Teams that overcame "bad culture"

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by TheGoldenGod, Aug 12, 2019.

1. viceroy

viceroy Registered User

Now all you guys need to do is fire Jon Cooper and get your hands on a new Head Coach.

2. robsenz

robsenz Registered User

Ottawa seems to have had some bad culture over the past 15 years, including when they were one of the best teams in the NHL.

3. jetsforever

jetsforever Registered User

Toronto definitely seems like the answer here

4. Sugi21

Sugi21 Registered User

I thought Bobby Nicks new secret burger sauce was changing the culture?

5. Help

Help Can I help you?

A team has a bad culture when they lose

When they begin winning, the culture has been fixed

Regular David Bruce likes this.
  6. Ignatius

Ignatius You'll Never Walk Alone

I think there is a lot that suggests that the Pens under Bylsma reverted to the country club ways of the past like Sid's seeming refusal to play with anyone other than grinder types despite them often holding him back. A serious lack of accountability throughout the organization lead to embarrassing playoff exits year after year.

I think the Iginla trade and quick fallout after the playoffs speaks to it perfectly. Iggy was ecstatic to get traded to Pittsburgh and choose the Penguins over the Blackhawks, Bruins, and Kings (all Stanley Cup favorites in 2013). After getting curb stomped by Boston in the ECF #12 could not get out of Pittsburgh fast enough.

7. Mobiandi

Mobiandi Seanny Gaudreau

In the new millenium, I wouldn't really say that the Flames have had any culture issues. The major problem is that their front office after Fletcher was a league-wide joke until Brian Burke. His tenure as interim GM made massive strides towards the club gaining back some respect from other franchises

Jay Feaster, in particular, was a huge black mark on this organization. The guy had Kipper, Iggy, Regehr, Bouwmeester, and Cammalleri and left us with nothing for our rebuild. Obbiously there have long been rumours of meddlesome ownership throughout the years, but Treliving seems to have kept them in check better than the rest.

8. Voight

Voight #winning

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I remember all sorts of stories of how Semin + Ovy were creating a Poussin locker room and the "lazy Russians" weren't that interested in winning the big one. & how they were basically sabotaging the younger players.

9. Voight

Voight #winning

A lot of that was an ownership. They didn't want to wait 3-5 years for a rebuild to bear fruit, they gave him a win-now mandate which is why he forked over two 1sts for Kessel.

It wasn't until Shanahan came along that they finally agreed that a rebuild was best. He was able to convince them that it was the only way to reach the ultimate goal.

10. Jerkob Slavin

Jerkob Slavin Likable Jerk

Enlightening young minds
    Carolina for sure. Karmanos was a cheap skate that would ice an AHL quality team and then blame the fans for not supporting a team that was all but eliminated from the playoffs by Christmas.

Dundon is a breath of fresh air that quickly realized that the fan experience is of paramount importance to the success of the team.

11. Spargon

Spargon Registered User

So they are right back where they started? Seems about right.

Monsieur Gustave H and Estlin like this.
  12. Malkinstheman

Malkinstheman Registered User

I feel like "culture" is just a buzz word. When a team isn't winning that word gets thrown around. These guys are professional athletes. Obviously the atmosphere isn't gonna be good if the team sucks.

13. JT Kreider

JT Kreider FIRE AV

Because he made a trade that at best will have minimal impact on the team moving forward, at worst he traded for a one dimensional player who will be completely useless if his offensive game truly has been zapped and has been known to kinda be a dbag??

The way Oilers fans have celebrated trading away Lucic makes me think I've severely underestimated how big the moves of getting Panarin and Trouba are for the Rangers.

14. Burke the Legend

Burke the Legend Registered User

Summer 2009 Bob Gainey bigtime purged the Habs dressing room with the objective to makeover the culture. There were a lot of problems with poor leadership and cliques.

15. Casanova

Casanova Registered User

So he influenced Jack Johnson to sign for 4 (or was it 5) years. Thank god he wants to win instead of playing with his friends.

16. Fixxer

Fixxer Registered User

Always on the run
    It sucks that I believe their "4" free agents left, as it'll be difficult to be as successful. Still, the culture has changed and fans actually are into it. I will also remember the game where Columbus beat Montreal 10-0 or so. After 8 goals, the crowd started to cheer (We want 10). The cannon and everything! They truly got this now!!

17. DrewGl

DrewGl Registered User

As a Caps fans they def had a rep around the DC area as being prima donnas and hard partiers. I credit Trotz for changing the teams attitude. Obviously they still party but I think he changed the culture when they were on the ice.

18. txpd

txpd Registered User

Demon was an issue. No question. Ov not caring about winning, though is horse ****

Voight likes this.
  19. Zeke and luther

Zeke and luther Registered User

Leafs are a team that comes to mind.

20. SML2

SML2 Registered User

Bad culture is a term that covers a lot of ground. Could be bad management. Could be bad coaching. Could be a toxic personality in control of the locker room, guys mixed up in nightlife, gambling, drugs... Wags hating each other, affairs with teammates significant others, you name it. It's pretty much a term for things you can't talk about in the media. Makes you wonder how much bad culture you even find out about in the first place. Every team has to have some of it. Does it hit the key players or does it derail your season is what makes it a question to ask.

21. Zeke and luther

Zeke and luther Registered User

It will be hilarious to see the oilers suck again after their fans went crazy after the lucic deal

22. hockeeyyy

hockeeyyy Registered User

Ehhhh, not really.

Just like a business or a restaurant, company culture plays a huge role in performance and happiness. No one wants to wake up dreading to go to work. Workplace culture influences work ethic, problem solving, loyalty, happiness, and team work. To say that a losing team has bad culture is a very simplistic way of looking at what culture actually means.

To answer the OP's question, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the obvious answer here. But the Chicago Blackhawks in late 2000s are another good example. I'd even argue that the Tampa Bay Lightning are probably the best example of bad culture being turned around rapidly through management versus just the players performance.

23. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

Plus ça change...

daddyohsix likes this.
  24. Nico Hischier

Nico Hischier Registered User

The devils were once called a Mickey Mouse organization by the greatest player ever and then won 3 cups in 9 years

25. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

I don’t recall Bobby Orr ever saying that...