Teams that overcame "bad culture"

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
tbh I think this whole bad culture idea is just what happens when your team isn't talented or well coached enough to win. As others have said that all hinges on the GM's decision making..... For example, you take Crosby out of Pittsburgh and I bet the culture gets a lot worse, cause they're just not nearly as good without him

granted there are certain problem players around the league (crazy guys that just can't assimilate socially with their teammates), but they are few and far between. It is more about talent

Reactions: dano16

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
tbh I think this whole bad culture idea is just what happens when your team isn't talented or well coached enough to win. As others have said that all hinges on the GM's decision making..... For example, you take Crosby out of Pittsburgh and I bet the culture gets a lot worse, cause they're just not nearly as good without him

granted there are certain problem players around the league (crazy guys that just can't assimilate socially with their teammates), but they are few and far between. It is more about talent

Sid also has a hard-earned rep as being a tremendously determined individual away from the rink, in the video room, and in practice. He keeps himself in tip-top condition and preps for game day and the season with rigor. That rubs off on others and can be a point when he, as captain puts in his two cents on what others are doing.

That said, losing teams often get the culture label. Winning often “fixes” culture.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Penguins had a reputation as one of the league's premiere country clubs, at first it was Mario's friends and then when he retired it became the Czech national team. I half think that it only changed because Sidney Crosby would rather win hockey games than keep his buddies around. Trading his best dude Colby Armstrong and then going to two consecutive Finals must have made an impression.

The Pens are not immune to having spurts of bad culture, the DB years in to the Johnston years I'd consider bad culture. Maybe top notch org., but they had their trial and tribulations. Mostly not being able to control themselves from the players up to the HC. It was quite embarrassing grown men couldn't get a grip and easily knocked off focus.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Reactions: JayfromNB1219

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Scott Malkin with the Isles. Came in as owner and made the team spend more on the ice, off the ice including this arena. Brought in the ultimate culture shocker in Lou by having a meeting with the Toronto owner, which was pretty baller.

Then Lou cleaned house and changed up the front office culture. then brought in Trotz who changed the on ice culture. Just terrific from the top down.

There's definitely the change in the front office, but NYI did not have a culture problem on the ice. They had a coaching problem with Weight. Less so with Capuano, who ran a good room, but was bad in-game. The only NYI player in recent memory who could be said to have dogged it was Ryan Strome. I can't think of any other.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
The Leafs is a recent one. Twice actually.

First-the original Muskoka Five. This was the transition to the salary cap world that the Leafs had a very hard time adjusting to. Can't just go out and throw money at the best players anymore. Cliff Fletcher was brought in to "dismantle" the team and sell off the scraps to the highest bidder. It needed to be done.

At the February 26, 2008 trade deadline, the team was 27-28-9 and some felt trades could net some good, young players to begin a rebuild. It was not to be. The Leafs made only 3 deals… Hal Gill, Wade Belak and Chad Kilger traded for a net 3 draft picks in 2008 (rounds 2, 3, 5) and a 5th round 2009 pick. The team went 9-7-2 to close the season, missing the playoffs again. The focus fell onto 5 players who had no-trade clauses (given by former GM John Ferguson Jr.), and had refused to waive them. These players were thought the Leafs’ most valuable commodities; trading one or all could potentially restock Toronto for the future. Mats Sundin, Tomas Kaberle, Darcy Tucker, Bryan McCabe and Pavel Kubina. They’d come to be known as The Muskoka Five.

The rumour of what happened was as follows: Fletcher had some deals lined up. Sundin felt that "they could still make the playoffs" and talked the rest of the guys into not waiving the no trade clauses, so the only futures aquired were for second string players. It was a bitter topic for Leafs fans, dividing fans along the pro vs anti Sundin lines.

So then Burke comes in, and arrogantly proclaims that he can rebuild the team in five years. Starts by making the horrendous Phil Kessel deal. Then the Phaneuf deal. Then Lupul. So now we have a team full of castaways from other teams, draft smaft!

It wasn't until the current regime came in and did what the fans said needed to be done since 2006. Trade off what you can for futures, bottom out, get a top pick, and reboot.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
There's definitely the change in the front office, but NYI did not have a culture problem on the ice. They had a coaching problem with Weight. Less so with Capuano, who ran a good room, but was bad in-game. The only NYI player in recent memory who could be said to have dogged it was Ryan Strome. I can't think of any other.
Maybe but there was a noticeable buy in under Trotz. I also thought there were leadership voids, especially after Hamonic left. And not too long ago Dwayne Roloson called the locker room a country club.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Maybe but there was a noticeable buy in under Trotz. I also thought there were leadership voids, especially after Hamonic left. And not too long ago Dwayne Roloson called the locker room a country club.

I'll buy the leadership void especially in the context of the Tavares distraction, but there was no culture problem in the room. There was a systems problem. Trotz has said he was given zero problems with implementation and the results speak for themselves. Culture problems don't get turned around that quickly.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'll buy the leadership void especially in the context of the Tavares distraction, but there was no culture problem in the room. There was a systems problem. Trotz has said he was given zero problems with implementation and the results speak for themselves. Culture problems don't get turned around that quickly.
Yeah true I guess, think I'm associating leadership issues with culture.

Reactions: dano16

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Penguins had a reputation as one of the league's premiere country clubs, at first it was Mario's friends and then when he retired it became the Czech national team. I half think that it only changed because Sidney Crosby would rather win hockey games than keep his buddies around. Trading his best dude Colby Armstrong and then going to two consecutive Finals must have made an impression.
I give a ton of credit to Therrien. He was the biggest kick in the pants the pens have ever gotten, and pretty much turned around the culture in less than a year back in 2006. Pens haven't missed the playoffs since.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I give a ton of credit to Therrien. He was the biggest kick in the pants the pens have ever gotten, and pretty much turned around the culture in less than a year back in 2006. Pens haven't missed the playoffs since.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about Therrien on his second tenure with the Habs. The guy was straight up evil and arrogant and created a predatory, backstabbing culture within the team which was exposed when Price went down. We are slowly recovering but Therrien was a mess.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Late 70's and most of the 80's the Wings were a pretty sad sack franchise. Illitch pumping in his Little Caesar's money and resources turned them around quickly

See- money CAN buy happiness :)

Reactions: Leksand

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Unfortunately the same can't be said about Therrien on his second tenure with the Habs. The guy was straight up evil and arrogant and created a predatory, backstabbing culture within the team which was exposed when Price went down. We are slowly recovering but Therrien was a mess.
MB having Therriens back made things worse as well!

Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
MB having Therriens back made things worse as well!

This is true for sure, meant to mention that too in my post. Therrien's hiring was one of the first things MB did as the Habs GM so obviously he would have the back of "his guy" and it only made things worse.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Dustin Brown said when he was drafted there was definitely a culture of comfort. No one really wanted to try too hard. Lot of check collecting. DL turned the culture around, at least for a while. I think it might be getting back to comfort again, but we'll see what they do this season.
Then it went downhill again after the whole Richards, Stoll, and Voynov fiasco.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Vegas quicklu got over the culture of drugs, prostitutes, and fixing games the anti-expansionists around here were certain would doom the franchise.

I don't think I once read that expansion to Vegas was a bad idea. Drugs and prostitutes are great and are found in any city if you look.

:thumbu:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
If Lou deserves credit for anything he did in Toronto, that is it. He was ruthless, and took a room that had bad culture from both a professional and winning perspective, launched Lupul and his partying into the sun, got Kadri on the straight and narrow, and shaped the team's future.

Kessel, Phaneuf, and co. *Shudders*
Remember when Komisarek was the big signing to start the "change"? That was a big deal at the time. People started to want to come to Toronto.

Add Phaneuf and his locker room music stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad