned down SJ's 13M/year offer.

Not saying all players take discounts (i.e. Matthews) but Toronto has definitely got a few lucky ones under its belt.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
2011 Canucks had a plethora of guys take less money. Kesler even openly stated of such.

Kesler at 5 M - Scored 41 goals and probably should have won back to back Selkes.

Burrows at 2 M - Scored 35 goals and was a core piece.

Sedins at 6.1 each - Back to back Art Ross winners.

Reactions: MadLuke

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Money (i.e. front loading, signing bonuses) doesn't matter. It never has in Toronto. The board could likely afford 2 teams if they wanted.

Rielly and Kadri took discounts and this was clear from day one. Even the signing threads will attest to this as most expected a higher cap hit on both contracts.

Tavares turned down SJ's 13M/year offer.

Not saying all players take discounts (i.e. Matthews) but Toronto has definitely got a few lucky ones under its belt.

But that's what I mean. Not every team can frontload, and if you can, players love it. Who doesn't love money upfront?

I tend to remember kadri being a question mark before that deal. Now that I check, he was coming off 39 and 45 point seasons prior to that new contract kicking in, so I don't know if 4.5 Mil was exactly a discount tbh.

As for Tavares, yeah you could say that was a slight discount, though I wonder how that sharks contract was structured compared to what he got from Toronto. And if we qualify these as discounts, then I suppose we should also say mcdavid gave a discount to Edmonton.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
I lived there for 11 years. And travel there couple times a year for business. IMO, zero charm or character. Strip mall after strip mall. Beaches are nice but can't hold a candle to panhandle, white beaches. Traffic awful.

Lol sorry that while here on work you didnt get to S Tampa, Ybor, Tarpon, Dunedin, Clearwater, Indian Rocks/St Johns Pass. ST Pete.

Coolest thing about the Tampa area is if you drive down the Gulf coast each city has it's own unique identity.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Lol sorry that while here on work you didnt get to S Tampa, Ybor, Tarpon, Dunedin, Clearwater, Indian Rocks/St Johns Pass. ST Pete.

Coolest thing about the Tampa area is if you drive down the Gulf coast each city has it's own unique identity.
Again, lived there for 11 years. Treasure Island then Clearwater. Been to all those areas. To each their own. Puts me in mind of Gertrude Stein's famous description: there's no there, there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->