Teams That Players Are Willing To Take Less To Play For...

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
Title says it all....

I am a NYR fan and have seen many players over the years willing to take less to stay with the Rangers, Devils and Isles...though more than one with the others. JAB (With that said, no player was more a traitor than Messier.)

Curious what sentiment is around the League with fans.

How many teams get player discounts these days?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I think its a player by player basis. Eg for leafs jt supposedly took a bit of a discount. But Matthews clearly didn't.

I don't think you can say one team can elicit those types of contracts from players.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Tampa seems to have a few bargains. It probably has something to do with the tax structure.

As for the rangers, I'm not so sure that guy's generally take a discount to play there. Sure, it's probably the most desirable market based on history, but guys like holik, Gomez, Drury etc definitely got paid.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Tampa seems to have a few bargains. It probably has something to do with the tax structure.
Lol, never fails. Tampa only has fantastic weather, beautiful beaches, great arena location, loyal fanbase, and a great team. Plus it's a nice place to live with fabulous downtown and affluent South Tampa. And it's on a bay. And everything is within a quick drive. Every time I come to South Tampa for work, I am blown away by how beautiful the area is. So yeah, it must be the tax structure.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Lol, never fails. Tampa only has fantastic weather, beautiful beaches, great arena location, loyal fanbase, and a great team. Plus it's a nice place to live with fabulous downtown and affluent South Tampa. And it's on a bay. And everything is within a quick drive. Every time I come to South Tampa for work, I am blown away by how beautiful the area is. So yeah, it must be the tax structure.
I lived there for 11 years. And travel there couple times a year for business. IMO, zero charm or character. Strip mall after strip mall. Beaches are nice but can't hold a candle to panhandle, white beaches. Traffic awful.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'm aware of the other attractions and I consider them ancillary factors, but you seem to completely dismiss the idea of post tax earnings playing any sort of factor at all.

These guys have agents, and I would guess they are talking about dollars and cents more than anything else.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Pretty much every team would have some extra appeal to some extent for an individuals personal preferences.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Capitals are considered a really good NHL job. First class facilites, an owner and management that treats them well, a full building and a chance to win.

The Caps don't tend to lose players they want to keep and do fairly well attracting free market players that they want.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Winners.

.... winners that play in a decently fun market.

Winning helps, but my counter to that would be that the players generally are attracted to the rangers no matter what stage of the competitive cycle they are in.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I mean most teams have that i suppose

I'm a habs fan and I can think of a lot of guys over the years who took less money to stay here because they liked the team/city/culture. Not necessarily superstars, but players who probably could have gotten more elsewhere. I'm sure that's true of a lot of cities/teams too.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Pretty much every team would have some extra appeal to some extent for an individuals personal preferences.

not sure buf would give up sturgeon fishing in Manitoba, for hunting gators in the swamp...…..

but you never know

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Leafs obvious answer. Just look at Matthews and Nylander. I'm sure Marner only gets 9+ million.

The Leafs have definitely received discounts over the years.

From recent examples; JT, Rielly, and Kadri.

All of these guys took 1-2 M less than their max earning potential.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The penguins ?

Crosby and Malkin.

Malkin signed for 9.5M in 2014-2015, Crosby for "8.7M" in 2013-2014.

Ryan Getzalf and Corey Perry signed for 8.25 and 8.65 in 2013-2014 for a comparison, Eric Staal for 8.25M in 2009-2010, OV 9.54 in 2008-2009.

Crosby was a bit of the hard to insure case around the time he signed that contract thought and it goes a bit late in age, still felt like he could have got more if he wanted too.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
The Capitals are considered a really good NHL job. First class facilites, an owner and management that treats them well, a full building and a chance to win.

The Caps don't tend to lose players they want to keep and do fairly well attracting free market players that they want.
Having Ovechkin helps

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

Having Ovechkin helps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad